PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: NFL has a Giant Sense of Entitlement

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomicDawg

Patriot of the Week
Reaction score
Another 500 foot grand slam from Curran. I've read it twice and nodded my head profusely. My two favorite paragraphs follow.

Curran: A Giant sense of entitlement within the NFL
If you’re mobbed up with the league office positioned at 345 Park Avenue, New York, New York, you never have to worry about selective rules enforcement, whisper campaigns against your organization, or dime-dropping because people there don’t like you.

No tears outside New England were shed for the combined punishment for Spygate and Deflategate -- two first-round picks confiscated, the $1.75 million in fines and the four-game suspension of Tom Brady. Made sense, most agreed, because the league so successfully sold its position to the public via media friendlies who’d been co-opted by the league hierarchy decades ago.

The connection made to Ray Farmer is an interesting one. Farmer sent a text during a game to the sidelines and was suspended four games. One could draw a pretty similar parallel of "illegal communication" to the walkie use by McAdoo and Manning. Why should they receive any less than 4 game suspensions, too?

Makes it sound like the NFL* is a government, and those with the right connections get favorable treatment.

LOL, you're right. But, don't kid yourself, there are loads of private companies that operate exactly that way, as well.

Absolutely. Almost any entity run top-down and centralized will wind up that way. I've worked for one of those companies (a broadcasting company you all know) and it's not fun. Unless you schmooze the right people. (suppressing gag reflex)

It's the decentralized companies (and governments), where corporate management delegates authority and stays hands off the day to day operations, that generally focus on actual results, NOT cronyism. To their benefit.

Compare Jerry Jones over the last 20 years to Bob Kraft, and you'll see what I mean. JMHO. :)

Last edited:
My favourite part is the last paragraph and final sentence:

The Giants tampered with the Steelers footballs and the league never mentioned it. The next week, they used walkie-talkies to illegally communicate. Talk about habitual. If the league were consistent, what would the penalty for this crap be?

Probably a two-game suspension for Bill Belichick.

Last edited:
Another 500 foot grand slam from Curran. I've read it twice and nodded my head profusely. My two favorite paragraphs follow.

Curran: A Giant sense of entitlement within the NFL
The continued re-hashing and re-litigating of this stuff, even amongst our own, robs me of my enjoyment. When I read the Florio articles, and go to the comments, there is just as much "cheaters" bull **** as ever. Then some obvious Bostonian commenter will make a clever come back comment, but then they just comment back to him about the "caught cheating" crap. I just don't even want to pay attention to any of it any more.

I recall reading somewhere that the use of the walkie-talkies could have enabled the Giants to tune into the Cowboys' plays. I'm sure it's mere coincidence that the Giants were able to rise up and hold the previously unstoppable Boys' O to single digits. But that wouldn't be a big deal, so no need to even investigate, really. After all, integrity.

The continued re-hashing and re-litigating of this stuff, even amongst our own, robs me of my enjoyment. When I read the Florio articles, and go to the comments, there is just as much "cheaters" bull **** as ever. Then some obvious Bostonian commenter will make a clever come back comment, but then they just comment back to him about the "caught cheating" crap. I just don't even want to pay attention to any of it any more.
Then don't. Just stop whining. By the way, the prevailing sentiment at Florio's place is overwhelmingly in favor of the Pats.

Last edited:
There is a way to not have to continue rehashing.

It's great stuff, but it's all within the echo chamber here. Although the national voices don't seem to make an impact either I guess.

Problem is, you're saying that assuming that Boston media members would naturally take the side of the Patriots. Your underestimation of Borges, CHB, Ryan, Felger, etc. will be your undoing.... :)

Say, Hammer of Thor, are you in any way related to Grabthar's Hammer?

Problem is, you're saying that assuming that Boston media members would naturally take the side of the Patriots. Your underestimation of Borges, CHB, Ryan, Felger, etc. will be your undoing.... :)
I've noticed in other forums the same assumption and they use that as "proof" of the Patriots' guilt.

For example, someone will quote that moron Borges or Shank Shaunessey and then say something like "See..?!? Even the Boston writers think the Patriots are guilty so that means they really are guilty."

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft