PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Coronavirus RESPECTFUL Discussion Only! (Mod edit: Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not worried about the financial aspect of it. A correction is long overdue. We’ve enjoyed the longest expansion in American history. It was coming regardless of the Coronavirus.
I'm not predicting it will happen this time but the economic impact of a pandemic is completely independent of that. We're talking supply chain interruption of goods and services, people avoiding public gathering places, etc. For instance, imagine the domino effect of public schools shutting down like they already have in Japan.

I also hope you don’t go into hiding, shuttered in your home over it in fear. That’s no way to live.
No, I just plan to wash my hands often.

I'm not predicting it will happen this time but the economic impact of a pandemic is completely independent of that. We're talking supply chain interruption of goods and services, people avoiding public gathering places, etc. For instance, imagine the domino effect of public schools shutting down like they already have in Japan.

No, I just plan to wash my hands often.
I’m well aware of what it’s going to do to business, especially small business. But a correction was coming whether the virus spread or not. Deregulation was just a steroid in the arm of the economy that was guaranteed to wear off like it did in the 80s. The is just hastening said correction.

I might go buy a Bane mask, though, and walk around with that on. Not because it will protect me. Just because it’s badass. I may break someone’s back for good measure. Not sure. I’ll see how I feel.

Well the virus to end civilization as we know it may be nothing more than a semi bad case of the Flu.

Dr Fauci Op Ed NE Journal of Medicine:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

On the basis of a case definition requiring a diagnosis of pneumonia, the currently reported case fatality rate is approximately 2%.4 In another article in the Journal, Guan et al.5 report mortality of 1.4% among 1099 patients with laboratory-confirmed Covid-19; these patients had a wide spectrum of disease severity. If one assumes that the number of asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic cases is several times as high as the number of reported cases, the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1%. This suggests that the overall clinical consequences of Covid-19 may ultimately be more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%) or a pandemic influenza (similar to those in 1957 and 1968) rather than a disease similar to SARS or MERS, which have had case fatality rates of 9 to 10% and 36%, respectively.2

They also note that elderly males most at risk and children <15 not really affected.

So likely no big panic scenario. Israeli scientist are close the putting a vaccine into trials.
If true some on Wall St will clean up big time buying stocks that were sold in panic mode.

France has now banned all indoor gatherings of more than 5,000 and in the area north of Paris has banned all public gatherings.

I can't imagine they won't have a preventive shot by then.
They won’t have anything by September. It’ll be 12-18 months minimum. And even then, if the virus turns out to have a bunch of genetic drift the vaccine might not be very useful anyways.

Coronavirus is 2.3% fatal. Precisely to the contrary of what our gubmit said early on, this is NOT a flu-like proportion. It is about 23x as lethal as a normal flu outbreak.
Come on, PF, you're smarter than that. Stop giving misleading information to suit your TDS agenda.

The 2.3% fatality rate for C-19 comes from 3rd world backwaters, primarily impoverished regions of China with a government more concerned with covering things up than in actually treating the patients. Hubei Province had a mortality rate of 2% to 4%, but in the rest of China outside that province, the mortality rate was 0.7%. There is every reason to believe that if/when it strikes the U.S., we will be much, much closer to that 0.7% than the 2.3%

Does C-19 have a higher mortality rate than the flu? So far, yes. But 23x is an exaggeration.

I know what will happen by the end (I think)... those who want to believe "nothing happened" will do so, and the rest will bury their dead. If you lose 2.3%, and 40-70% really do catch it, you're talking 3 million Americans. Pretty mind-boggling number.
PF, you need to stop believing all the chicken little worst case scenarios. Let me fill you in on how the world works:

The media loves sensationalism. Sensationalism drives ratings. So when one scientist predicts 2% of the population will get it, and another scientist predicts 40% to 70% of the population will get it, which story do you think they are going to run with?

Your 3 million number is ridiculous. A far, far more realistic estimate is 2% of American's get it with 0.1% of them dying. That puts the number of deaths in the range of 7,000, which is still much lower than annual flu deaths in the U.S.

We'll have to use the Chargers model of playing in front of an empty stadium...
Yup. Fans (at the stadium) dont matter. TV revenue is what matters most.

Not sure what the panic is all about? For those of you with grand parents still around they might tell you (if their parents told them) about the Spanish Flu of 1918. "Bodies stacked like wood" If it gets that bad Ill worry. Till then we are operating normally at our house.

No way this only infects 2%. It’s more contagious than flu in pretty much every way — can last for up to 9 days on surfaces, infected people can give it to others for a week before showing any symptoms themselves, it can apparently be transmitted via the fecal-oral route as well as the usual ways respiratory diseases are trasmitted, etc.

It’s been retrospectively estimated that the 2009 H1N1 infected around 20% of the earth’s population. Likewise with the 1918 flu.

So IMHO this is going to infect at least that percentage, unfortunately. I’ll be way more than happy to be wrong and have it be lots less.

Last edited:
Well, they do estimate 80% of the cases will be non-severe. I’m glad that person seems to be having one.

Just install my Coronavirus software protection. Hopefully I won't get it visiting forums, or threw yahoo comments section.

One of the big unanswered questions is whether having the virus protects you from re-infection. This is pretty crucial in terms of panic mode. If most people will just have to stay home for 3-4 days, many wd just want to be infected now, and get it over with, but if the latter is in play, that changes the whole take on it and avoidance might be paramount.

I'm dropping some quick, simple first principles here:

1) I'm expecting precisely those advantages that I see evidence of. The mortality rate we know about is the 2.3% to date, and that is largely from cases in China. By the way, if anything, the more consistent pattern has been that they attempt to minimize reporting.... but if you attempt to minimize the no. of cases, and they "under-minimize" the mortality numbers, you get a higher mortality rate. BUT, that's speculation, like many of you guys have quoted below.

The known is that 2.3% number. so far.

2) When we know things "so far" there have, thus far, been factors that that have kept the worst outcomes largely at bay.

3) Today's press conference was great in a couple of ways. First, it might have killed POTUS, but they all walked back the "coronovirus is a hoax" language. It became some sort of "it's a hoax to cover it, but the virus itself is real" distinction. Whatever, regarding the politics. They're now not tethered to denial of the virus even being here.

4) notwithstanding (3), there's some issues remaining with the handling, but it is NOT a political thread and I'm not trying to take it there (granted many of us have verged on it.)

5) Fat tails. If you dont know "probablity slang," a fat tail event is one that's way unlikely and way high-impact. You really want to prevent them, so you do look out for something that looks like it CAN be the fat tail. In this case, it means the next Spanish Flu (basically). Now and then there's a candidate. So far they've fizzled. One day, it won't. Then bodies in the street.

Some people may have lived through too many hurricanes and the impending warnings of the apocalypse that come from the news coverage about them. I understand the news has a job to do in order to forewarn people, but you can only scream that the apocalypse is here so many times before people begin to laugh at you as if you’re some nut on a street corner in dirty underwear, and nothing else, screaming about God. Any pandemic is inherently dangerous. It’s the most realistic way outside of all out nuclear war that we’re going to be wiped out. But I’m not sure what to do about it. I’m still planning on traveling, going out, etc. If Coronavirus wants to find me and kill me, well... I guess it was my time to go.

(5), above. If there is info to get across, "thameeja" should help get it out there, the guys in white lab coats should figure out the best info, and you really want the technocrats in charge all the way around. That said, you HAVE to alarm even when you hope you don't get the worst outcome. That means that they tell you to leave for a hurricane that isn't that bad, because that's the thing you do 5 times before the 1 time that they tell you to leave before Katrina. Nature of the beast, to an extent. Safety's a species of risk management, and unless the goal is to protect ourselves in retrospect after we're dead or something... the majority of times that we begin to take precautions, we'll be wrong. Comforting thought, but don't get complacent, right?

I have a heightened stake in this with a wife who touches sick people in a big hospital four days a week. You personally are not at serious risk even if you contract the virus but quite a few folks will be. It's no stretch to figure this thing might hurt us all financially.

Yep, yep, and yep. Below, there's a comment regarding how extended the market rally's been, so this is just the inevitable thing that pops the present bubble... take everybody out of restaurants for a month, take down Chinese output significantly, etc., and reality becomes totally different... conceivably in a way that triggers a secular sea change. Might happen might not.

I can't imagine they won't have a preventive shot by then.

If it's bad, I think there will be attempts to put a shot out there after safety testing but before efficacy testing. That might get us there before a year is out... you know if it's bad they'll get it down to months (and then they'll brag about doing it.)

Come on, PF, you're smarter than that. Stop giving misleading information to suit your TDS agenda.

The 2.3% fatality rate for C-19 comes from 3rd world backwaters, primarily impoverished regions of China with a government more concerned with covering things up than in actually treating the patients. Hubei Province had a mortality rate of 2% to 4%, but in the rest of China outside that province, the mortality rate was 0.7%. There is every reason to believe that if/when it strikes the U.S., we will be much, much closer to that 0.7% than the 2.3%

Does C-19 have a higher mortality rate than the flu? So far, yes. But 23x is an exaggeration.

I don't know wtf a "TDS agenda" is. The remainder of your post is upbraiding me for quoting known facts, followed by you replacing the known-to-date with your speculation. Last line in your post - "does C-19 have a higher mortality rate than the flu? So far, yes, but 23x is an exaggeration" - is simply at odds with the facts. It's 2.3% vs. .1%. That's a factor of 23. You quarrel's not with me, it's with math.

PF, you need to stop believing all the chicken little worst case scenarios. Let me fill you in on how the world works:

The media loves sensationalism. Sensationalism drives ratings. So when one scientist predicts 2% of the population will get it, and another scientist predicts 40% to 70% of the population will get it, which story do you think they are going to run with?

Your 3 million number is ridiculous. A far, far more realistic estimate is 2% of American's get it with 0.1% of them dying. That puts the number of deaths in the range of 7,000, which is still much lower than annual flu deaths in the U.S.

I don't have a 3 million number. That's just the product of 2.3% mortality and a number toward the 40% end of the infection range (40-70%).

I'd love for the 3 million to be ridiculous. So far, such a result does not track with my first hand experience, so even as I type the fact, I too have a gut biased response that it is incorrect from first principles.

By the same logic, famously, Europeans had only seen white swans for millennia. In fact, a "black swan" became short for something that doesn't exist. Then Europeans went to the antipodes and observed black swans.

The lesson is that black swans not only have not been observed, but cannot be observed, by that logic. Why? Because we have not observed them.

But then we do (and everybody says "nobody could have predicted that."

Above, somebody else says he "cannot imagine" there won't be a shot before any really terrible outcome. But there's no reason given other than an inability to imagine.

By our present observations, we now appear to be seeing the next insanely deadly biological event (unless, of course, we're not.)

But that fat tail event, given enough tries, will happen. This particular disease is a candidate.

It is ridiculous to believe that 3 million americans will die in this outbreak. There is no reason to believe that they will not.

I will be happy to see the first indications that we've dodged another bullet. But I get why the infrequent but high-consequence event appears to be inevitably non-threatening.

It's just not true.

Last edited:
I'm dropping some quick, simple first principles here:

1) I'm expecting precisely those advantages that I see evidence of. The mortality rate we know about is the 2.3% to date, and that is largely from cases in China. By the way, if anything, the more consistent pattern has been that they attempt to minimize reporting.... but if you attempt to minimize the no. of cases, and they "under-minimize" the mortality numbers, you get a higher mortality rate. BUT, that's speculation, like many of you guys have quoted below.

The known is that 2.3% number. so far.

2) When we know things "so far" there have, thus far, been factors that that have kept the worst outcomes largely at bay.

3) Today's press conference was great in a couple of ways. First, it might have killed POTUS, but they all walked back the "coronovirus is a hoax" language. It became some sort of "it's a hoax to cover it, but the virus itself is real" distinction. Whatever, regarding the politics. They're now not tethered to denial of the virus even being here.

4) notwithstanding (3), there's some issues remaining with the handling, but it is NOT a political thread and I'm not trying to take it there (granted many of us have verged on it.)

5) Fat tails. If you dont know "probablity slang," a fat tail event is one that's way unlikely and way high-impact. You really want to prevent them, so you do look out for something that looks like it CAN be the fat tail. In this case, it means the next Spanish Flu (basically). Now and then there's a candidate. So far they've fizzled. One day, it won't. Then bodies in the street.

(5), above. If there is info to get across, "thameeja" should help get it out there, the guys in white lab coats should figure out the best info, and you really want the technocrats in charge all the way around. That said, you HAVE to alarm even when you hope you don't get the worst outcome. That means that they tell you to leave for a hurricane that isn't that bad, because that's the thing you do 5 times before the 1 time that they tell you to leave before Katrina. Nature of the beast, to an extent. Safety's a species of risk management, and unless the goal is to protect ourselves in retrospect after we're dead or something... the majority of times that we begin to take precautions, we'll be wrong. Comforting thought, but don't get complacent, right?

Yep, yep, and yep. Below, there's a comment regarding how extended the market rally's been, so this is just the inevitable thing that pops the present bubble... take everybody out of restaurants for a month, take down Chinese output significantly, etc., and reality becomes totally different... conceivably in a way that triggers a secular sea change. Might happen might not.

If it's bad, I think there will be attempts to put a shot out there after safety testing but before efficacy testing. That might get us there before a year is out... you know if it's bad they'll get it down to months (and then they'll brag about doing it.)

I don't know wtf a "TDS agenda" is. The remainder of your post is upbraiding me for quoting known facts, followed by you replacing the known-to-date with your speculation. Last line in your post - "does C-19 have a higher mortality rate than the flu? So far, yes, but 23x is an exaggeration" - is simply at odds with the facts. It's 2.3% vs. .1%. That's a factor of 23. You quarrel's not with me, it's with math.

I don't have a 3 million number. That's just the product of 2.3% mortality and a number toward the 40% end of the infection range (40-70%).

I'd love for the 3 million to be ridiculous. So far, such a result does not track with my first hand experience, so even as I type the fact, I too have a gut biased response that it is incorrect from first principles.

By the same logic, famously, Europeans had only seen white swans for millennia. In fact, a "black swan" became short for something that doesn't exist. Then Europeans went to the antipodes and observed black swans.

The lesson is that black swans not only have not been observed, but cannot be observed, by that logic. Why? Because we have not observed them.

But then we do (and everybody says "nobody could have predicted that."

Above, somebody else says he "cannot imagine" there won't be a shot before any really terrible outcome. But there's no reason given other than an inability to imagine.

By our present observations, we now appear to be seeing the next insanely deadly biological event (unless, of course, we're not.)

But that fat tail event, given enough tries, will happen. This particular disease is a candidate.

It is ridiculous to believe that 3 million americans will die in this outbreak. There is no reason to believe that they will not.

I will be happy to see the first indications that we've dodged another bullet. But I get why the infrequent but high-consequence event appears to be inevitably non-threatening.

It's just not true.
Eventually there will be a catastrophic pandemic that decimates world population, coronavirus is just a minor warmup. We're at 7.8 billion presently, growing at an annual rate of just over 1 percent (81 million). Check out this link, it's mind boggling: World Population Clock: 7.8 Billion People (2020) - Worldometer

Scientists have estimated the planet's carrying capacity at between 9 and 10 billion, so we're on the cusp. How many years to 9 billion? It's projected to hit 8.6 billion in 2030 and 9.8 billion in 2050. Fun times ahead! o_O

Last edited:
Eventually there will be a catastrophic pandemic that decimates world population, coronavirus is just a minor warmup. We're at 7.8 billion presently, growing at an annual rate of just over 1 percent (81 million). Check out this link, it's mind boggling: World Population Clock: 7.8 Billion People (2020) - Worldometer

Scientists have estimated the planet's carrying capacity at between 9 and 10 billion, so we're on the cusp. How many years to 9 billion? It's projected to hit 8.6 billion in 2030 and 9.8 billion in 2050. Fun times ahead! o_O
This might be it. On top of being long overdue for an economic correction, we’re also long overdue for a good, old fashioned purge. Some lady in Sanford just came up and visited the nearby beach town next to the one I live in, Atlantic Beach. Now she’s screaming that she thinks she has the Coronavirus. The news reported it and stores are already cleared out of hand sanitizer. At least they’ll have clean hands when they breathe in an airborne virus though.

This might be it. On top of being long overdue for an economic correction, we’re also long overdue for a good, old fashioned purge. Some lady in Sanford just came up and visited the nearby beach town next to the one I live in, Atlantic Beach. Now she’s screaming that she thinks she has the Coronavirus. The news reported it and stores are already cleared out of hand sanitizer. At least they’ll have clean hands when they breathe in an airborne virus though.
This one isn't it, it's not deadly enough. The real McCoy will be swift and lethal, like the Black Death of 14th century Europe.

BTW, are you sure you want to bring kids into a world headed for disaster within 30 years?

Not sure what the panic is all about? For those of you with grand parents still around they might tell you (if their parents told them) about the Spanish Flu of 1918. "Bodies stacked like wood" If it gets that bad Ill worry. Till then we are operating normally at our house.
I lost two great aunts to the spanish flu.

We won't know that we've gone past what the earth can handle until we do (and then some.) We might have already, such a limit might be greater than the estimate you've quoted. But meanwhile, here's a recently deceased very entertaining stats guy named Hans Rosling, with a few words on how population growth does and doesn't work.

Spoiler alert: he pisses in the cheerios of (1) people who never got beyond Parson Malthus, and (2) people who think it's hopeless... but it's good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back