PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Could Julius Peppers Be Back on the Radar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peppers is a NO GO.

In his interview last year he didn't want to sign a long term deal with Carolina because although they made him the highest paid defensive player in the league, it was "only slightly". This was after his 2008 2 1/2 sack year. Can you believe the arrogance of that? "ONLY SLIGHTLY"?

I think you're dreaming if you think he plays for short money to prove himself. He's also possibly not that good in our system. Don't forget AD was supposed to be "all that". How'd that work out?

BB screwed up by not developing talent. He's turned up his nose at college LBs, refused to develop any. Well now we have SF washout and useless Burgess (who's a FA, nice rental for a 3rd and 5th).

We do have Crable and I still believe he could be very useful in pass rush situations at least.

Have to have some schemes which make the most of our talent and draftable talent instead of hoping against hope for some magic guy to be able to take over Willie McGinnest's role.

First he has to make the team, then he has to at least be active on game days, then we could start talking about his play. The guy has a loooong way to go and cant be relied on pretty much at all this upcoming season.

BB screwed up by not developing talent. He's turned up his nose at college LBs, refused to develop any.

I think this is one of the things that prior to Mayo always kind of bothered me. I understand the need to have smart experienced guys back there - but let's face it, those groups were pretty special. I don't think we'll ever see the likes of a McGinest, Bruschi, Vrabel, Phifer, Colvin (pre-injury), etc. together again for a long time like we did over the last decade. I think we were very fortunate. Guys like Bruschi and Vrabel were able to cover for the Chad Brown's and the Monty Beisel's, and unfortunately since no younger players were really around to be "groomed" prior to Mayo, obviously that's a deficiency that they'll have to overcome.

Now I understand the problem with the amount of risk involved with taking a guy high and paying him a lot of money in hopes he could become one of those types of players, so if that was a concern it obviously makes sense - you can't pay a young guy a ton of money who won't be out there every play and potentially cost yourself another player with that salary. They tried to do it via free agency, and Thomas was obviously signed to hopefully fill one of those roles. It just didn't pan out. So that's certainly something they'll need to look at. I think they're going to have to take a good long look at who they might be able to get whether it's through free agency or through a trade to try and find the next veteran who can give them the type of leadership those other guys did. And going forward I'd love to see them at least consider linebacker on draft day - instead of yet another tight end :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Peppers is a NO GO.

In his interview last year he didn't want to sign a long term deal with Carolina because although they made him the highest paid defensive player in the league, it was "only slightly". This was after his 2008 2 1/2 sack year. Can you believe the arrogance of that? "ONLY SLIGHTLY"?

I think you're dreaming if you think he plays for short money to prove himself. He's also possibly not that good in our system. Don't forget AD was supposed to be "all that". How'd that work out?

BB screwed up by not developing talent. He's turned up his nose at college LBs, refused to develop any. Well now we have SF washout and useless Burgess (who's a FA, nice rental for a 3rd and 5th).

We do have Crable and I still believe he could be very useful in pass rush situations at least.

Have to have some schemes which make the most of our talent and draftable talent instead of hoping against hope for some magic guy to be able to take over Willie McGinnest's role.

First, read the article. Peppers is willing to come down from his demands.

Second, Peppers can want to get Brady/Manning money. Doesn't mean he is going to get anywhere near what he wants. If he doesn't get offered top DE money from anyone, do you really think he will sit out the entire season on principle. If the Pats offer him signifcantly less than that and that is the best offer he gets, do you really think he will turn it down? Doubtful. Peppers is not going to get anywhere near what you think he will.

Third, what does Adalius Thomas have to do with Peppers? You do realize that before Belichick came to New England that McGinest and Bruschi were DEs for NE? They turned into pretty good LBs in the Pats system.

Fourth, the Pats have had some success in acquiring LB talent that wasn't homegrown. Vrabel was developed in Pittsburgh. Phifer played in several places. Seau was in San Deigo and then Miami. Even Bruschi, McGinest, and Johnson were developed by other coaches and then Belichick inherited seasoned veterans (all three played under Belichick for one year in 1996 although Al Groh was the DC that year and Belichick was the secondary coach and assistant head coach).

Adalius Thomas is getting something like $6 million a year. Why would Belichick not pay Peppers $7 million a year if he thinks he is a difference maker on defense. That type of money is not outrageous for an OLB in the 3-4.

thomas is on the books for 9.4M this year and 10.4 next year......would go a long way to getting peppers here

I believe that they can as long as they give up a player of equal salary.

Nope.

Section 7. Trade Limitation: No Club subject to the provisions of this Article may, for one League Year, trade for a player it otherwise would not be permitted to sign as an Unrestricted Free Agent as a result of the provisions in this Article.

If you couldn't sign them without the trade, you can't get them by trading, because the Final Eight Plan does not let teams sign UFAs to replace players they've traded away (presumably for draft picks).

Last edited:
Peppers by a landslide. Merriman may be younger but just not sure about that brain of his. The knee could be a concern as well. With big-time $$$ on the line, I'd rather go with the safer pick.

It's tough for me, I'd take either guy. I think there are concerns about both guys. Can Peppers effectively transition to 3-4 OLB after playing his whole career as a 4-3 DE? Will Merriman regain his explosiveness as a pass rusher?

I've gone back and forth numerous times. Last year I wanted Peppers, now I'm starting to think maybe Merriman. Peppers is probably much more likely IMO b/c we wouldn't have to give up a draft pick and I believe Holley supposedly said the Pats aren't Merriman people.

With all the money Bob "Patriots Place is a Bust" Kraft is saving by having NO coordinators, maybe he'll look past the "value" crutch they like to lean on and sign a difference maker.
3.....2......1.....Unleash the hounds

Why do supposedly intelligent posters insist on spewing crap about Bob Kraft having a hand in Belichick's decision of not officially naming an offensive and defensive coordinator?

As for the "value" crutch, get a clue. Kraft isn't involved in the day to day football business. That is Belichick and Caserio with Floyd Reese's input...

BTW, Welke rand Moss both say "HI" and want to know if they are chopped liver...

Last edited:
Julius Peppers will not be a NEP.....case closed. When Pats are not willing to extend Willfork quickly, you think BK is willing to part with 20M from his 70M/yr profit making maching called NEP to sign a Peppers ?

Yea, and that's before they've even negotiated with Tom Brady and his 20M contract extension.

LOL. This is not the NE Redskins.

First of all, they've had to wait to sign Wilfork until the SB is done because they haven't had the money available due to a pesky little thing called the salary cap.

Now that the 2009 season is officially over, the Pats can look to signing Wilfork, Mankins and whomever else they choose to bring back.

Also, one of the things that people have over-looked is that Wilfork has admitted that he and the Pats have exchanged numbers.. The Pats now have to evaluate what they are willing to pay Wilfork and Wilfork will have to either compromise or go to free agency. But it's already clear that he's got a warped understanding of what the FRANCHISE tag means.

If Wilfork wants to negotiate in good faith, then I am sure the Pats will accommodate him.

As for Peppers, he's not going to be getting 20 million from ANYONE as an annual salary. In fact, if he wants to play, I'm fairly certain he'll be taking a pay cut next season to the 10 million range or so.

OH, btw, you're math is off. Kraft's 70 million in profit INCLUDED all the signing bonus money they paid out this year to players. And considering that their current salary cap figure is somewhere around 84 million with a projected cap of 132 million, the Pats have some money to spend to get up to the 132 million level..

if it's true that brady, is about to get 15 to 18 million. then no not even at 7 million a year peppers, is not comeing here.

Why do you say that? Do you have any FACTUAL basis for this or are you just spewing?

See, what you don't seem to understand is that, even giving Brady a 15 to 18 million extension that takes the place of his current contract, it's all salary.. And its only a jump of 9 to 12 million if you include his current salary and what he's scheduled to make for his roster bonus. If that 15 to 18 million is CAP number, then it's only a 5 to 8 million increase..

OH, and it still leaves the Pats with nearly 30 million in salary cap space.. The money is there for the Pats to use..

Sign the bloke.

Last edited:
OH, and it still leaves the Pats with nearly 30 million in salary cap space.. The money is there for the Pats to use..

What is still unclear, however, is how RK will decide how to proceed with the uncapped year and the looming 2011 lockout. Many sports management experts, including the Wall Street Journal, have written article after article suggesting that with no cap, ceiling or floor, most smaller market teams will cut payroll drastically in 2010 to take advantage of this. Some estimates point to the $55-$60 million range and the owners would simply pocket the difference.

If this happens it could result in a flood of highly paid players being released. This would lower the demand for and the salaries of many of those players who are released.

If you were RK, and knew this was on the horizon, how would you direct your management team to proceed, both with your own FA's and with all those expected to be released? Would you rush your FA offers or would you take a wait and see approach? I certainly wouldn't be in any rush to sign any player until I saw evidence of the market's direction, would you? There could be tremendous opportunities realized by waiting a bit, if preparations are made in advance to act quickly when the time is right.

Something to consider.

What is still unclear, however, is how RK will decide how to proceed with the uncapped year and the looming 2011 lockout. Many sports management experts, including the Wall Street Journal, have written article after article suggesting that with no cap, ceiling or floor, most smaller market teams will cut payroll drastically in 2010 to take advantage of this. Some estimates point to the $55-$60 million range and the owners would simply pocket the difference.

If this happens it could result in a flood of highly paid players being released. This would lower the demand for and the salaries of many of those players who are released.

If you were RK, and knew this was on the horizon, how would you direct your management team to proceed, both with your own FA's and with all those expected to be released? Would you rush your FA offers or would you take a wait and see approach? I certainly wouldn't be in any rush to sign any player until I saw evidence of the market's direction, would you? There could be tremendous opportunities realized by waiting a bit, if preparations are made in advance to act quickly when the time is right.

Something to consider.

I'd be doing the same thing as RK. He is managing his risk. I guarantee that the team has crafted 3 financial models and will implement which on is most appropriate.

1. 2010 Cap
2. 2010 No Cap
3. 2011 Lockout

They'll still get a slice of the TV contract but any revenue expectations from concessions, gate receipts, sponsorships, parking, everything will either just go away or be substantially cut into.

They will be in cash conservation mode so to meet the mortgage payments on the stadium, land, buildings in Patriot Place (I assume it's all under a separate P&L but who knows what they'll do), utilities, payroll, etc.

From a financial-standpoint, this has the potential to get very ugly.

Why do you say that? Do you have any FACTUAL basis for this or are you just spewing?

See, what you don't seem to understand is that, even giving Brady a 15 to 18 million extension that takes the place of his current contract, it's all salary.. And its only a jump of 9 to 12 million if you include his current salary and what he's scheduled to make for his roster bonus. If that 15 to 18 million is CAP number, then it's only a 5 to 8 million increase..

I'm with you - the Pats have some serious $$ to spend this offseason, and they have to do it. If Kraft's priority is truly putting a winning team on the field - and I think it is - then he will do it, even with the risk associated involved with next season's potential lockout.

We have to take the negative of getting knocked out in the first round and turn it into a positive - by using it as a way of getting ahead of those top 8 teams.

We have the $$ to sign Peppers if we really want to, I believe that. I'm sure Miguel can correct me if I'm wrong, but we have ample space.

I'm with you - the Pats have some serious $$ to spend this offseason, and they have to do it. If Kraft's priority is truly putting a winning team on the field - and I think it is - then he will do it, even with the risk associated involved with next season's potential lockout.

I don't think so. I just don't see the Pats doling out big-time dollars to players who may not even see the field in 2011. They may sign players to big contracts, but only with safeguards that protect the team from a cash-standpoint.

We have to take the negative of getting knocked out in the first round and turn it into a positive - by using it as a way of getting ahead of those top 8 teams.

We have the $$ to sign Peppers if we really want to, I believe that. I'm sure Miguel can correct me if I'm wrong, but we have ample space.

They may have the cash now. The question is will they have the money to pay the players in 2011- especially if the configure the guranteed dollars in annual installments.

In a normal cap-year, I agree 100% This team needs a pass rush desperately. Spend! Spend! Spend!

I'm for signing him only if we go to the 4-3 as our base defense, you'll be paying for a guy who has no experience as a 3-4 olb and paying him like he's one of the best.

If you look at Mayo, Guyten and Mckenzie, they are all more suited to the 4-3 anyway imo

Something to consider.

What do people not understand about Bob Kraft not having a hand in the day to day running of the team? Including the signing of players?

As for being "in a rush to sign players," you sign the ones you need at the price you can get them for. You don't sit on your arse waiting for someone else to flinch because you'll be a day late and a dollar short..

What do people not understand about Bob Kraft not having a hand in the day to day running of the team? Including the signing of players?

As for being "in a rush to sign players," you sign the ones you need at the price you can get them for. You don't sit on your arse waiting for someone else to flinch because you'll be a day late and a dollar short..

but he does ultimately sign the checks

and not sure if you've been to patriot place lately, but more than half of the storefronts are boarded up, and the place has to be bleeding a ton of money right now

No question that BB has 99.9% autonomy on the team. However, I can guarantee that the Krafts have given BB some guidance on how to operate as it relates to the CBA and it's impact on the teams financial future. Perhaps he may have implemented policies such as "no signing bonuses greater than $20m". From the sounds of it, it seems that the lines of communication b/t/w BB and the Krafts are pretty open and the working relationship is a solid one.

Last edited:
Peppers is a NO GO.

crable? LMFAO

you made some sense until you reached that point.........

as for developing players, that's what the position coaches work with the coordinators to do.....it is no wonder that the last player who developed was wilfork and asante samuel.......every other player since then plays at close to the same level they did when they first showed up

crable? LMFAO

you made some sense until you reached that point.........

as for developing players, that's what the position coaches work with the coordinators to do.....it is no wonder that the last player who developed was wilfork and asante samuel.......every other player since then plays at close to the same level they did when they first showed up

do we even have WR, TE, RB coach ?? Probably don't need them since we sure can't develop any

As for Crable......why he continues to be in discussion is beyond me. Him and his toothpick legs can never stay healthy - - "he gone"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing