PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Congrats to Cassel on his First NFL TD Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
patchick said:
I certainly wasn't rooting for mediocrity! (Suppose I said I'd be happy to find a $20 bill lying on the sidewalk. Does that mean I'd hate to find a $100?)

I was responding to a minority of posters here who seem to have been allergic to any praise of Cassel since the day he was drafted. The odd thing to me is the standard people seem to be holding him to. Most rookies can please us just by surpassing expectations, but Cassel has to do more. Take Drewwho's comments in this thread, such as:

"Sure he looked good, but let's not give that kid too many props. It was the last game of the year against all things decided. Lets see what we have when it truly means something!"

We're talking about a raw 7th-round rookie seeing his first significant NFL action, and we're not supposed to give him "too many props" for a 116 passer rating? Isn't it at least fair to say at this point that Cassel has exceeded expectations and wasn't a "waste" of a draft pick, as many claimed at the time?

I have no clue about Cassel's ceiling. But even if it's just solid backup level, I'm excited about it. The Patriots have needed greater stability at the backup quarterback position, and if they could find it at this price (with the possibility of long-term trade value) that would be a fine thing indeed.
Brilliant!
:rocker:

patchick said:
I certainly wasn't rooting for mediocrity! (Suppose I said I'd be happy to find a $20 bill lying on the sidewalk. Does that mean I'd hate to find a $100?)

[snip]

We're talking about a raw 7th-round rookie seeing his first significant NFL action, and we're not supposed to give him "too many props" for a 116 passer rating? Isn't it at least fair to say at this point that Cassel has exceeded expectations and wasn't a "waste" of a draft pick, as many claimed at the time?

I have no clue about Cassel's ceiling. But even if it's just solid backup level, I'm excited about it. The Patriots have needed greater stability at the backup quarterback position, and if they could find it at this price (with the possibility of long-term trade value) that would be a fine thing indeed.

Amen!

As I said in another thread, I'd love to see what Cassel could do with the starting crew (and not in an emergency situation). Maybe the second or third postseason game, perhaps?

Anyone who can't see Cassel's potential is blind or a true pessimist. He can throw, move and do boith at the same time. He has size and all the physical tools. A couple years playing under Belichick and Brady will help his mental game. Did anyone see Alex Smith's TD when he was on the run and had to jump as he threw to get enough on the ball ? And compare that to Cassel who can throw on the move and get plenty on the ball without having to assist himself like Smith did ? That's called an NFL arm (Cassel) and not an NFL arm (Smith).

BelichickFan said:
Anyone who can't see Cassel's potential is blind or a true pessimist. He can throw, move and do boith at the same time. He has size and all the physical tools. A couple years playing under Belichick and Brady will help his mental game. Did anyone see Alex Smith's TD when he was on the run and had to jump as he threw to get enough on the ball ? And compare that to Cassel who can throw on the move and get plenty on the ball without having to assist himself like Smith did ? That's called an NFL arm (Cassel) and not an NFL arm (Smith).

Are you kidding? Cassel is now better than Smith? He made 11 nice completions and should of had an INT in the last few seconds of the game if not for a very weak roughing the passer call.

hey, I want a strong back up too, but to say that Cassel has better skills than Smith over one throw is ridiculous.

patchick said:

I was responding to a minority of posters here who seem to have been allergic to any praise of Cassel since the day he was drafted. The odd thing to me is the standard people seem to be holding him to. Most rookies can please us just by surpassing expectations, but Cassel has to do more. Take Drewwho's comments in this thread, such as:

"Sure he looked good, but let's not give that kid too many props. It was the last game of the year against all things decided. Lets see what we have when it truly means something!"

Excellent post patchick! Well said and agree totally! :p

Drewwho said:
Are you kidding? Cassel is now better than Smith? He made 11 nice completions and should of had an INT in the last few seconds of the game if not for a very weak roughing the passer call.

hey, I want a strong back up too, but to say that Cassel has better skills than Smith over one throw is ridiculous.

Why all the negativity towards Cassel. I thought he played well yesterday. Did he steal your girlfriend or something?

re:

Count me in as one of those people who was very excited watching Cassel play yesterday.

To respond to a question posed by a previous poster, I actually do think Matt Cassel is better than Alex Smith. MUCH better. At least right now.

Cassel, having not played in a game for 4 months, was leading a unit full of backups and scrubs against the starting lineup of the NFL's #1 defense. He came away with a 116 passer rating and two touchdowns, and a great 2-minute drive to potentially tie the game.

Alex Smith on the other hand had 0 TD's and a dozen interceptions going into week 17. Talk about a complete bust, a wasted pick, and a huge contract that will take years to dump.

Even though Matt Cassel hadn't thrown a TD pass since high school before yesterday and is still raw, he shows much more potential than Alex Smith has shown all year.

Montana to Young. Brady to... Cassel?

Last edited:
Drewwho said:
Are you kidding? Cassel is now better than Smith?
I said he has a better arm, not that he's better.

Willie55 said:
Why all the negativity towards Cassel. I thought he played well yesterday. Did he steal your girlfriend or something?
I think you hit it on on the money with this one hahaha

I have been impressed with him since watching him in training camp and the preseason ESPECIALLY FOR A 7TH ROUND PICK. He performed well, leading a nice two minute drive for a TD with a lucky call for the pats (which happen to every team in the NFL). And as far as having nothing to play for, what exactly has san fransisco had to play for at all this entire year??? dont think much of anything.
not writing off alex smith or any other rookie after only one year in the nfl, but cassel did back up two heisman winners, one of which is up for debate as mvp and one about to win another national title.

kptmorgan04 said:
I think you hit it on on the money with this one hahaha

I have been impressed with him since watching him in training camp and the preseason ESPECIALLY FOR A 7TH ROUND PICK. He performed well, leading a nice two minute drive for a TD with a lucky call for the pats (which happen to every team in the NFL). And as far as having nothing to play for, what exactly has san fransisco had to play for at all this entire year??? dont think much of anything.
not writing off alex smith or any other rookie after only one year in the nfl, but cassel did back up two heisman winners, one of which is up for debate as mvp and one about to win another national title.

You're right...he is money!

Congrats to Matt Cassel. He did a good job on sunday. I think with some more playing time and he could become a really good QB. I like watching him play in preseason. One day he will be a starter in the NFL.

Drewwho said:

Cassel made more than one throw and so did Smith. What the guy said was that Cassel had a better arm than Smith, and used an example.

Why are youk so in love with Smith? Are you telling me that if we had Smith playing Sunday he would have done better than Cassel??????????

Last edited:
The ideal situation (thinking like a GM here) would be that Cassel is a future star --- like Steve Young backing up Montana --- only nobody really knows it yet because he hardly ever is needed to take any reps, with Brady enjoying great health. Then we don't have to pay him much.

This was a big step up for Matt from his last appearance with the Pat's, although his tendency to throw INT's is disconcerting. I liked his running ability although he does have a tendency to take big hits when running with the ball. From a very raw talent Matt has progressed well and some of that credit should go to Josh McDaniels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back