PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive Front Seven Better Than In 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Defensive Front Seven Better Than 2011

I agree that I do over-rate the defensive front seven a bit. However, these units are not the reason we aren't undefeated. They are not the problem going forward. Do you disagree?

My top three issues going forward are:
1) the secondary, especially free safety and nickel back,
2) turnovers on offense, and
3) turnovers and lack of production in the return game.

Do you disagree?

I suppose I could add lack of production from the #4 receiving target.

Your ability to overate the front seven is noted. Carry on....

I agree that I do over-rate the defensive front seven a bit. However, these units are not the reason we aren't undefeated. They are not the problem going forward. Do you disagree?

My top three issues going forward are:
1) the secondary, especially free safety and nickel back,
2) turnovers on offense, and
3) turnovers and lack of production in the return game.

Do you disagree?

I suppose I could add lack of production from the #4 receiving target.

It depends upon how you mean "the problem" and "going forward". Are we rating the problems and ignoring all but #1 on our list? If so, then it's true that the front 7 is not the #1 problem, and will not be as long as that defensive backfield remains the travesty it is today. However, the linebackers showed, quite convincingly, that they are an issue/problem, in the Steelers game.

I think a more accurate way to break down the defense is to point to the D-line as a decent group that might get better with the return of Deaderick and Brace, the linebackers as a bad group that has one full time player who's rehabbing an MCL sprain, one quality run stopper who's also got an MCL issue, and a bunch of Jags and/or stiffs, and a defensive backfield that's terrible.

As for going forward, I'm assuming you mean just for this year. If you're including next year and beyond, the D-line questions become much more problematic.

Last edited:

I agree with your comments.

With regard to 2012 and beyond, of course we need to continue to add players. After all Carter is only signed to a one-year deal. Belichick will choose whether to get this help from the draft and/or from free agency.

Deaderick, Wilfork, Pryor, Brace, Love, Ninkovich, Cunningham
Mayo, Spikes, Fletcher

would be our carryovers into 2012. As is the case each year, we need upgrades and new faces. I still don't think that the front seven will be our majority talent problem going forward into 2012.
I would like to see us add a young stud, but adding four vets as we did this year works also. This is still a fairly young front seven.

On the other hand, I could see us adding FOUR new faces in the secondary, if we could find them, and 2-3 wide receivers.

It depends upon how you mean "the problem" and "going forward". Are we rating the problems and ignoring all but #1 on our list? If so, then it's true that the front 7 is not the #1 problem, and will not be as long as that defensive backfield remains the travesty it is today. However, the linebackers showed, quite convincingly, that they are an issue/problem, in the Steelers game.

I think a more accurate way to break down the defense is to point to the D-line as a decent group that might get better with the return of Deaderick and Brace, the linebackers as a bad group that has one full time player who's rehabbing an MCL sprain, one quality run stopper who's also got an MCL issue, and a bunch of Jags and/or stiffs, and a defensive backfield that's terrible.

As for going forward, I'm assuming you mean just for this year. If you're including next year and beyond, the D-line questions become much more problematic.

Last edited:

Cunningham?????? Cunningham?????? where art thou Jermain Cunningham?????? Amazing how that kid fell off from year one to two.:rolleyes:

It happens. He has been injured. Also, we have changed systems. Enough with the excuses. Cunningham is not the quality of player that we expected. We hit on Spikes and likely whiffed on Cunningham.

Cunningham?????? Cunningham?????? where art thou Jermain Cunningham?????? Amazing how that kid fell off from year one to two.:rolleyes:

The issue in free agency was not money. If Belichick wanted to spend $6M a year, he had it available for an additional defensive back. Obviously, he should have brought in someone if he was so unhappy with Meriweather and Sanders (and Butler and Wilhite). In any case, the money was there.

Yes, Belichick overpaid for Ellis, but this is simply 100% hindsight. Belichick underpaid for Carter. Belichick focused on 2011. The money was there for Carter AND Ellis and even two more players at their salaries.

You wouldn't have drafted a corner. OK. I disagree. We needed a corner to replace Bodden in 2012. HOWEVER, I also liked Brooks Reed at the time.

And yes, Belichick each year has traded into the future. Each year, we still have plenty of picks. I think it reasonable to trade one forward. I, for one, was glad to see us drafting in the middle of the first round and choosing between a defensive player and an OT. Many would have chosen Wilkerson instead.

So, in the end, the draft is part of the offseason. Belichick chose to meet the defensive front seven needs in free agency. Let's focus on 2011. I's rather have Carter, Anderson and Ellis than Brooks and Wilkerson. And I still have the pick and the young corner for 2012.

I was merely doing a money-wise apples to apples......I think to a degree they are budget drive irregardless of cap

I disagree.....I would take wilkerson and reed.......carter anderson and ellis have contributed mightily to the worst defense in the NFL while both reed and wilkerson have contributed to some of the best......

its hard to make ellis, anderson and carter look like liabilities when the entire defense has been a liability......the dominoes have all fallen

the 2012 pick means nothing if it is just going to be turned into 2nd round picks that fail

Last edited:

The issue in free agency was not money. If Belichick wanted to spend $6M a year, he had it available for an additional defensive back. Obviously, he should have brought in someone if he was so unhappy with Meriweather and Sanders (and Butler and Wilhite). In any case, the money was there.

Yes, Belichick overpaid for Ellis, but this is simply 100% hindsight.

False. We Jets fans were telling you just that at the time - and so was the Jets' front office (albeit indirectly, through the much, much lower offer they were making). You were bidding against yourself on this one.

So, in the end, the draft is part of the offseason. Belichick chose to meet the defensive front seven needs in free agency. Let's focus on 2011. I's rather have Carter, Anderson and Ellis than Brooks and Wilkerson.

I think that's shortsighted and probably wrong even in the short term.

Remember when....

..in the second preseason game of the year when the Patriots harrassed the Bucs offense ALL game?!?! I mean, remember when you felt the Bucs would be lucky to get a yard? There was QB pressure on almost every play.

Well, then the third preseason game came against the Lions and we realized the true nature of this year's defense.

It's a shame thinking about how dominant they were in that one game.

Re: Remember when....

..in the second preseason game of the year when the Patriots harrassed the Bucs offense ALL game?!?! I mean, remember when you felt the Bucs would be lucky to get a yard? There was QB pressure on almost every play.

Well, then the third preseason game came against the Lions and we realized the true nature of this year's defense.

alright, I'm done with this site for a while.

Re: Remember when....

It was a scrimmage, for chrissakes. Practice, I'm talkin' about practice...

The Pats defense is ranked last in the NFL. Both 2010 and 2011 front 7 simply lack talent and impact players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back