PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Don Banks: Call Off the Season, The Super Bowl Is Set

didnt think banks of all people will write this. Iam not even convinced about seattle , forget the broncos.

Call Off the Season: The Super Bowl Is Set | The MMQB with Peter King

haha...found this gem in the comments, written by banks after last year's playoffs:

"The playoffs serve to settle things, and Manning has been average at best when it matters most. In his 14 seasons of NFL action, Manning's teams have made the playoffs a whopping 12 times. But Saturday's double overtime loss to the underdog Ravens was the eighth time Manning has gone one-and-done in the postseason. Eight out of 12 one-and-dones. That's a staggering number, and means two-thirds of his playoff trips have been over almost before they ever started.

Manning had a great 2012 season, and his stellar return to form was one of the stories of the year in the NFL. But the reality is he returned to form in the playoffs as well, and the Broncos have now seen both the highs and the lows of life with Manning."

I'll accept Seattle. They have an excellent defense all around except for run defense, which is only middle of the pack. They also have a sound offense that would be even more dangerous with a healthy Harvin. I'm not convinced on the Broncos just yet, and am fully anticipating the day that Manning chokes in the playoffs (hopefully to the Patriots).

Almost puked when I saw that pic of Manning

didn't they predict the donkeys to win it all last year as well?

Haven't they learned anything? :confused:

I'll accept Seattle. They have an excellent defense all around except for run defense, which is only middle of the pack. They also have a sound offense that would be even more dangerous with a healthy Harvin. I'm not convinced on the Broncos just yet, and am fully anticipating the day that Manning chokes in the playoffs (hopefully to the Patriots).

No love for the Saints? I understand the Hawks and Broncos being favorites at the moment, but going beyond that is nothing more than melodrama.

I think this is pretty tongue-in-cheek. Banks is usually more sober in his writing.

Seattle, I can buy. New Orleans is the only team that can give them a run right now, especially if they meet in New Orleans.

im not sold on anyone after week 4

denver looks great, but the 2nd season is a LONG ways away

seattle still struggles on the road.....houston had them beat save for one stupid play call and one horrendous pass

i expect SF to rebound

NO looks good

NE is going to improve each week

KC might be for real.....a year away, but might knock someone in january

someone else will emerge....GB, CHIC, who knows

injuries change all

No love for the Saints? I understand the Hawks and Broncos being favorites at the moment, but going beyond that is nothing more than melodrama.

I need to see New Orleans beat a contender on the road before I can put them in the same breath as the Seahawks.

NO has a brutal stretch of SF, @ATL on a Thursday and @ Seattle. Those three games likely decide who's the #1 seed. I don't see Seattle or NO going into the other stadium and winning a road game in the playoffs.

In the AFC the Broncos still haven't played anybody and while their offense is looking unstoppable their defense isn't great and the four teams they've beaten aren't good offenses.

As others have said all it takes is one injury to change the complexion of an entire team. The 2007 Patriots lost Colvin which moved Thomas and weakened the middle of their defense and then in the final game they lost Neal which really hurt the OLine especially coupled with a gimpy Brady. So it doesn't even have to be the stars. 2011 gimpy Gronkowski in the SB, etc.

For a site held with such high esteem as this, with Peter King leading the way, this is utter tripe.

Although I do feel the Seahawks are a real contender for a place...but that's stating the obvious given their form.

Iam not sold on seattle , unless they have Home field throught. NO is the same way.

The 2007 Patriots destroyed everyone, including good teams. Let's see where Denver is in ten weeks after playing a couple teams who don't suck tremendously.

NO has a brutal stretch of SF, @ATL on a Thursday and @ Seattle. Those three games likely decide who's the #1 seed. I don't see Seattle or NO going into the other stadium and winning a road game in the playoffs.

In the AFC the Broncos still haven't played anybody and while their offense is looking unstoppable their defense isn't great and the four teams they've beaten aren't good offenses.

As others have said all it takes is one injury to change the complexion of an entire team. The 2007 Patriots lost Colvin which moved Thomas and weakened the middle of their defense and then in the final game they lost Neal which really hurt the OLine especially coupled with a gimpy Brady. So it doesn't even have to be the stars. 2011 gimpy Gronkowski in the SB, etc.
I think SEA could win in NO but not the other way around. What a difference Payton makes for that team, though.

People weren't sure what to make of the Patriots after beating a 2-2 Bills, a 2-2 Jets, and a 0-4 Bucs. But the media is convinced that the Broncos are Super Bowl bound after beating a 2-2 Ravens, an 0-4 Giants, a 1-3 Eagles, and 1-3 Raiders.

The Broncos haven't really faced anyone. Yes, they look like world beaters this year, but look at last year. They destroyed the weak competition on their schedule and struggled against the good teams.

I think the Saints are the best team in the NFC.

Isn't this a rehash article from last year :confused:

It wouldn't surprise me if a 6th seed wins it again. The big money people can make way more coin that way. :rolleyes:

im not sold on anyone after week 4

Exactly, at one point last year the Texans faced the Bears in prime time matchup that was built up as a potential Super Bowl preview (Texans were first in their conference and Bears were top 3 in theirs).

The Bears didn't even make the playoffs and Texans fizzled at the end.

Meh....Manning is a choke artist and Seahawks almost got beaten by Matt Schaub lulz.

If our D continues to play like this and we get healthy at the right time. I sense another Manning choke coming once winter rolls around.

In fairness to Banks, this article is far less over the top reactionary than all the articles after opening weekend that declared Chip Kelly has changed how offenses are going to be run in the NFL after the Eagles had a successful first half of the first game of the season.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back