PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anyone know what player we lost to get pick 199 (Brady)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brady199

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I of all people should have the answer to this question.

I just heard on the NFL Network that we selected Brady with a copensentory pick, I was wondering if anyone knew what player we lost in FA the year before that gave us pick 199 in 2000?:)

Jerry Ellison - RB Bucs
Heath Irwin - G/C Dolphins
Steve Israel - CB Saints
Shawn Jefferson - WR Falcons
Jeff Kopp - LB Seahawks
Bob Kuberski - DT Broncos
Marty Moore - LB browns
Chris Sullivan - DL steelers

do you get a pick for loosing multiple players, I thought one player merits one pick depending on his value.

like this year everyone thought we would get a third for losing Adam V. but i heard we only got a fourth pick for him?

do you get a pick for loosing multiple players, I thought one player merits one pick depending on his value.

like this year everyone thought we would get a third for losing Adam V. but i heard we only got a fourth pick for him?

The Pats got a 6th for losing Vinatieri. The Pats got a 4th for Givens. Its based, primarily, on the value of AAV of the contract that the player signs. There is some movement depending on how well the player plays, but that player has to far surpass the expectations to get that movement.

And most everyone thought we'd get a 6th for AV. It was actually the minority who felt we'd get a 3rd for him.

Jerry Ellison - RB Bucs
Steve Israel - CB Saints
Jeff Kopp - LB Seahawks
Marty Moore - LB browns

My guess is that it was either Chris Sullivan or Steve Israel. I don't know who the Patriots signed that year.

Jefferson left for good money so its unlikely that it was him.

Israel was at the end of the his career, I doubt it was him. Probably Sullivan or Marty Moore.

4th for Givens was a steal. Everyone expected Vinetari to get at least a 4th. Too bad the NFL will never appreciate kickers.

Hi everyone

This is my first (and probably last post)
I've been lurking on this site for 3 years because the threads and messages are very valuable to a Patriots fan. I look in at least once a day.

This topic peaked my curiousity years ago - so I looked up what might have led us to receiving the pick that turned out to be Tom Brady.

I believe that (and I could be wrong) that compensatory picks are from previous years defections. ie 2007 draft choices are for 2006 losses.
So, if I got it right then 2000 compensatory picks should be from 1999 losses.
Which were

Todd Collins
Tom Tupa
Mark Wheeler
Dave Wohlabaugh
Devin Wyman
Scott Zolak

The value to me is that I've wondered for the past 2 or 3 years if Zolak knows how valueable a Patriot he truely is (might as well give him the credit)
(That is if I've got it right)
I'll go back to lurking - thank you everyone for all your posts that keep Patriot fans being fans for 365

Let's just say it was Marty Moore for team folklore purposes... Marty was one of the feel good players in the Bledsoe era - and was Mr. Irrelevant - the last person chosen in the draft (8th round I believe)

So basically, after what was a pretty productive career, the team lets Mr. Irrelevant move on to another team and uses the compensatory pick to restock with THE BEST QB IN FRANCHISE HISTORY who leads them to 3+ Super Bowls.

Yeah - that's a nice story. I think I'll go with that.

Hi everyone

This is my first (and probably last post)
I've been lurking on this site for 3 years because the threads and messages are very valuable to a Patriots fan. I look in at least once a day.

This topic peaked my curiousity years ago - so I looked up what might have led us to receiving the pick that turned out to be Tom Brady.

I believe that (and I could be wrong) that compensatory picks are from previous years defections. ie 2007 draft choices are for 2006 losses.
So, if I got it right then 2000 compensatory picks should be from 1999 losses.
Which were

Todd Collins
Tom Tupa
Mark Wheeler
Dave Wohlabaugh
Devin Wyman
Scott Zolak

The value to me is that I've wondered for the past 2 or 3 years if Zolak knows how valueable a Patriot he truely is (might as well give him the credit)
(That is if I've got it right)
I'll go back to lurking - thank you everyone for all your posts that keep Patriot fans being fans for 365

Its not specifically players lost. It is players signed to another team. I don't believe that Zolak signed with another team after the Patriots.

If your list is correct, then it was, more than likely, Collins or Wheeler as Wohlabaugh got a good contract when he left.

4th for Givens was a steal. Everyone expected Vinetari to get at least a 4th. Too bad the NFL will never appreciate kickers.

The Pats got a 5 for Givens, not a 4.

for 2000 comp picks, we had 127, 199, 201 and 239

going to see if I can dig up the specifics of these...

Last edited:
i believe givens was a 6th

he was a TE at notre dame.
he made himself into an NFL-caliber WR.
wish he was till here.
i'm sure brady does too.

Jerry Ellison - RB Bucs
Steve Israel - CB Saints
Jeff Kopp - LB Seahawks
Marty Moore - LB browns

marty moore was a 'mr irrelevant'.
he and chris sullivan are players i wish were still with the home team.
as for the rest, so be it.

I of all people should have the answer to this question.

I just heard on the NFL Network that we selected Brady with a copensentory pick, I was wondering if anyone knew what player we lost in FA the year before that gave us pick 199 in 2000?:)
What does it matter? Should the Patriot org pat themselves on the back for obtaining Brady in exchange for whoever-that-was-long-forgotten-player, or breathing a sigh of relief that they were dumb-lucky enough to secure Brady so late in the draft? Chances are that if it was a comp pick and that we never received that comp pick, we still would have drafted Brady, or perhaps gotten him as an undrafted FA.

Its not specifically players lost. It is players signed to another team. I don't believe that Zolak signed with another team after the Patriots.

If your list is correct, then it was, more than likely, Collins or Wheeler as Wohlabaugh got a good contract when he left.
he signed with the jets

Didn't zolak end up w/ the dolphins for 1 year?

Zolak left the Pats in 1998 and played with Miami in 1999 to finish out his career so he's irrelevant to this conversation

Mr. Irrelevant Marty Moore actually had his best year with Cleveland after leaving New England in 2000 - he returned a year later but only played 3 more games for us in 2001.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes