PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Corry on Gronk new deal that could make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade Gronk for a 1st round pick. I would not give him more money. As soon as you do, he will be injured.

NE has won super bowls with TEs named Jermaine Wiggins, Christian Fauria and a LB named Vrabel.

Drama free TEs who would be happy with a ring.

Antonio Gates is available at 38 yo, but can still give you 300 - 500 yards and 4 - 5 TDs. Antonio Gates - Los Angeles Chargers - 2018 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Mercedes Lewis 33 yo. Not a problem child Marcedes Lewis - Unsigned Free Agent - 2018 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Bring Julius Thomas in for a look. Anthony Fasano, Heath Miller. 2018 NFL Free Agent Tracker - Rotoworld.com
Mike Vrabel doesn't count, he was a gadget/trick play guy. And you forgot Daniel Graham who was their best TE at that time and won with arguably their strongest overall teams in 2003-2004. The others you mentioned were also on teams that were a lot stronger overall. The strongest team Gronk has been on was the 2014 team (Won Super Bowl) and 2015 team before everyone was dropping like flies.

I think it's weak when people say "they've won without (insert name)" before considering what team they currently play on compared to the team that won.

The offense runs through Gronk, without him, it's way easier to defend their WR's.

Trading Gronk for a draft pick you don't know how it will turn out and would be the nail in the coffin for Brady's window for another Super Bowl ring. They currently have a weak defense, unproven running game, decent WR's and now no TE. In my opinion, Gronk is only traded if Brady allows it. I think he has that power at this point of his career.

Last edited:
I think another "soft holdout" situation is what the option bonus structure that begins in 2020 is designed to prevent.
It prevents him from actually retiring without significant financial loss, but he's still free to threaten retirement and raise hell about how underpaid he'll be at the end of the contract. Ignoring Corry's deferred payments on a bonus that is entirely earned in 2020 regardless of when the actual checks are cut, he has Gronk earning $13 million of new money in 2021 and 2022 combined. That's just asking for six months of Gronk's vague tweets all over ESPN, which gets us right back to where things are right now.

Brady and Gronk deserve peace of mind.

The problem is, their play has not fallen off. They are still enormous factors on the field. These are game changers. Most teams don't have one of these guys, never mind to. And yet, Brady will be 41 and Gronk is injured a lot. They deserve peace of mind but especially in Gronk's case, there's a significant risk factor.

If it were me, I'd give Gronk what he's worth. In a world where the Patriots pay Gilmore $14m, Gronk gets that deserved bump.

Mike Vrabel doesn't count, he was a gadget/trick play guy. And you forgot Daniel Graham who was their best TE at that time and won with arguably their strongest overall teams in 2003-2004. The others you mentioned were also on teams that were a lot stronger overall. The strongest team Gronk has been on was the 2014 team (Won Super Bowl) and 2015 team before everyone was dropping like flies.

I think it's weak when people say "they've won without (insert name)" before considering what team they currently play on compared to the team that won.

The offense runs through Gronk, without him, it's way easier to defend their WR's.

Trading Gronk for a draft pick you don't know how it will turn out and would be the nail in the coffin for Brady's window for another Super Bowl ring. They currently have a weak defense, unproven running game, decent WR's and now no TE. In my opinion, Gronk is only traded if Brady allows it. I think he has that power at this point of his career.

You make my point with the Graham comment. The Pats don't need a multi million dollar TE to win championships.

Vrabel counts because the NE offense always finds a way to adapt. Vrabel played TE and was effective. Case closed. His TD catches counted as 6 just like Gronks.

The Pats don't need Gronk to win. They need Brady and BB. Brady made Gronk not the other way around. There were times when Gronk was not effective last season and NE still found a way to win.

The whole NE offense does not fall apart without Gronk. BB knows better than to have his whole plan relying on a oft injured player to stay healthy. He spreads the risk out.

Good point, I didn't even realize that. Players know when they have leverage and this is one of those times where they (Gronk) have leverage. I just looked up his contract and he has two years remaining which is an appropriate time to renegotiate for a new deal. It gives the player and team plenty of time to work something out.

Ditto with Brady, rumor has it he wants a new contract before the season starts.

The Chiefs are idiots and giving Watkins that money does not make it right. The Patriots have never run the franchise like that while BB has been in control of the cap.

The final year of the deal is when the Pats start looking for negoations on new money. They don't begin contract negotiations 2 years in advance unless your last name is Brady.

No to Gronk and let him shoot his way out of town. The Pats have sustained success through a cap structure where everyone makes money just not the top money in the league. Revis did not get what he wanted.

If the Pats give in to Gronk who is next to grumble about missing camp until he gets a new deal?

Gronk has a load of NE endorsements and is firmly entrenched in the community, if he were to jump ship he would have to start all over again.. and some teams may not want to put up with the shenanigans he is currently engaged in.. Gronk negotiating through Instagram and social media, come on man!!!

It seems to me that those per-game bonuses are to protect the Pats against Gronk getting injured for an extended period during the season, so those would probably need to stay in place as they are. But the Pats could still include some sort of performance incentive based automatic pay raise structure as a separate clause.

Why should Gronk accept something like that when the Patriots are riding his ass about his training/rehab situation and making it more difficult for him to get the treatment he wants?

If Gronkowski wins the Kentucky Derby will he forget about a new deal with the Pats?

You make my point with the Graham comment. The Pats don't need a multi million dollar TE to win championships.

Vrabel counts because the NE offense always finds a way to adapt. Vrabel played TE and was effective. Case closed. His TD catches counted as 6 just like Gronks.

The Pats don't need Gronk to win. They need Brady and BB. Brady made Gronk not the other way around. There were times when Gronk was not effective last season and NE still found a way to win.

The whole NE offense does not fall apart without Gronk. BB knows better than to have his whole plan relying on a oft injured player to stay healthy. He spreads the risk out.
I think you're missing my point entirely. The TE's you mentioned played on the Pats best overall teams which were the 2003 and 2004 teams. It's unfair to say they don't need Gronk because they "won without him". Their 2003 team had a defense which led the league with 29 Int's and they were not only extremely difficult to pass on but were the best scoring defense in the NFL at 14.9 points per game. The closest Gronk had a supporting cast like that was the 2014 defense but they weren't even close to as good as the '03 team as they were pitching shut outs.

Gronk commands a lot of attention and that's why he may look to be "ineffective". His presence alone opens things up for the WR's.

The Chiefs are idiots and giving Watkins that money does not make it right. The Patriots have never run the franchise like that while BB has been in control of the cap.

The final year of the deal is when the Pats start looking for negoations on new money. They don't begin contract negotiations 2 years in advance unless your last name is Brady.

No to Gronk and let him shoot his way out of town. The Pats have sustained success through a cap structure where everyone makes money just not the top money in the league. Revis did not get what he wanted.

If the Pats give in to Gronk who is next to grumble about missing camp until he gets a new deal?
I agree that a team should not pay someone just because another team was dumb enough to pay more money to a mediocre player. Gronk see's that and will get paid what he's worth one way or another. The Pats have been extremely lucky that Brady through the years hasn't reworked his contract after mediocre after mediocre player gets paid way more than him.

Revis was coming off of mediocre years in Tampa. Gronk is the greatest TE of all time. There's a bit of a difference there.

Ditto with Brady, rumor has it he wants a new contract before the season starts.
Which is interesting given he still has two years left on his current deal, he’ll be 42 when that’s over, and he has suggested shaky commitment to the game

I think you're missing my point entirely. The TE's you mentioned played on the Pats best overall teams which were the 2003 and 2004 teams. It's unfair to say they don't need Gronk because they "won without him". Their 2003 team had a defense which led the league with 29 Int's and they were not only extremely difficult to pass on but were the best scoring defense in the NFL at 14.9 points per game. The closest Gronk had a supporting cast like that was the 2014 defense but they weren't even close to as good as the '03 team as they were pitching shut outs.

Youre missing the big picture.

Im not suggesting that BB keeps the team and especially the defense the same. This defense was horrid in 2017. With todays Brady, you dont need a 2003 NE defense, just one thats better than 2017 defense. BB is making moves to overhaul the defense and I fully expect him to go defense heavy in this draft.

So, Im glad that you brought up defense as the way to get back to winning super bowls. Resources should be directed there and not to a drama queen TE who is having a tantrum. The Patriots do not need Gronk and can win without him. Trade him now while his stock is relatively high.

Gronk commands a lot of attention and that's why he may look to be "ineffective". His presence alone opens things up for the WR's.

Gronk gets double teams just the same as other players throughout the league do. And if the NE offense cant function without him, then that is a fools plan to pin the teams hopes on 1 player. Thats Andy Reid like when Andys whole game plan surrounded around Jamal Charles a few years ago in the 2014 Wild Card vs the Colts. Charles took himself out of the game and the Chiefs blew a 28 point lead as the offense ground to a halt.

Speaking of which, TE Travis Kelce went out of the 2017 Chiefs Wild Card game and KC lost to the Titans blowing a 17 point lead this time.

I would not cite anything that the Chiefs do as an example for this franchise unless you would like to be just like them sitting home in January.

I agree that a team should not pay someone just because another team was dumb enough to pay more money to a mediocre player. Gronk see's that and will get paid what he's worth one way or another. The Pats have been extremely lucky that Brady through the years hasn't reworked his contract after mediocre after mediocre player gets paid way more than him.

Because Brady realizes that if he cripples the team financially that the likely hood of sustained success is not favorable. When Brady is not the highest paid, then Gronk shouldnt be either.

Revis was coming off of mediocre years in Tampa. Gronk is the greatest TE of all time. There's a bit of a difference there.

Revis was coming off a super bowl win and wanted a new contract with big money that he got from the Jets. The Jets, Bucaneers, Chiefs payout like slot machines and thats why they are losing organizations.

Gronk is not the GOAT. That ridiculous.

Why should Gronk accept something like that when the Patriots are riding his ass about his training/rehab situation and making it more difficult for him to get the treatment he wants?

Because the treatment that Gronk is getting at the vitamin store is conflicting with the NE training staff.

Dont you understand that this Che Guevara guy is interfering with the way BB operates his teams? That is why Che was banned from the team plane and sidelines. Gronk is an employee of the NE Patriots. The Patriots have every right to have a say in his training and medical business.

Eh, if it's about money and we can afford it, I think we should get it done. We have a significant amount of cap space that we aren't even using. I think Brady extension gets done first though. And then Gronk, and then the house should be in order. Of course any extension has to come with the firm assurance that Gronk isn't planning to retire during the contract duration. :p

Youre missing the big picture.

Im not suggesting that BB keeps the team and especially the defense the same. This defense was horrid in 2017. With todays Brady, you dont need a 2003 NE defense, just one thats better than 2017 defense. BB is making moves to overhaul the defense and I fully expect him to go defense heavy in this draft.
So how much better do they need to be? Middle of the pack?

So, Im glad that you brought up defense as the way to get back to winning super bowls. Resources should be directed there and not to a drama queen TE who is having a tantrum. The Patriots do not need Gronk and can win without him. Trade him now while his stock is relatively high.
You're right they will be able to win without him...but how much is the question? They "won" without Moss but couldn't win a Super Bowl until 4 years after he left where Gronk was their TE. And you're conveniently forgetting that Gronk was a major reason they were able to move the ball on the Seahawks that game.

If they lose Gronk, I don't think they make it out of the AFC as they couldn't do in 2012 and 2013. They had a chance in 2015 because of Gronk. Are you forgetting his insane plays to get them back in the game?

Gronk gets double teams just the same as other players throughout the league do. And if the NE offense cant function without him, then that is a fools plan to pin the teams hopes on 1 player. Thats Andy Reid like when Andys whole game plan surrounded around Jamal Charles a few years ago in the 2014 Wild Card vs the Colts. Charles took himself out of the game and the Chiefs blew a 28 point lead as the offense ground to a halt.
I'm not saying the Pats only go through Gronk. The offense runs through Gronk meaning he is the first option because he has the best chance of making plays. His dominating presence opens everything up for the WR's and even RB's coming out of the backfield. If he's off the field, it makes it way easier for teams to take out Edelman and make Hogan, Mitchell, Matthews beat them.

Speaking of which, TE Travis Kelce went out of the 2017 Chiefs Wild Card game and KC lost to the Titans blowing a 17 point lead this time.
Not sure what you mean here. You just proved how important his loss was.

Because Brady realizes that if he cripples the team financially that the likely hood of sustained success is not favorable. When Brady is not the highest paid, then Gronk shouldnt be either.
It obvious why Brady does that. My point was that he could command any contract he wants but didn't for the greater good of the team. The whole point of Brady taking less is to pay guys like Gronk more. That's of course if Brady wants that.

Revis was coming off a super bowl win and wanted a new contract with big money that he got from the Jets. The Jets, Bucaneers, Chiefs payout like slot machines and thats why they are losing organizations.
I thought you were refferring to when the Pats first signed him. I would've have signed him to the big contract the Jets gave him after the Super Bowl win. He was good with the Pats in 2014 but you could tell he clearly lost a step. The Jordan Nelson TD before the first half was a good example.

Gronk is not the GOAT. That ridiculous.
Gronk to the NFL is to what Shaq was to the NBA. He is the most dominating TE and defenders have to hack and get dirty to take him down.

He’s no Sammy Watkins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back