PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Day 1 FA winner and loser

Status
Not open for further replies.

50-yard-line

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
It's DAY 1. No one needs to come in and say, "Geez, wait! It's only the first day! Don't PANIIIIICCCCCC!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm not...at all. I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago saying "what if the Pats do nothing?" I think they're a better team than last year simply because of the depth development due to the injuries, and with the regulars coming back.

I just want some opinions on which team hit it out of the park and which team blew it.

Please consider that we're talking about NET gains here. Adding Talib is HUGE...adding Talib and losing DRC is not huge.

My big winner yesterday was Atlanta. They added Jon Asamoah, Paul Soliai and Tyson Jackson - three solid players that should immediately help them - and resigned Babineaux. They've identified their new direction and went after it hard and with purpose.

Tampa Bay, too, made some good strides, but I don't know their direction yet.

Denver rolled the dice BIG, but their net isn't as impressive as a quick scan would lead one to believe. That might change today the way Elway is playing.

My big loser: Oakland (unreal - "hey guys, let's sign inferior players for more money!!!!!").

It's DAY 1. No one needs to come in and say, "Geez, wait! It's only the first day! Don't PANIIIIICCCCCC!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm not...at all. I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago saying "what if the Pats do nothing?" I think they're a better team than last year simply because of the depth development due to the injuries, and with the regulars coming back.

I just want some opinions on which team hit it out of the park and which team blew it.

Please consider that we're talking about NET gains here. Adding Talib is HUGE...adding Talib and losing DRC is not huge.

My big winner yesterday was Atlanta. They added Jon Asamoah, Paul Soliai and Tyson Jackson - three solid players that should immediately help them - and resigned Babineaux. They've identified their new direction and went after it hard and with purpose.

Tampa Bay, too, made some good strides, but I don't know their direction yet.

Denver rolled the dice BIG, but their net isn't as impressive as a quick scan would lead one to believe. That might change today the way Elway is playing.

My big loser: Oakland (unreal - "hey guys, let's sign inferior players for more money!!!!!").

Winners
- Broncos
- Bucs
- Falcons

Losers
- Raiders
- Browns
- Patriots

Winners
- Broncos
- Bucs
- Falcons

Losers
- Raiders
- Browns
- Patriots

Why are the Browns losers? They lost Ward but they got Dansby and Whitner.

Day 1 isn't over yet. Still have till 4pm today. A day is 24 hours long. Not 12

I understand the good intentions, but this thread is a fail. We have more than 140 more days before the final 53 man rosters are set, and 9 months before the playoffs begin. That is a LOOOONNNNGGG time for teams to add/subtract players. Are we going to have a new thread on this topic for day 2, day 3, day 4...... :rolleyes:

WOW! The flop sweat being formulated by some of the fans on this site is unmanly and embarrassing. The real time to BEGIN to evaluate the line up is when camp starts. Then again in September, and the AGAIN, in January. A lot is going to happen. Some of you act like its over after day freakin ONE! :rolleyes:

They basically traded Jackson and Ward for Dansby and Whitner but paid more for both of them than the player they gave up who was superior.

Day 1 isn't over yet. Still have till 4pm today. A day is 24 hours long. Not 12

I understand the good intentions, but this thread is a fail. We have more than 140 more days before the final 53 man rosters are set, and 9 months before the playoffs begin. Are we going to have a new thread on this topic for day 2, day 3, day 4...... :rolleyes:

In defense of 50 every major sports media outlet in the US has posted their day 1 winners and losers already, it was a decent post idea and would be a more fun conversation than some of the others going on in here right now.

Falcons aren't winners. Dropped 5/60 on two guys who are two down players. I don't understand that at all.

Cut D'Qwell? Then spend the money on Dansby? They aren't "losers" per se but that's robbing Peter to pay Paul.

I understand the good intentions, but this thread is a fail. We have more than 140 more days before the final 53 man rosters are set, and 9 months before the playoffs begin. That is a LOOOONNNNGGG time for teams to add/subtract players. Are we going to have a new thread on this topic for day 2, day 3, day 4...... :rolleyes:

WOW! The flop sweat being formulated by some of the fans on this site is unmanly and embarrassing. The real time to BEGIN to evaluate the line up is when camp starts. Then again in September, and the AGAIN, in January. A lot is going to happen. Some of you act like its over after day freakin ONE! :rolleyes:

Seems like an odd placement of this comment when there are threads that actually have that behavior in them. The original post immediately puts this disclaimer there and puts it out there as for fun. Roll your eyes but the original poster did nothing of the sort. Who is really evaluating line-ups here? If anything the poster seemed to acknowledge it to avoid that heavy analysis.

Sure, why not? If it's actually looking at directions other teams and this team are taking.

I really hope you're not aiming that at me.

In conclusion: I'm sorry if I was trying to get a feel for what some supposedly knowledgeable football fans felt about the biggest FA signings around the league.

Should I go start an Amendola thread to make you happy. Seriously, that was uncalled for.

51 Hours Into Free agency; 5 Months To Go

We are through the Tiffany period of free agency.

WE HAVE LOST NOTHING YET
Our only free agent loss was quickly upgraded by a much better player.

LOTS OF PERSONNEL DECISIONS HAVE BEEN MADE
The team cut lots of UDFA's and folks who were on IR in 2013.
Sopoaga and Gregory were cut.
Wilfork will be officially be gone soon.
Kelly has restructured.
Amendola is still here (a question for a few posters).
The patriots haven't overpaid for anyone, while other teams have done so big time.

WE ARE IN FINE CAP SHAPE
We have $18.224M. Since we don't want to restructure Mankins, there is almost no place to get additional cap space, although there are a few $1M possibilities.

NEEDS
We have 8 free agents who we need to re-sign or replace. I accept that Spikes has essentially been replaced by Collins on the roster. To me, the 8 free agents make a good start for understanding where the Belichick is looking to sign players.

WR (Edelman, Collie)
RB (Blount)
LB (Fletcher)
OL (Wendell, Svitek)
TE (Mulligan)
DE (Carter)

IN ADDITION
We still need help in the secondary. We could use a 5th corner and a starting strong safety.

Re: 51 Hours Into Free agency; 5 Months To Go

I think we have 6 holes to fill in free-agency and at the top of the draft.. I'd put them in order;
DT
SS
WR
C
Pass-rushing DE
Back-up TE - Gronk Insurance

Need Depth
2 LB
CB
Interior OL
RB

Re: 51 Hours Into Free agency; 5 Months To Go

I'm glad you titled this thread the way you did

You've provided a nice overview and the needs aren't insignificant, but there's a long way to go.

We're just a few days into the first of four foundations on which Belichick builds a team.

Free agency
Trades
The Draft
Pickups from other team cuts

Let's also keep in mind that Belichick has "his type" of player in mind in many if not most cases. Someone who appears to the football fandom to be the best option might not fit in Belichick's scheme for various reasons

When Belichick has "his" guys playing effectively in the roles he assigns, good things happen even with players who start as "no-name" guys and UFAs

All of this "chess match" aspect to football - both on the field and off during the offseason - is all part of why we love the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3