PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense - SD vs NE

Status
Not open for further replies.
the chargers had enough depth on the roster to go 14-2 DESPITE those injuries! now the patriots face the chargers at FULL STRENGTH (minus one backup DLineman). that shouldn't be hard to understand.

if they are a very good team (14-2) fighting through injuries, they are even better when healthy. agreed?

You faced a weak schedule to get to 14-2, and now you're in the playoffs against a strong team. Is that so difficult to understand?

Let's get back to discussing cold hard facts much as our troll friends would like to distract us from them.

will you stop posting your skewed facts? if you would read through the thread you would understand that the stats you spit don't fit the team playing on sunday. the patriots aren't going up against a charger team that managed to go 14-2 despite losing numerous key players to injuries and suspension.. the patriots are playing a healthy, dominating SD defense. end of story.

You faced a weak schedule to get to 14-2, and now you're in the playoffs against a strong team. Is that so difficult to understand?

I remember having this same exact argument with Colt and Jags fans last season and neither of them wanted to believe it either.

How many playoff games did those teams win last year - Combined?

will you stop posting your skewed facts? if you would read through the thread you would understand that the stats you spit don't fit the team playing on sunday. the patriots aren't going up against a charger team that managed to go 14-2 despite losing numerous key players to injuries and suspension.. the patriots are playing a healthy, dominating SD defense. end of story.

The only facts being skewed are the ones that you are bringing. See my response a few posts up.;)

don't even bring up the weak schedule argument. it's already been shot down. the two teams we lost to are a combined 22-10. the teams you lost to are 37-27. what does that tell you?

the chargers had enough depth on the roster to go 14-2 DESPITE those injuries! now the patriots face the chargers at FULL STRENGTH (minus one backup DLineman). that shouldn't be hard to understand.

if they are a very good team (14-2) fighting through injuries, they are even better when healthy. agreed?

Okay--I will not agree, but nor shall I disagree. I think that the conclusion is presumptive. For an example at our end, Eugene Wilson was our starter opposite Harrison. If he was cleared to play this weekend, I don't think he would start. Patrick Pass was our starting FB, I don't know that he would even be active this weekend if he was not on IR.

I think that health is relative. Bledsoe in 2001 is another good example of a team actually being better when it is NOT healthy.

That is all I am saying here--I think that it is flawed to presume that a healthy team is always better, especially when the team that is presented as healthy relies primarily upon practice snaps for their in-season time spent together. Sometimes it is best to go with the 'hot hand', no?

In the games you guys cherry picked: Your defense was a +5.8 (PA:14.5 - Opp team avg 20.5) keep in mind that the 20.5 is the entire seasons sample which is a 4-1 comparison and does not take into account any significant injuries to the opposing offense - not that it favors you guys or anything.

Now the Pats entire season without cherry picking the games where every offensive starter was healthy - they were a +4.7. In the 8 road games they are a +7.3.

In the 4-1 sample your defense is a +1.1

In the 2-1 sample your defense is a -1.5

So please explain to me how your defense is much better than our offense?

Even when all of the samples are overwhelmingly in your favor, the numbers still don't support your presumption.

since it seems too difficult for you to understand, why don't you look at the rosters in direct comparison.. using the players who will be playing on sunday (not the stats from their backups).

SD's front seven vs. the NE line + TE's & RB:

san diego will dominate the line of scrimmage, with jamal williams plugging the middle, igor and louis pinching the pocket, and merriman/phillips will be collapsing the sides. look for at least 5+ sacks and 2 batted balls + 1 fumble by brady.
ADVANTAGE= CHARGERS​
SD's secondary vs. NE's receivers:

since at least one TE will have to be held in to help block SD's front 7, NE will have two receivers running routes against 4 SD defenders. jammer is a shutdown corner this year, and florence will be aided by safety coverage over the top. Donnie Edwards can easily run with any TE on a pass route.
ADVANTAGE= CHARGERS​

case closed.

don't even bring up the weak schedule argument. it's already been shot down. the two teams we lost to are a combined 22-10. the teams you lost to are 37-27. what does that tell you?

Pointing out that some of our losses were to teams with more losses does not change the fact that over all the Patriots schedule was a much tougher schedule than the Chargers. That is a fact.

We had the 8th toughest, you had the 16th toughest. We lost two additional games because we had a schedule twice as hard. Big whoop, all of that goes out the window this weekend.

In the playoffs the Pats are 1-0 and the Bolts are 0-0. Here we come.

LOL I love how Charger Trolls can't handle the COLD HARD FACTS. Any way you dice it the Pats defense HAS played more consistently and better overall than the Charger's defense. And the Pats did face a much stronger schedule. Those are just the facts ma'am. You wanted the TRUTH but you couldn't handle it! LOL please review my above post to get the detailed statistical breakdown. :singing: Charger Trolls = 0WNED! by facts! :)

Last edited:
Okay--I will not agree, but nor shall I disagree. I think that the conclusion is presumptive. For an example at our end, Eugene Wilson was our starter opposite Harrison. If he was cleared to play this weekend, I don't think he would start. Patrick Pass was our starting FB, I don't know that he would even be active this weekend if he was not on IR.

I think that health is relative. Bledsoe in 2001 is another good example of a team actually being better when it is NOT healthy.

That is all I am saying here--I think that it is flawed to presume that a healthy team is always better, especially when the team that is presented as healthy relies primarily upon practice snaps for their in-season time spent together. Sometimes it is best to go with the 'hot hand', no?

sometimes it is best to go with the "hot hand", yes, and sometimes it is better to admit when you're wrong.

merriman will be back = he would start when available
phillips will be back = he would start when available
igor will be back = he would start when available
louis will be back = he would start when available
mccree will be back = he would start when available
kiel will be back = he sucks at coverage, but excels at stopping the run
godfrey will be back = he starts when available

philip's foot is healed = moot point
ladianian's foot is healed = left the game vs. the cardinals

SD 14 wins against teams that totaled 95 wins on the season.

NE 12 wins against teams that totaled 90 wins on the season.

Two more wins against teams that combined for 5 more victories. Remember you got to play the worst team in the league...TWICE!

SD played against teams that had a combined 117-139 record.

NE played against teams that had a combined 127-129 record.

I guess if you keep throwing enough **** against the wall something will eventually stick. :confused:

Last edited:
LOL I love how Charger Trolls can't handle the COLD HARD FACTS. Any way you dice it the Pats defense HAS played more consistently and better overall than the Charger's defense. And the Pats did face a much stronger schedule. Those are just the facts ma'am. You wanted the TRUTH but you couldn't handle it! LOL please review my above post to get the detailed statistical breakdown. :singing: Charger Trolls = 0WNED! by facts! :)

how so? the charger defense has yielded less yardage per play than the patriots. scroll back through the thread to see those stats as an example of how data can be manipulated for your benefit.

you're getting dominated in this discussion by refusing to see that the stats you spit out are NOT reflective of the team you're playing on sunday.

thankfully for you billy B agrees with me. you can keep pounding that chest like a gorilla, but you're dead WRONG. why don't you start a thread named "Patriots coaching staff is unaware that chargers are at full strength!"

seems stupid huh... thought so. and THAT's why you're in my sig. Sit. Stay. Good boy.

Last edited:
sometimes it is best to go with the "hot hand", yes, and sometimes it is better to admit when you're wrong.

so you will admit to being patently incapable of having an unbiased discussion about this game?

good luck with that

I guess if you keep throwing enough **** against the wall something will eventually stick. :confused:

apparently it worked for you.. keep throwing i guess, eventually you'll find a statistic that keeps you warm and fuzzy at night. :eek:

since it seems too difficult for you to understand, why don't you look at the rosters in direct comparison.. using the players who will be playing on sunday (not the stats from their backups).

SD's front seven vs. the NE line + TE's & RB:

san diego will dominate the line of scrimmage, with jamal williams plugging the middle, igor and louis pinching the pocket, and merriman/phillips will be collapsing the sides. look for at least 5+ sacks and 2 batted balls + 1 fumble by brady.
ADVANTAGE= CHARGERS​
SD's secondary vs. NE's receivers:

since at least one TE will have to be held in to help block SD's front 7, NE will have two receivers running routes against 4 SD defenders. jammer is a shutdown corner this year, and florence will be aided by safety coverage over the top. Donnie Edwards can easily run with any TE on a pass route.
ADVANTAGE= CHARGERS​

case closed.

Dip****, I only took the points from the 4 healthy games that your defense played ALL season and compared them to the entire seasons worth of offensive scoring average of those 4 opponents. And came up with the +5.8. If you actually could comprehend anything you would have understood that when I clearly said "in the games that you guys cherry picked".

I then compared that +5.8 to the Patriots entire season stats which came out to a +1.1 in your favor and then I compared them to the Pats 8 road games and it was a +1.5 in our favor.

You can't be this stupid?:confused:

Last edited:
so you will admit to being patently incapable of having an unbiased discussion about this game?

good luck with that

unbiased? i believe all of my comments have been objective and supported with factual data (not skewed statistics). apparently it's too much for some patriot fans to handle. you guys can't take it when someone dominates you on a forum. you start reverting to name calling and getting all red in the face. maybe if you just read my posts you'd learn something constructive and you wouldn't be sitting on sunday in tears when you realize that the charger defense is a lot better than you thought it would be.

Dip****, I only took the points from the 4 healthy games that your defense played ALL season and compared them to the entire seasons worth of offensive scoring average. and came up with the +5.8. If you actually could comprehend anything you would have understood that when I clearly said "in the games that you guys cherry picked".

I then compared that +5.8 to the Patriots entire season stats which came out to a +1.1 in your favor and then I compared them to the Pats 8 road games and it was a +1.5 in our favor.

You can't be this stupid?:confused:

ZING! there's a reason you're in my sig. keep pounding that chest buddy. thump*thump*thump*thump*thump.

ZING! there's a reason you're in my sig. keep pounding that chest buddy. thump*thump*thump*thump*thump.

What? Why don't you actually just admit that you are wrong. The numbers are there for everyone to see! You lost the argument even when I used the numbers you were "thumping" out there, even when the comparison clearly favored the Chargers....THE NUMBERS DIDN't!

I guess I should follow the advice given to me long ago.

Never argue with an idiot, because he will drag you down to his level and then beat you with experience.

And you sir are an Idiot!

how so? the charger defense has yielded less yardage per play than the patriots.

Yardage is irrelevant. POINTS ALLOWED is the only defensive stat that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back