PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Does anybody love the NFL but hates College Football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watch the occasional game when Boston College is on a roll (like in this season)...

But I would agree... compared to the NFL, it sucks big time. They have too many players rotating, their play is inconsistent from one game to the next and there is a lot of ridiculous scoring / play calling ... Some of the plays they execute are laughable...

But hey, what do you expect ? This isn't the NFL. I think the NFL spoils you a lot. I remember going to a High School game once and although you realize these are young players who are still learning the game.. the play calling is sometimes appaling (from the QB or coach)... Makes you want to scream and tackle someone. Anyway, that's why I prefer to stick to the NFL, particularly if I want to watch a game..

Bill Belichick said he learned the most from a high school coach who had only 3 plays in his playbook, and he whipped people. Why? He taught his players how to execute the play perfectly. Sometimes there is a certain beauty in the simplicity of the game at that level.

For all the talk of the BCS and its pitfalls, no two teams deserve to be there more than LSU and Ohio State.

Neither of these teams took a bad loss this year.

Which potential #7 picks have we got to look out for tonight then?

Gholston
Laurinaitis
Jenkins?

Or later:
Doucet?
Highsmith?

I want to follow college ball more closely, but as a working mom it's hard to take dibs on two weekend days.

I find myself lost when it comes to the draft. I'd love to have seen the guys play and form my own opinions when it comes down to draft weekend.

I don't know if can you drop the two worst and pick up the two best, I believe it is based on the enrollment numbers (I could be wrong).

Unless I'm very much mistaken, division assignment is based solely on the amount of money you're willing to sink into football (e.g. size of stadium, etc):

University of Miami, enrollment: 15,000
UMass-Amherst, enrollment: 25,000

I recall reading several years ago about a run-of-the-mill Florida school (either USF or UCF, can't quite recall) where the president decided he was going to put the school on the map by pouring $millions into establishing a D1 football program -- no expense spared on facilities, coaches, etc. Apparently he figured it was quicker and easier than building a reputation for the actual university. :rolleyes: But overall, D1 football is not a smart proposition, financially. For every Michigan and Ohio State there are a ton of Toledos, Idahos, Ball States that pay out far more than they take in. Football is expensive. When UConn decided to move up it had to triple its football budget -- and that doesn't even count the expense of the extra women's scholarships to meet title IX.

Most schools are much better off trying to buy themselves a basketball team! Just a dozen players, an arena (multi-use) rather than a stadium, minimal equipment, etc.

For all the talk of the BCS and its pitfalls, no two teams deserve to be there more than LSU and Ohio State.

Neither of these teams took a bad loss this year.

You can make that case.

You can also say that LSU losing to not just one but two different 5 loss teams was 2 bad losses. Some would say Ohio St. getting beaten at home by that Illinois team that got destroyed by USC last week wasn't a good loss either.

In every other major sport those arguments are meaningless. They settle it on the field. In college football they settle it by computers, coaches, and media members voting. Imagine the Patriots Super bowl trips depending in part on Ron Borges deciding between NE and Indy when the regular season ended. In college football that actually happens.

And that is why no matter who wins tonight you will turn on your TV/radio tomorrow and hear people say that they think USC would beat both of them and it is a legit argument. Was 2 loss LSU be better than 2 loss USC? No one will ever know.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, division assignment is based solely on the amount of money you're willing to sink into football (e.g. size of stadium, etc):

University of Miami, enrollment: 15,000
UMass-Amherst, enrollment: 25,000

I recall reading several years ago about a run-of-the-mill Florida school (either USF or UCF, can't quite recall) where the president decided he was going to put the school on the map by pouring $millions into establishing a D1 football program -- no expense spared on facilities, coaches, etc. Apparently he figured it was quicker and easier than building a reputation for the actual university. :rolleyes: But overall, D1 football is not a smart proposition, financially. For every Michigan and Ohio State there are a ton of Toledos, Idahos, Ball States that pay out far more than they take in. Football is expensive. When UConn decided to move up it had to triple its football budget -- and that doesn't even count the expense of the extra women's scholarships to meet title IX.

Most schools are much better off trying to buy themselves a basketball team! Just a dozen players, an arena (multi-use) rather than a stadium, minimal equipment, etc.

Thanks. That makes sense. For some reason I thought it was handled like high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down