PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dawson and Crossen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crossen played well on special teams and is a stud athlete as a smaller qucker corner, he'll be Jon Jones replacement assuming they don't re-sign him.

The best outcome would be everyone makes it through camp healthy and we trade Jon Jones to the NFC for a good pick, or even for Kyle Rudolph.

People are crazy if they think Dawson will be cut. If he is gone it'll be via trade.

fine; if it makes everyone feel better, Dawson is likely to traded. The issue is our needs and roster, not compensation.

For me, carrying a player who has shown nothing and trading a player that we need (Jones) doesn't make sense.

fine; if it makes everyone feel better, Dawson is likely to traded. The issue is our needs and roster, not compensation.

For me, carrying a player who has shown nothing and trading a player that we need (Jones) doesn't make sense.
Who is trading Jones? Hes not going anywhere either.

It makes a huge amount of difference. Barring two injuries, a 6th CB is useless and should be inactive in every game.

On the other hand, we NEED special teamers in every game. We sometimes carry so many that we have one inactive, there in case we have an injury. Crossen is a competitor for a ST roster spot. The fact that he is an emergency corner is a plus, but doesn't matter all that much when one considers that we carry several special teamers who aren't expected to see the field as a position player.

The OPEN question is how many LB/STer are necessary. Last year we carried FOUR: Grigsby, King, McClellan and Humber. As a companion, Patterson (often considered a key special teamer) played on 16% pop ST reps.
========
As far as CB/STer's, Crossen (25%) and Obi (6%) reps will likely be replace Brooks. Of course, we still have Ebner ().

Whether you call it a ST spot or just a 6th CB, what’s the difference?.

Last edited:
Is either Dawson or Crossen likely to make the 53?

Aren't we fine with Gilmore, Jackson, McCourty, Williams and Jones?

and with McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Brooks (or Obi) and Ebner as our safeties?

Dawson will make the roster.
1) Belichick never cuts 2nd round picks after 1 year
2) His dead cap hit is too high
3) Jonathan Jones enters his last year here
4) Injuries likely occur
5) Jason McCourty could regress at 32

The longterm outlook will be a big factor here.

As far as Crossen, I doubt he will make the roster and be on the practice squad.

Crossen played well last year, he is a very similar player to Jon Jones, in fact we used both guys to cover Tyreek Hill last season.

You only need so many small quick cover guys. He is in a contract year, trade him now and get compensation in advance or sign Jones to an extension if you think Crossen has regressed in year 2.

This is all speculation based on best possible scenarios in camp. I love Jones as a player but if you can turn an UDFA into a good pick then do it.

Dawson will make the roster.
1) Belichick never cuts 2nd round picks after 1 year
2) His dead cap hit is too high
3) Jonathan Jones enters his last year here
4) Injuries likely occur
5) Jason McCourty could regress at 32

The longterm outlook will be a big factor here.

As far as Crossen, I doubt he will make the roster and be on the practice squad.
Exactly. Its possible Devin, Jason and JJ are not even on the 2020 roster.

Crossen played well last year, he is a very similar player to Jon Jones, in fact we used both guys to cover Tyreek Hill last season.

You only need so many small quick cover guys. He is in a contract year, trade him now and get compensation in advance or sign Jones to an extension if you think Crossen has regressed in year 2.

This is all speculation based on best possible scenarios in camp. I love Jones as a player but if you can turn an UDFA into a good pick then do it.

Crossen should not be seen as a replacement for Jones. I don't agree that he played well at all. He played sparingly on defense and when he did he gave up plays. In fact every time he got targeted he gave up a completion.

Maybe he can become a core special teamer though and make a guy like Ebner expendable and we save dollars.

Crossen should not be seen as a replacement for Jones. I don't agree that he played well at all. He played sparingly on defense and when he did he gave up plays. In fact every time he got targeted he gave up a completion.

Maybe he can become a core special teamer though and make a guy like Ebner expendable and we save dollars.
Jon Jones started his career by playing well as a gunner on special teams, Crossen played well as a gunner last year especially into the playoffs. Crossen is a similarly sized (better) athlete than Jones, he won't automatically be the defender Jones is now as a rookie, but then Jones didn't play much as a rookie either and we weren't nearly as deep then. Crossen is supremely talented, if Jones is going to be too expensive then move him. We have a lot of depth assuming everyone exits camp healthy.

Some of our young CB's will have show Positional versatility this is D-Mac's last year we need someone to groom this year to take over in a pinch or the following year.

I think Jason McCourty at his age cannot be a lock. The Pats are going to be in great shape if most of them exit camp healthy. I am sure Teams are looking at the CB Dept on the Pats Roster: "We are Deep deeper than Atlantis deeper than sea floor traveled by the mantis.":cool:

I think Jason McCourty at his age cannot be a lock. The Pats are going to be in great shape if most of them exit camp healthy. I am sure Teams are looking at the CB Dept on the Pats Roster: "We are Deep deeper than Atlantis deeper than sea floor traveled by the mantis.":cool:

McCourty DEAD CAP is massive

Hes not going anywhere in 2019. Look at his deal again.

2020 is a different subject.

$5.5 million guaranteed. He’s a lock.

To say BB love CB's is an understatement J-Mac have to be a Trade candidate if everything goes as planned.

Judging by Dawson's tape I think he can transition to free safety when Devin retires.

Aren't Dawson and Williams the same commodity at this point? Young second round DBs who nobody has seen played.

I'm tempted to chalk up Williams being drafted as a potential ding in Dawson's perceived value, but I can't see much of a pattern to who BB drafts as a second round DB (Richards, Ras-I, Butler, C. Jones, you know the list)

To say BB love CB's is an understatement J-Mac have to be a Trade candidate if everything goes as planned.
They will STILL have a $5.5m cap hit if he's traded. Why sink that cost into a player who MIGHT be traded because of competition?

JMc can play boundary and slot CB plus both safety positions as a sub.

He's here in 2019 and like it

Judging by Dawson's tape I think he can transition to free safety when Devin retires.
There was also talk he can learn Chung's role as he has good size

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye