PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does Patterson Replace Amendola?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be very interesting to see how things unfold the first 4 weeks.

I would suspect we will see some adjustments with respect to routes and schemes as I don't see CP or PD as having the same type of skills as Amendola or Edelman. As Chad O'Shea said in an interview yesterday, they really are designed to take advantage of players' skillsets.

I also think and this is probably even more important is will Brady have enough confidence in these 2 to target them consistently. The preseason would suggest yes but with limited game planning, it's tough to make any conclusions.
It’s not really Brady having confidence but McDaniel.
The play call dictates largely where Brady throws the ball. No doubt he determines what is “open” for each player. But if they look at film, see a player as the progression be open and ask Brady why he didn’t throw to him, if Brady says I don’t trust the guy either they tell him throw anyway, or they don’t put the guy on the field any more.

It’s not really Brady having confidence but McDaniel.
The play call dictates largely where Brady throws the ball. No doubt he determines what is “open” for each player. But if they look at film, see a player as the progression be open and ask Brady why he didn’t throw to him, if Brady says I don’t trust the guy either they tell him throw anyway, or they don’t put the guy on the field any more.

Well I certainly don't think Brady is going to say "I don't trust him". It's not quite as simple as that. A dropped pass or being in the wrong spot can be enough for Brady to look elsewhere. We've seen that happen.
In answer to your original question, I think the production can be replaced and I certainly hope it is because if I'm scheming against them, I'm going to try my best to limit the damage that Gronk and White will do which should then open up opportunities for them.

Well I certainly don't think Brady is going to say "I don't trust him". It's not quite as simple as that. A dropped pass or being in the wrong spot can be enough for Brady to look elsewhere. We've seen that happen.
In answer to your original question, I think the production can be replaced and I certainly hope it is because if I'm scheming against them, I'm going to try my best to limit the damage that Gronk and White will do which should then open up opportunities for them.
If Brady skips a progression of an open receiver it will get discussed in film grade/review.
Contrary to popular misconception Brady has never refused to throw the ball to an open receiver at his progression.
Plays have progressions and rhythm he doesn’t just look around and pick out who he likes.

Production = Yes
Intangibles = No

Trust, Brady had a ridiculous amount of trust in DA. Almost as much as he has in Edelman and Gronk. I'm not sure Patterson even has a catch from Brady yet in the preseason. Hogan & Mitchell gained that trust pretty quickly, so maybe Patterson can too. I think Dorsett is the true DA replacement. I can see him playing the slot until Edelman comes back. Hogan and Patterson on the outside, Dorsett in the slot. And whoever they keep from Lucien, Berrios & McCarron, will be the #4 receiver.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
If Brady skips a progression of an open receiver it will get discussed in film grade/review.
Contrary to popular misconception Brady has never refused to throw the ball to an open receiver at his progression.
Plays have progressions and rhythm he doesn’t just look around and pick out who he likes.

Yes I'm very aware that "he doesn't just look around and picks out who he likes".

Let's let the creativity of McDaniels and the unmatched read and recognition skills of Brady lead this offense to the elite status we've come to expect.

Comments:

- The Pats always kept Amendola on a "pitch count" during the regular season before unleashing him in the play-offs. That being said...yes CP or Dorsett will match Amendola's regular season production...no doubt.

- Amendola is a hard player to compare to...he was our WR4 who morphed into a WR1/2 during the play-offs.

- I cannot wait for the season to start....it will be fun watching this offense put it all together....

To clarify I am not saying Patterson steps into Amendolas shoes, I am talking about replacing production and the fact that Patterson looks like a good fit in some of the roles Amendola was used in.

I believe he can replace that production as well as add another threat to defenses . I don’t know about the clutch play issue but hope someone can step up

Amendola was clutch in his first game (vs BUF) and his last game for the Pats. I love the guy and will appreciate him forever. Truth is though none of really saw his amazing clutch-ness coming. Hopefully CP and my binky PD can make up for his loss.

PS- I kinda wish that DA won the MVP of SB51.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results