PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Deion Branch is a Top 5 Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

smg93

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ok, so an SI Columnist says we should have kept Deion. But look at this statistic from an article in Profootball talk:

"SMITH SOARS INTO TOP FIVE

Panthers receiver Steve Smith is one of the five best receivers in the NFL. Now, he's getting paid that way.

Agent Derrick Fox tells us that Smith's new contract will make him one of the five highest-paid wideouts in the league, based on average payout per year. The others are Colts receiver Marvin Harrison, Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens, Broncos receiver Javon Walker, and Seahawks receiver Deion Branch."

WOW. I'm glad we didn't end up with this deal. Granted, it's based on average payout and not guaranteed money, but come on. Top 5? I don't think so.

Oops, sorry. Just clicked on the "Let's Play which one doesn't belong" thread and its exactly the same topic as this.

Ok, so an SI Columnist says we should have kept Deion. But look at this statistic from an article in Profootball talk:

"SMITH SOARS INTO TOP FIVE

Panthers receiver Steve Smith is one of the five best receivers in the NFL. Now, he's getting paid that way.

Agent Derrick Fox tells us that Smith's new contract will make him one of the five highest-paid wideouts in the league, based on average payout per year. The others are Colts receiver Marvin Harrison, Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens, Broncos receiver Javon Walker, and Seahawks receiver Deion Branch."

WOW. I'm glad we didn't end up with this deal. Granted, it's based on average payout and not guaranteed money, but come on. Top 5? I don't think so.

27 million in new money plus the 10.95 he was scheduled to make over 3 years,bringing him to 37.95 over 6 seasons. Unknown what's guaranteed and how much in the 1st 3 years.
(PFT)

Branch wasn't even the best receiver on his own team last year.
If we end up paying Randy Moss big money next year, I'll know it's because he's earned it.
I'd much rather take my chances on Moss than Branch. At least Moss can claim to be a legit #1 receiver in this league.

Deion definitely doesn't belong in that group. Not only does he NOT belong in the top five, but he doesn't belong in the TOP 10 either.

I would put these guys ahead of him (in no particular order)

M.Harrison
T.Owens
S.Smith
C.Johnson
T.Holt
L.Fitzgerald
D.Driver
P.Burress
H.Ward
S.Moss
L.Coles
A.Boldin
J.Walker
R.Moss
D.Jackson

there ya go, 15 guys that are better than Deion Branch

okay, maybe I should insert Reggie Wayne for Santana Moss

I'll take my chances with either Moss or Stallworth, both of whom are MUCH better receivers than Meion.

Steve Smith is a top 5 and I can't argue the extension. He is one of my favorite non-Patriots.

I think Branch is a top 10 in our offense with Tom Brady throwing him the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes