PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could the 2017 offense rivaled 2007?

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsinthesnow

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Not a lot happening patriots wise on the board. A pointless hypothetical it is!

2017 offensive stats:

394.2 yards per game (1st)
28.6 points per game (2nd)
6.0 yards per play (3rd)

465 yards per game & 30.7 PPG in the playoffs

The pats had the best offense in the NFL with a top 10-15 WR out for the season. The value of Edelman was obvious as he was the only skill position player that could command double teams in 2019.

Cooks
Edelman
Amendola
Gronk
Lewis/White

Two players that require double teams in Edelman & Gronk, a slot WR that can win 1 v 1 consistently in Amendola, a deep threat WR that requires safety help in Cooks & two dynamic RBs. Hogan & Burkhead would be depth.

With that 2017 crew, not only did they have talent, but talk about a perfect compliment of players.

Cooks excelled as your deep threat

Gronk excelled at seem routes and mid range routes in general

Edelman excelled at the short, first down routes

Lewis/White were great screen/dump down options

Obviously each player did a lot more than 'just what they excelled' at but talk about a well constructed skill set of players.

Add to it the perfect insurance option of Amendola - cheap and clutch

Absolutely if Edelman was healthy. They wouldn’t have ended up having better numbers, but they probably would have been the second best offense in Patriots history.

Those odd numbered seasons, damnit! I feel a similar way about 2015, that offense was scary when all on the field at once.

With that 2017 crew, not only did they have talent, but talk about a perfect compliment of players.

Cooks excelled as your deep threat

Gronk excelled at seem routes and mid range routes in general

Edelman excelled at the short, first down routes

Lewis/White were great screen/dump down options

Obviously each player did a lot more than 'just what they excelled' at but talk about a well constructed skill set of players.

Add to it the perfect insurance option of Amendola - cheap and clutch
Edelman had 0 yards, 0 receptions in 2017.

If Edelman played than yes

I think, at full health, the 2017 offense was better. The 2007 offense was a supernova that burned hot for about 10 games then faded quickly. The 2017 version felt more like the culmination of 8 years of roster building.

Those odd numbered seasons, damnit! I feel a similar way about 2015, that offense was scary when all on the field at once.

But the even numbered seasons...

But the even numbered seasons...

But is zero an even number? I believe there is a best selling book that delves into what Zero actually is.

Cooks was no Randy Moss.

But is zero an even number? I believe there is a best selling book that delves into what Zero actually is.
Zero is hero of the number tree!

Oops, wrong book?

Regards,
Chris

You could argue 2017 was more balanced. 2007 had a historic Randy Moss and the breakout of Wes Welker. Stallworth was another deep threat, but I expected a little more from him. Gaffney was nice complementary player. Ben Watson was a major disappointment as he should've racked up so many cheap yards with all the WR's getting attention. Ditto with Maroney as he should've ran wild with teams backing off and focusing on the pass. Sammy Morris was a major loss and would've picked up the slack for Maroney.

Oh, and the 2017 offense actually showed up in the Super Bowl.

For the Patriots, going 5-11 in 2000 and one and done at home to the Jets in 2010, zero is the oddest number of all.

Edelman had 0 yards, 0 receptions in 2017.

DOH.......that makes me sad. It makes me wonder 'what could have been' if we ever had Gronk, Cooks, and Edelman on the field at the same time

That’s my theory on why they held onto Garoppolo so long. That was a Super Bowl quality roster even without Brady.

Then the Hightower and Edelman injuries and Butler and Branch regression ruined that.

Moss in 2007 was the ultimate beast mode, but I’m guessing prime Gronkowski is more valuable to an offense than any player in NFL history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back