PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Decker, McDaniels & Patriots interest

Status
Not open for further replies.
They wont cut Bailey, that would be fan suicide for Elway here. I can see them restructuring him and still getting some cap space back but no way he gets cut. The guy is revered here in Denver.

He will get cut..but come back under a new deal. No teams will be in line to get him...

I believe in him. I don't just throw great player's under the bus at the first sign of adversity like the kneejerk fantasy football crowd who would cut half the team after any bad game. they need to restructure him with conditions for playing time but I believe he will agree to those terms if they are reasonable.

The truth is he was manhandled by a jag like Ducasse even before he suffered the season-ending injury. He has a lot of mileage on his body. His surgically repaired Achilles will have to support a mountain of a man.

Return to football after Achilles tendon rupture | Lower Extremity Review Magazine
Although the incidence of Achilles rupture is low, 0.93% per NFL game, nearly 36% of affected players never return to playing at the NFL level.
Furthermore, in the reviewed 21 NFL skill players who returned to play, there were significant decreases in games played per season (11.67 games per year pre-injury versus 6.17 games per year postinjury) when averaged over the three seasons before the injury and the three seasons after the injury.3 There were also decreases averaging nearly 50% in power ratings of the returning players for the three seasons after the injury compared to the three seasons before the injury. These data indicate that even in players able to return to their former level of play, the quality of play may suffer permanently.

Wilfork is up there in age, and he is massive, that weight will put a lot of stress on the repaired Achilles. I dont believe that he will be much better than Kelly when he comes back.

Dobson and Decker on the outside, Amendola, Edelman and Gronk on the inside, Vereen, Ridley in the backfield. Try to stop that.

Payback time. PayATon stole one of Brady's main weapons(Welker), now its time to return the favor. Cut Wilfork, sign Decker.

I'm all for signing Decker at the right price and if BB thinks he fits into Patriots plans for next year... But why is everyone so quick to want to cut Wilfork??... :confused:

I'm all for signing Decker at the right price and if BB thinks he fits into Patriots plans for next year... But why is everyone so quick to want to cut Wilfork??... :confused:

People see his 11 mill cap hit and say..we don't need that. He is a veteran with a lot of young guys on D..he is needed

Riley Cooper or Eric Decker, which is the best option for the pats?

People see his 11 mill cap hit and say..we don't need that. He is a veteran with a lot of young guys on D..he is needed

Or maybe people have read how NFL players perform after an Achilles. Kelly is also a vet. Mayo is a vet. Ninkovich is also a vet. Make Wilfork a coach if you want him around. Or maybe they want to keep him until he gets manhandled by jags like Ducasse. Oh wait...

Or maybe people have read how NFL players perform after an Achilles. Kelly is also a vet. Mayo is a vet. Ninkovich is also a vet. Make Wilfork a coach if you want him around. Or maybe they want to keep him until he gets manhandled by jags like Ducasse. Oh wait...

yep, Wilfork SUCKS.

Or maybe Wilfork isn't the one who sucks?

I hope he can come back, but I have no idea if he can, and neither do you.

Love Wilfork, he's a legend, but he was manhandled by a jag like Ducasse even before he suffered the season-ending injury. Who knows in what conditions he will come back. Who knows if he will be better than Kelly when he comes back. Rather have Kelly+Decker than an old declining Wilfork.

I agree with you both, the poster doesn’t realize that Vince is not a HOF player right now, currently he is a 32 year old defensive tackle returning from an Achilles tear which is also his first major injury of his career. In addition to rehabbing from that injury I would say based on the eye test Vince is about 100-125 pounds above his playing weight (eating like an NFL DT without doing the NFL DTs workout regimen = rapid weight gain). It would be negligent for the Patriots to carry his $11.5 mil cap hit knowing that he has a very long and difficult road back and even then it is not a given that he will be the same player.

I do think Vince will restructure and they will likely turn the 1 year remaining into a 3 year deal at a much lower pay rate, he seems to like New England and I do not think teams will be lining up for his serves this offseason, Kelly came here last offseason for short money (by his standards) and Seymour never signed anywhere so given that Wilfork is coming off an injury I would see his situation garnering even less interest.

The fantasy football crowd don't actually watch the patriots, they are too busy watching highlights around the league and tallying their fantasy points, so they have no idea whatsoever as to how great a player like Wilfork has been.So at the first sign of adversity they start pulling their hair out and crying for the team to release great players and bring them some shiny new objects to look at.

Reasonable people agree that the Patriots need to redo Wilfork's deal, the fantasy football freaks just cry "cut him......I need Decker to get me 6 points this weekend....."

Payback time. PayATon stole one of Brady's main weapons(Welker), now its time to return the favor. Cut Wilfork, sign Decker.
This...... And if we can't get him. Make sure as hell its expensive for the donks.

...so they have no idea whatsoever as to how great a player like Wilfork has been...

Uh-oh, someone has let the cat out of the bag.

Reasonable people agree that the Patriots need to redo Wilfork's deal, the fantasy football freaks just cry "cut him......I need Decker to get me 6 points this weekend....."

Its more like ... Reasonable people have seen Denver add a great weapon in Welker which made them the best offense of all time. Reasonable people can expect a line-up of Dobson, Decker on the outside, Amendola,Edelman, Gronk on the inside, Vereen, Ridley in the backfield, to do great damage.

Reasonable people understand that taking Decker from Denver weakens the biggest threat to the Pats.

Reasonable people have read how NFL players perform coming back from an Achilles. And its not pretty.

Reasonable people know that Decker was drafted by JoshMcDaniels, so already there is a connection.

Uh-oh, someone has let the cat out of the bag.

I don't expect Wilfork to be the player he was for the rest of his career, but 3/4 of that is still better than 90% of the DT's in this league. And repeatedly pointing to the only bad game he has played just makes you look like an a-hole, there is no player on the patriots who has been more consistent from game to game over the past decade than Wilfork. As I said before, just more kneejerk overreaction from the fantasy football crowd, a player gets hurt, time to get rid of them, they suck. it really makes me wonder if you guys actually watch football or just follow the stat lines.

Compared to some of the other receivers that will be out there and how much he might command, I don't have much interest in Decker myself.

The truth is he was manhandled by a jag like Ducasse even before he suffered the season-ending injury. He has a lot of mileage on his body. His surgically repaired Achilles will have to support a mountain of a man.
Brady was terrible vs the jets in week 2. Therefore, he should be cut. One bad game=career over.

I don’t think anyone wants Vince Wilfork to be cut outright but this team and its front office would be stupid to carry his $11.5 million cap # into 2014. There is no doubt that Wilfork has been a great player but this franchise does not owe him anything he has been compensated with over $40 million in earnings over his tenure for the services he has provided. Nobody is showing up at Gillette offering to work for free so can we please put the “how dare you do this” attitude to rest, Wilfork’s salary is based on him being able to perform at an all pro level, if he can no longer perform at an all pro level he should no longer be paid at the same level. Make no mistake about it the NFL is a performance based industry and not a tenure based or who you like industry.

Decker is a product of Manning. And his price tag? Do not want

He is going to get Wallace type $$ this offseason by my guess? The raiders

Zero chance he makes that kind of money. 7-8 at max. I don't think it's that unrealistic he could end up here if we shift some money around. Denver has Moreno as a FA as well as both Thomas' next year. They have a few key defenders becoming FA as well (Woodyard, DRC, and others). They can cut Wes and maybe Bailey to save cash. How do you even know what his price tag is?

Would you rather sign Decker or resign Edelman?

I'm not confident we can do either honestly :( but I hope we can get at least one of them.

I'd hate to loose Edelman because he was the lone consistent receiver this season but I'd love the size Decker would add outside although I'm not sure how physical he plays and that's what we seem to be missing.

If I were Decker I'd have a hard time leaving Denver though unless he's upset about something and he doesn't seem like the player that will follow the money.

Would you rather sign Decker or resign Edelman?

I'm not confident we can do either honestly :( but I hope we can get at least one of them.

I'd hate to loose Edelman because he was the lone consistent receiver this season but I'd love the size Decker would add outside although I'm not sure how physical he plays and that's what we seem to be missing.

If I were Decker I'd have a hard time leaving Denver though unless he's upset about something and he doesn't seem like the player that will follow the money.

As much as it pains me to say it because I love Edelman and I hate Decker(personality), I'd have to go Decker. Edelman is a bit injury prone. Decker could be the big play guy we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes