PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Daniel Graham: "I'm actually happy that I'm out of there"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing about this article that really bothers me is that WillMac would not be interviewed, referring to the Patriots with a cuss word. IIRC, didn't WillMac leave on good terms? Didn't WillMac re-do his contract several times so he could stay? What happened to cause McGinest to feel that way? Is he mad at the loss earlier in the season to the Patriots?

McGinest for so long represented everything Woody, Graham, Branch and Givens were not. Guys like WillMac, Bruschi, Brown and others would take less money to stay put and win Vinces. These other guys wanted the big payday and don't seem too concerned over winning any more SBs. Vinatieri was one of the few guys who did leave and continue to win. Other than that, the norm is leave to get rich and stay to be a champion.

I always like to use Woody as my shining example. He got his big bucks, but got several years of a lousy franchise with no hope of winning a SB along with it. Since he has two rings already, does winning any more matter at all with him? I can't speak for these players since I never played the game myself, and I can't say that the chance to get rich isn't enticing. I do know that losing sucks and being affiliated (as a fan, at least) with a winning organization like the Patriots is a tremendous positive feeling.

It would be nice if these former players had some secret longing for their days in Foxborough, but in the end, they made their decisions and they have to live with it. And yes, the Patriots are a business and has to continue to operate as such.

Bob G

This is the kind of post I don't understand. I've heard this so much. Why do you care? Why would "it..be nice if these former players had some secret longing for their days in Foxborough" Nice for you? It doesn't affect you.

They're millionaires. Why do you care what they think?

I mentioned Woody in a previous post. I'm asking in general - Why does someone bother to trash him? Because you don't make that money? Does it make you feel equal? You're not. He is a millionaire. Doing very well. Your thoughts don't concern him.

There's been so much, "Ha, ha look at Woody in Detroit." I don't get it.

Woody, Graham, Adam..good luck to you. Congrats.

Also, I doubt all those guys you mentioned who are still here had big paydays coming to them outside this team. When BB/SP came in there was a ton of restructuring. Ever think BB/SP thought the players they had were overpaid? Go ahead, try to find that money elsewhere.

On a Sour Grapes note. I've noticed that sour grapes tends to come from players in all sports after they've left their first team - the only team they knew. Players that have played for multiple teams are beyond that.

On a Championship level, we've all noticed that after a championship, players become highly desired by other teams, even if their talent level may not dictate it. Teams will pay more. It's natural and has happened year and year out. If we do it this year, expect some players to get "offers they can't refuse" and don't take it personally.

Last edited:
I would be happy if I was Graham. He is the man over there. He loves his teammates, and they love him.

And it's obvious how much this team misses Daniel Graham.

can you guys really blame him

I mean he got more money and he is now in his home state

"Not at all," he said. "For the most part, everybody sees all the winning and the glamorous part. It's a lot different when you're there and see how it's operated up there. Everything is not glamorous. It's a business up there and they let that be understood. It's a business."

Still, he wouldn't trade being in Denver with a 6-7 record for a chance to go undefeated in New England.

"I'm actually happy that I'm out of there," Graham said.​

Doesn't sound like a guy that cares enough about winning, just collecting a paycheck. There's nothing wrong with going through the motions and getting paid well for it (many of us do the same thing), but if you aren't willing to WIN you aren't going to stay long with the patriots.

"Not at all," he said. "For the most part, everybody sees all the winning and the glamorous part. It's a lot different when you're there and see how it's operated up there. Everything is not glamorous. It's a business up there and they let that be understood. It's a business."

Still, he wouldn't trade being in Denver with a 6-7 record for a chance to go undefeated in New England.

"I'm actually happy that I'm out of there," Graham said.​

Doesn't sound like a guy that cares enough about winning, just collecting a paycheck. There's nothing wrong with going through the motions and getting paid well for it (many of us do the same thing), but if you aren't willing to WIN you aren't going to stay long with the patriots.

It's nice that Graham is happy in his new environment but totally irrevelent..... You have to wonder if the Broncos feel they are getting their money's worth out of him? The Seahawks must regret the Branch deal also. Except for a couple of pretty good seasons from Ty Law I can't think of a single Ex-Pat that lived up to the Pats-mojo-premium they commanded in free agency.

Even the kicker who shall not be named arguably consumes too much salary cap for the Colts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents