PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darrelle Revis/Chad Johnson discuss their time in NE/Tom vs Bill

The Revis comments are more interesting than we're letting on. It was too strenuous in New England, he said? And there are many other ways to win? I'm amazed when I hear players talk this way. Lane Johnson would rather win one SB than 5; he'd rather never be heard from again, apparently. Many other ways to win? Well--it's been 20 years. What teams are winning with those many other ways?

Are we talking one win, like in Philly? Revis? Because that team has imploded. QBs gone, coaches gone. What are we talking about anyway.

Because I hear over and over from people that it is no fun in New England, I'm starting to suspect that these are players who simply don't have what it takes to win consistently. And maybe this is a reason why Belichick cuts bait with some players while he keeps others long long past their usefulness. He doesn't cut guys he really likes and trusts.

There is almost certainly an element of truth to what Revis says. This has been repeated by numerous players. So it’s not only Revis. It is probably very tough to play for Bill and the patriots organization. It’s probably unlike just about any other team.
this is probably the reason why Bill selects only certain types of players in the draft. He knows very well that it takes a certain type of personality to thrive in New England. Probably many super athletic players in the draft or who are free agency candidates or who are trade candidates would not do well under Bill‘s system. This is why Bill is dealing with a very limited pool from which to draw players. The success sort of speaks for itself.
one other issue is that perhaps Tom Brady was one of the few quarterbacks who would’ve been able to deal with bills style for such a long period of time, for this Tom should be congratulated. And I do think that it’s now pretty clear that Tom was probably the main reason for success not Bill. Bill probably did help Tom to succeed but it was Tom’s attitude which is fairly unique that allowed him to thrive in the tough Bill Belichick system

Playing for the Patriots is hard because they are focused on winning and nothing else? Belichick is hard to play for?
Bored Christopher Walken GIF

The Revis comments are more interesting than we're letting on. It was too strenuous in New England, he said? And there are many other ways to win? I'm amazed when I hear players talk this way. Lane Johnson would rather win one SB than 5; he'd rather never be heard from again, apparently. Many other ways to win? Well--it's been 20 years. What teams are winning with those many other ways?

Are we talking one win, like in Philly? Revis? Because that team has imploded. QBs gone, coaches gone. What are we talking about anyway.

Because I hear over and over from people that it is no fun in New England, I'm starting to suspect that these are players who simply don't have what it takes to win consistently. And maybe this is a reason why Belichick cuts bait with some players while he keeps others long long past their usefulness. He doesn't cut guys he really likes and trusts.
Well said and glad you picked up on it. Revis is/was about money and if he get money and just win one Super Bowl, that is enough for him.

The bigger take away is can Bill continue to run the team this way in 2021 post Brady? It will be tougher with these younger guys and diva type players who want to have a SM profile. I guess we will find out.

So nobody else noticed Chad Johnson agreeing with Revis that the engine runs through Tom? Remember when Johnson and Bill had respect for one another during his time in Cincy, only to change after he played for the Pats?

Anyone else notice how Revis described the Pats offense? “Throw the out route and throw to your RB’s”. He also said that type of offense only works with Tom.

Even more reason more of our players should be going to the Hall of Fame. If you can last a long time and win here you have big balls apparently. Slater and Jules first ballot!

We've heard from multiple players, being a New England Patriot in the Belichick organization is a meat grinder.

We've also heard from bad-asses like James Harrison it wasn't that bad at all.

I think the common thread for players who succeed here are those who know how to and enjoy the grind, want to win, accept criticism and have a tough skin.

Some players can handle it.

Some can't.

In the end football players are kinda like regular working folks.

Some want to work at the cushy 9-5s and some want to work at a tech start-up for a maniacally-focused CEO.

A friend of mine spent some times as a staff engineer working at Apple in the early 80s. His boss reported to Steve Jobs. He had some doozie stories of Jobs. BB is not Steve Jobs but the same drive to win.

If any of you have read the book, "Steve Jobs" you can understand where I am coming from with the comparison.

We've heard from multiple players, being a New England Patriot in the Belichick organization is a meat grinder.

I think the common thread for players who succeed here are those who know how to and enjoy the grind, want to win, accept criticism and have a tough skin.

Some can't.

Some want to work at the cushy 9-5s and some want to work at a tech start-up for a maniacally-focused CEO.

A friend of mine spent some times as a staff engineer working at Apple in the early 80s. His boss reported to Steve Jobs. He had some doozie stories of Jobs. BB is not Steve Jobs but the same drive to win.

If any of you have read the book, "Steve Jobs" you can understand where I am coming from with the comparison.
That is a great analogy.
The 24/7 start top mentality is probbaly spot on with regards to BB. This is probably why most UFA do not want to come to BB's system without an overpay, especially without Tom Brady at QB.

I'll take Ty Law, you can have Revis.

Some can't.

players were willing to put up with this style of coaching when he was winning, but he doesn’t win anymore and honestly when is the next time we will win? (as in win our División).

How soon he forgets

IMG_0624.JPGIMG_0625.JPGIMG_0627.JPGIMG_0626.JPG

I also remember him being, or nearly being in tears, while hugging family.

Some can't.

moss was traded mid season to minnesota and yet all he kept talking about was how great he had it when he was here :)

moss was traded mid season to minnesota and yet all he kept talking about was how great he had it when he was here :)
Yep. Randy wanted to get paid and his belief respect and appreciation was tied to the team making an acceptable contract offer. I think it took him a while to understand Bill's position on a contract had nothing to do how he felt about Randy the person the player..

Revis is an interesting cat. He does not care for coaches and does not believe coaches make that much credit. He is one lucky guy to have won a super bowl, his mentality is not that which deserve a superbowl.
Revis is the kind of player who wanted to make sure he got his money. I think we need to give Bill some credit for keeping him in line long enough for the Pats to win a ring.

A key thing that I noticed about Revis when he first started in the NYFL was how well he used a quick stiff arm to the shoulder to gain an edge on receivers. He could almost stop them in their tracks.

Of course you would say that.
No serious question. We all laughed at bills press conferences over the years. Do we still laugh now that we arent contenders anymore?

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back