PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Discussing an Edelman contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL.......the Pats should just offer Edelman more and let guys like Hightower walk

I have a better idea.......that extra money you want to give Edelman? give it to Hightower instead

He loves Tom. If the Pats do want to extend him, I can't see negotiations being too difficult.

I don't worry about JE, he will get a nice paycheck next year from the Patriots, enough for him to finish his career in a Pats uniform and be happy with his contract. He loves Boston, loves Amendola and Brady and now Hogan, I think these guys want to stick together until the end.

I don't worry about JE, he will get a nice paycheck next year from the Patriots, enough for him to finish his career in a Pats uniform and be happy with his contract. He loves Boston, loves Amendola and Brady and now Hogan, I think these guys want to stick together until the end.

And we need him to continue to mentor Mitchell like during the Pittsburgh game ....

JE11 is as important to Brady (if not more) than AB is for Big Ben, Hopkins is for Houston offense, Nelson is Rodgers. OK Beckham Jr, Julio Jones, the guy that plays for the Bengals, these guys are in a different league, but not counting fancy names, draft status and only looking in terms of being functional to the offense, I think Brady if he could choose any name JE would be in his top 5 choices.

But yeah, maybe the market will not overpay for his services, anyway is a name under the radar in all speculations about the future and retaining players from this current SB run.

I wonder if it irks JE a little bit that most of the WRs making 3x what he makes are watching the Super Bowl on TV year after year after putting up similar numbers during the regular season.

Edelman isn't even top 10, he's a system guy with Tom Brady throwing him the ball, there's a reason he went out tested FA and came back to the Patriots on very little money, no one was willing to offer him a big payday.

These guys are all clearly better without debate, then you got other guys who many would also think are better.

Julio Jones
Antonio Brown
Odell Beckham
AJ Green
DeAndre Hopkins
TY Hilton
Mike Evans
Dez Bryant
Jordy Nelson
Amari Cooper

I worry about signing up an undersized WR well into his mid 30's to big money, you don't want to start paying people for what they've already done.

JE11 is as important to Brady (if not more) than AB is for Big Ben, Hopkins is for Houston offense, Nelson is Rodgers. OK Beckham Jr, Julio Jones, the guy that plays for the Bengals, these guys are in a different league, but not counting fancy names, draft status and only looking in terms of being functional to the offense, I think Brady if he could choose any name JE would be in his top 5 choices.

But yeah, maybe the market will not overpay for his services, anyway is a name under the radar in all speculations about the future and retaining players from this current SB run.

I love JE, but lets be real if BB had a choice between Julio, Hopkins, AB, Beckham Jr, Evans at the same salary he takes all of those over JE without a blink. Top 10 is a better argument than top 5 and this is coming from a huge JE fan.

I wonder if it irks JE a little bit that most of the WRs making 3x what he makes are watching the Super Bowl on TV year after year after putting up similar numbers during the regular season.

I think JE is grateful that he gets balls from Brady and after beinga 7th round QB he is still in the league and universally popular. He's a smart guy

I think JE is grateful that he gets balls from Brady and after beinga 7th round QB he is still in the league and universally popular. He's a smart guy

I think JE loves playing with Brady. I also think he does not think he has been handed a damn thing.

Beckham would never make it in NE. $20 talent, 2 cent head.

E
These guys are all clearly better without debate, then you got other guys who many would also think are better.

Julio Jones
Antonio Brown
Odell Beckham
AJ Green
DeAndre Hopkins
TY Hilton
Mike Evans
Dez Bryant
Jordy Nelson
Amari Cooper
The numbers do not back your assertions, even a little bit.

Many of those receivers did not have #s in 2016 that were what the dottering midget put up.

TY Hilton had 340 more yards and 3 more TDs
Mike Evans had 200 more yards and 9 more TDs
Jordy Nelson had 150 more yards and 11 more TDs
Amari Cooper had basically the same numbers but 2 more TDs
Dez Bryant had a couple of hundred yards less but 5 more TDs and had a rookie QB

Seems like they do, quite a bit actually.

Last edited:
TY Hilton had 340 more yards and 3 more TDs
Mike Evans had 200 more yards and 9 more TDs
Jordy Nelson had 150 more yards and 11 more TDs
Amari Cooper had basically the same numbers but 2 more TDs
Dez Bryant had a couple of hundred yards less but 5 more TDs and had a rookie QB

Seems like they do, quite a bit actually.

Dez Bryant had a couple hundred yards and 48 Fewer Catches than Edelman.

You like home run hitters, and that's fine, but that doesn't make them 'better', just because they're awesome in your fantasy league.

Dez Bryant had a couple hundred yards and 48 Fewer Catches than Edelman.

You like home run hitters, and that's fine, but that doesn't make them 'better', just because they're awesome in your fantasy league.

In a run heavy offense with a rookie QB, some Patriots fans are deluded, there's a reason Julian Edelman earns $4 million a year and not $15 million and it's not because he loves the Patriots.

It's because he's a nice little system WR who fits the Patriots but they'd rather let him walk than pay him anymore than the 4 years $17m he got.

Edelman isn't even top 10, he's a system guy with Tom Brady throwing him the ball, there's a reason he went out tested FA and came back to the Patriots on very little money, no one was willing to offer him a big payday.

Julio Jones
Antonio Brown
Odell Beckham
AJ Green
DeAndre Hopkins
TY Hilton
Mike Evans
Dez Bryant
Jordy Nelson
Amari Cooper

I worry about signing up an undersized WR well into his mid 30's to big money, you don't want to start paying people for what they've already done.

Name 5 better.

I'm not taking the bait of naming five better receivers than Julian Edelman, considering the list above more than makes the point. What do you think some of those guys numbers would be if Tom Brady were throwing them the ball and they were receiving the most targets on the team? There are lots of really talented receivers out there who have garbage QBs...case in point, is Edelman a better receiver than the previously unknown Chris Hogan? I don't think the overall difference is that great. Hogan was tremendously better on a yards per target basis this year and had the outside speed and size to come up with a lot of big plays within this offense. How many guys out there could thrive here like Hogan? Many. Tom Brady makes players who don't even belong in the NFL into serviceable players. Has anyone seen Kenbrell Thompkins or Aaron Dobson lately? During their rookie years, many on this board thought they were good because they got necessary playing time and we still went 12-4 and had decent success on offense.

I get it - you love Edelman and with anyone someone names, you are going to make an assumptive argument that player X may have better numbers and more athleticism, but he isn't tough/smart, etc. like Edelman. Maybe that is true to a degree on some of them...I'm sure the same would have been said about Randy Moss if he never played here - that he was pure athleticism but too one dimensional and not tough, not intelligent, etc. etc.

If Edelman's agent told any NFL team he was even sniffing around for "top 5" money the meeting would cancelled. Sorry - Edelman is a great player and a true champion, but this thread is about his market value and where his overall skills rank among his NFL peers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents