PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Crazy throwback stat:Curtis Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
So I’ve been looking back at the 96 team since that is the team that ultimately made me love football.

Here’s a crazy thing I noticed from the game against INDY that year.

The Pats opened with two really long drives, one for 10 plays and one for 11 plays.

So that’s 21 plays of which 18 of them were rushes by Curtis Martin!

Nowadays I raise an eyebrow when a runner rushes it three plays in a row. Martin received 18 in the first 21 plays. 9 of the first 10 plays were handoffs to Martin.

what a workhorse!

In the Sam Cunningham days, the Pats would occasionally run the same play on an entire drive ( Cunningham behind Hannah and Gray) daring the opponents to stop them...

I don't blame the man for signing with the Jesters as much as some here do...I blame Booby Greer for wasting all those compensatory picks he received for Parcells & Martin...

And I love watching teams run the same basic play if the previous one was successful ... sometimes OCs out-smart themselves by fixing something that isn't broken...

In the Sam Cunningham days, the Pats would occasionally run the same play on an entire drive ( Cunningham behind Hannah and Gray) daring the opponents to stop them...

One of my very few Pats-related regrets is that I missed out on everything before Dec '85, particularly that edition of the team. That must have been a sight to behold!

One of my very few Pats-related regrets is that I missed out on everything before Dec '85, particularly that edition of the team. That must have been a sight to behold!
It was until the Super Bowl when they ran into a buzz saw or a Bears team that NOBODY was beating or even scoring on........... The very next day the Challenger blew up and people put things in perspective... it was just a game..

Martin was one of the coolest looking RB's in the NFL with those elbow pads and his running style. My favorite RB of all time.

It was painful losing him to the Jets, but think about it had he stayed. The Pats would've been good enough to make the playoffs and Carroll does enough to stay with the team. Meanwhile, maybe Parcells coaches for a few more years and BB stays with the Jets as a DC or becomes a HC somewhere else. Brady gets drafted by another team. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Unfortunately, Martin leaving had to happen.

He's dead to me

Martin was one of the coolest looking RB's in the NFL with those elbow pads and his running style. My favorite RB of all time.

It was painful losing him to the Jets, but think about it had he stayed. The Pats would've been good enough to make the playoffs and Carroll does enough to stay with the team. Meanwhile, maybe Parcells coaches for a few more years and BB stays with the Jets as a DC or becomes a HC somewhere else. Brady gets drafted by another team. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Unfortunately, Martin leaving had to happen.

yes, without a doubt letting him go was a necessity. That enabled them to sign multiple other players.

one of my favorite Martin stories is that a 3rd Fraser invited him to a birthday party and he went

It was until the Super Bowl when they ran into a buzz saw or a Bears team that NOBODY was beating or even scoring on........... The very next day the Challenger blew up and people put things in perspective... it was just a game..

Interesting how memory works, I had completely forgotten those events happened within the same time frame.

Among other things, my time as a Patriots fan has been a series of lessons in perspective.

Another lesson...

Reactions: Ian
Another crazy stat, NKeal Harry had 12 catches last year:D:D:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The glory era of the running backs similar to the glory years of Heavyweight Fighters ala Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Joe Frazier, Ken Norton.

Sam Cunningham
Walter Payton
Earl Campbell
Tony Dorsett
John Riggins
Franco Harris

Wilbert Montgomery
Otiis Anderson

Roberts Edwards had it all and looked to be a good one.

How do you almost tear your leg off playing volleyball? Only the Pats could that have happened to.

The Packers lived off of the power sweep for most of the 60's.

Roberts Edwards had it all and looked to be a good one.

How do you almost tear your leg off playing volleyball? Only the Pats could that have happened to.
another one of those where an injury ended his career. "what could have been". Kind of like Tony C.

This thread is TRIGGERING me about a certain Steven Jackson game in 2015 that was the most frustratingly stupid decision Belichick has ever made.

another one of those where an injury ended his career. "what could have been". Kind of like Tony C.

You read my mind. He was never the same.

Teddy Green
Reggie Miller
Len Bias
Daryl Stingley

Loved watching the guy, wasn't the flashiest but incredibly consistent. 6th leading rusher of all time. Man that 95 draft....

2 days later was the Challenger explosion...

and the bears were so dominant even Grogan's mom knew they were in for it in that game...

still didn't stop me from thinking (despite not being able to move the ball a single yard in the first series after the fumblerooski) "Hey we scored first! We got a shot at this! The team that scores first usually wins!"

then tony eason happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey