PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 1 Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

kas

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
1) S Patrick Chung - I pointed this out before that BB has moved away from the big in-the-box SS type to having two athletic players who can move around. All the safeties he's brought in since Rodney have been of the more athletic mold except for Tank Williams, who played as much ILB if not more. Chung does have decent size, but is still an athletic playmaking safety. Also a great STer. Given how BB loves his nickel and dime DB packages, it's key that we now have 3 starting caliber safeties as well as Shawn Springs who has some experience there. Big fan of this pick.

2) NT Ron Brace - My favorite pick so far. We got by with smoke and mirrors last year when VW had to take breathers. Wright is a good interior pass rusher but only okay as a true NT due to his lack of bulk. Brace will be used to give big Vince the breaks he needs at such a physically demanding position without limiting the formation BB wants to use. Brace IMO is the best NT type in the draft (not as athletic but better technique than Raji). This reminded me a lot to a few years ago where BB passed on the more productive Marcus Stroud for his less productive but more technically sound Richard Seymour. Not to say Brace will be the better player, but I think he fits the system better.

3) CB Darius Butler - Although we currently have great depth at corner, Bodden and Hobbs are both FA after this year. Butler fits the exact mold of corner BB loves. He's quick-twitch and aggressive with great hips, feet and ball skills. Should also be able to help on both KR and PR. With Springs, Wheatley, Wilhite, and now Butler it seems safe to say Earthwind Moreland can start looking for employment somehwere else.

4) OT Sebastian Volmer - Interesting pick. Obviously a reach, but it's clear BB really liked this guy. Has a great frame and good athleticism. Should be a nice backup year one but don't be surprised if he's the future at LT once he gets his technique refined. He definitely seems to fit the bill as an over-sized TE who grew into an OT that Scarnecchia loves.

Other thoughts:
-BB loves experienced players who have been productive against good competition. IMO, expecting who are new to their position (e.g.: Connor Barwin) or from really small schools (Jarron Gilbert from San Jose ST) just isn't realistic. Not to say it can't or will never happen, but getting your hopes up for a guy like that will leave you disappointed more often than not.

-I guess BB just really isn't the LB drafting type. Similar to safety, it seems BB has ditched the oversized SILB in favor of two more athletic WILB types. I guess this makes some sense with the way offenses have evolved and are now so pass-heavy. It it surprising, though, that BB really doesn't seem to like those pass rushing terror DE-turned-OLB's. Woods is solid but not a great pass rusher. Crable could be that 3rd down pass rusher everybody wants, and I guess Vince Redd has gained the confidence of the coaching staff - he definitely has the measurables for the position. I'm sure we'll see a LB or two added tomorrow, but they're gonna have quite a battle making the roster.

Crable must be really good, thats how i see it that they didnt take a LB in the first or second round.I like Teddy but he cant play OLB anymore.

Tedy doesn't play OLB...

I agree with all your comments.

A) We know how have a fine set secondary having added Chung and Butler. Springs is now the backup free safety and the utility DB.

B) We still could upgrade almost anywhere tomorrow.

My mistake, i am just tired of not having a young backfield.They like to add old veterans.I would love to get another young guy next to Mayo.

My mistake, i am just tired of not having a young backfield.They like to add old veterans.I would love to get another young guy next to Mayo.

Well, you can take solace in the fact that this likely means they think pretty highly of Guyton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back