PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Comparing 2014 to 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you think that the threesome Wilfork, Mayo, and Kelly will contribute LESS than less year.

With regard to the WR position, it is difficult to imagine them producing less than in 2013.

True, but its also way too soon to declare this Pats team better than 2013.

Just for starters:

We dont know if Wilfork, Kelly and Mayo will be the same.

We dont know if the WRs will take a huge leap in production or Almendola will stay healthy.

The draft picks are all hopefuls. How often do they all pan out? Do we really need to be reminded of Chad Jackson,Meriweather and players like Maroney?

After 9 off seasons of sunshine and rainbows believing the Pats are ready to win another Lombardi, shouldnt we have guarded optimism? I do.

Perhaps you think that the threesome Wilfork, Mayo, and Kelly will contribute LESS than less year.

With regard to the WR position, it is difficult to imagine them producing less than in 2013.

Gee, I hope not. but would prefer to wait until the eggs hatch before counting chickens.

Gee, I hope not. but would prefer to wait until the eggs hatch before counting chickens.
IMHO, speculating on the future before we have all the facts is half of what we do here. The other half is complaining about the past.

Yes, during the season there is analysis of games. And occasionally, we talk x's and o's.

I think it pretty much all comes down to the injury situation, mgteich. Hopefully, we can get a bit more of a break than in the past couple/few years.

As you said, it's hard not to see a nice improvement in many areas from last year, with TE being the only real exception/unknown at the present time.

IMHO, speculating on the future before we have all the facts is half of what we do here. The other half is complaining about the past.

Yes, during the season there is analysis of games. And occasionally, we talk x's and o's.

Every off season this place goes through the same euphoria post draft.

Some of the players that are being raved about dont even make the roster. Many moving parts gave to line up before anybody can declare this team better than the last,

Last edited:
The biggest shortcoming last year was TE production, although it has not been completely addressed I expect more from that position.

Our lack production for TE's put more pressure on our young receivers, which was fairly abysmal... so combined with a year of experience and a greater contribution from the TE things will be better.

The second biggest area of need was the D Line, Jones and Vellano were ok, but got pushed around a lot... if we can get the majority of productive games from the D line we will also be better.

My list:
Third year players:
-Donta Hightower (He looks like he could be a quiet version of Brandon Spikes against the run with more to offer as a pass rusher.)

I really like what you're saying here about Hightower. He essentially is a more well-rounded version of Spikes. To see him in that role in the base, while letting him dabble a bit in the pass rush should make him a prime candidate for a guy to make a massive jump from last year.

I think Jones will make a substantial jump as well. I think he will improve on his own, but the better secondary may be a bigger factor, as it should also inflate his pass rushing numbers.

On the offensive side of the ball, Dobson is the best candidate for biggest improvement. He showed flashes of being a legitimate outside threat. And while you could see Brady lose it on him a few times, he never seemed to lose total faith in him. That's a pretty big deal for a young Patriot receiver.

You have to figure Boyce has to make at least some sort of progress as well. Even if it is just as a kick returner.

EDELMAN - a year of experience as a starter shouldn't hurt.

AMENDOLA - we should certainly get more from him than last year (not a high bar)

DOBSON - We should expect more from him than last year (not a high bar)

BOYCE - We should expect more from him than last year (not a high bar)

LAFELL/THOMPKINS - We should expect more than we got from Thompkins/Collie last year (not a high bar).

Sure, the results are TBD. However, it would hugely surprising if we did not get much more our of the wide receiver position this year.

To consider "worse" a reasonable outcome is being extremely pessimistic.

I wholeheartedly agree that the most likely result will be that the 2014 WR corps will be an improvement over 2013. However, the unit still does have question marks - much like they did at this time a year ago.

Julian Edelman
Glass Half Full: Builds on his first year as a full time starter, where he had 100+ receptions and 1,000+ yards receiving; expect the same production.
Glass Half Empty: 2013 was a career year and he regresses - or gets hurt. He missed four games due to injury in 2009, a month in 2011, then in 2012 he was out for three weeks early and then missed all of December and the playoffs with another injury.

Danny Amendola
Glass Half Full: Had immediate chemistry with Brady, catching ten passes for seven first downs and 104 yards in his first game. In 2010 he played in all 16 games and led the NFL in all-purpose yards, showing how dynamic a player he is.
Glass Half Empty: Whether it be due to his size or style of play, he has had three injuries that have either sidelined him or slowed him down in his five years in the NFL: an elbow injury in 2011 that put him on IR, the shoulder injury in 2012 on national tv that caused him to miss five games, and the groin injury last year that limited his production after week one.

Aaron Dobson
Glass Half Full: Builds upon a season in which he was 6th among all rookie wide receivers with 519 yards, despite missing about one-third of the season (five games).
Glass Half Empty: The stress fracture and foot surgery could cause him to not be ready for the season, or limit his production this year.

Josh Boyce
Glass Half Full: After a full year of learning the system he is ready to go in 2014.
Glass Half Empty: Despite a golden opportunity, Boyce couldn't get on the field and caught only nine passes in 2013. Is he destined to be the next in line of wide receiver draft busts?

Kenbrell Thompkins
Glass Half Full: Vastly exceeded expectations by not only making the roster as an undrafted free agent, but caught 32 passes for 466 yards and 4 touchdowns. With a full year under his belt, he should improve in 2014.
Glass Half Empty: With the exception of the Denver game, did virtually nothing after week 7. If the second half of 2013 is a gauge, he is in jeopardy of making the roster.

Brandon LaFell
Glass Half Full: He's a solid route-runner who can be effective against press coverage. Can run the short to intermediate routes outside the numbers, which compliments what Amendola and Edelman do in the middle of the field and Dobson does on deeper routes. Had decent production in a run-oriented offense in Carolina; that should improve with Brady as his quarterback.
Glass Half Empty: Not exactly a fast, quick-twitch, elusive guy; his most notable asset is as a run-blocker. Had his share of dropped balls, which won't go over well here. Spent most of his time as a slot receiver, which is not where he is needed.

Overall I would say that I am cautiously optimistic with this group, but not entirely sold on them yet. Dobson's injury in particular is somewhat troublesome to me, until I see him back at full speed. There appears to be enough quality depth to overcome the inevitable injury to any of the other wide receivers.

The biggest shortcoming last year was TE production, although it has not been completely addressed I expect more from that position.

Our lack production for TE's put more pressure on our young receivers, which was fairly abysmal... so combined with a year of experience and a greater contribution from the TE things will be better.

The second biggest area of need was the D Line, Jones and Vellano were ok, but got pushed around a lot... if we can get the majority of productive games from the D line we will also be better.

I agree that the biggest problem that the offense possessed last year was they didn't replace the production from the tight end position from the previous year. What I don't agree with is that the lost production necessarily needs to come from that position. If Gronk gives them what he gave last year, (39, 592, 4) as long as they get improvement from Dobson and one of Amendola/Boyce/Lafell and Vereen/White gives them more than they got from the RB position last year they will be fine.

I also think the loss of Woodhead was felt a lot more than I would have anticipated. Since there was no backup scatback we were forced to see a lot of Bolden in that role. Woodhead's number from 2012 (40 receeptions, 446 receiving yards, 3 receiving touchdowns ... 301 rushing yards, 4 touchdowns) were substantially better than Bolden's in 2013 (21 receptions 152 yards receiving, 0 touchdowns ... 271 rushing yards and 3 rushing touchdowns). Hopefully James White will be an upgrade there.

Isn't it a bit early to start running around yelling "The sky is falling"? Man, we haven't even hit TC yet and it's gloom and doom.

Wow, following a series of notes listing 15 players who should improve?

OK, but let's balance that a bit.

I expect Edelman to come back to earth.
I expect it will be challenging for Chandler Jones & Ninkovich to play 98% of the downs effectively.
I expect there will be injuries here and there.
I don't think that's a sky-is-falling statement.

I agree that the team shows areas of improvement and I'm pretty optimistic.
Also expect there will be some bumps.

EDELMAN - a year of experience as a starter shouldn't hurt.

AMENDOLA - we should certainly get more from him than last year (not a high bar)

DOBSON - We should expect more from him than last year (not a high bar)

BOYCE - We should expect more from him than last year (not a high bar)

LAFELL/THOMPKINS - We should expect more than we got from Thompkins/Collie last year (not a high bar).

Sure, the results are TBD. However, it would hugely surprising if we did not get much more our of the wide receiver position this year.

To consider "worse" a reasonable outcome is being extremely pessimistic.

Of course we hope for the best but to EXPECT or feel confident in anything except mediocrity from a bunch like that is lottery ticket hope/optimism. If Either of the wonder twins Edelman/Amendola is our most productive wr that is bad news. It would be like a hitter you want hitting singles,bunting,drawing walks being your most productive Run producer. The only shot this offense has is if Dobson leads in catches/yards.

There seems to be no help coming for this offense. Can anybody honestly feel good about this bunch in Denver in January? Or do you think we are likely to be saying wait til next year when we get a legit playmaker. Isnt that what everybody was thinking to them self while watching Manning smiling last January?

I wholeheartedly agree that the most likely result will be that the 2014 WR corps will be an improvement over 2013. However, the unit still does have question marks - much like they did at this time a year ago.

Julian Edelman
Glass Half Full: Builds on his first year as a full time starter, where he had 100+ receptions and 1,000+ yards receiving; expect the same production.
Glass Half Empty: 2013 was a career year and he regresses - or gets hurt. He missed four games due to injury in 2009, a month in 2011, then in 2012 he was out for three weeks early and then missed all of December and the playoffs with another injury.

Danny Amendola
Glass Half Full: Had immediate chemistry with Brady, catching ten passes for seven first downs and 104 yards in his first game. In 2010 he played in all 16 games and led the NFL in all-purpose yards, showing how dynamic a player he is.
Glass Half Empty: Whether it be due to his size or style of play, he has had three injuries that have either sidelined him or slowed him down in his five years in the NFL: an elbow injury in 2011 that put him on IR, the shoulder injury in 2012 on national tv that caused him to miss five games, and the groin injury last year that limited his production after week one.

Aaron Dobson
Glass Half Full: Builds upon a season in which he was 6th among all rookie wide receivers with 519 yards, despite missing about one-third of the season (five games).
Glass Half Empty: The stress fracture and foot surgery could cause him to not be ready for the season, or limit his production this year.

Josh Boyce
Glass Half Full: After a full year of learning the system he is ready to go in 2014.
Glass Half Empty: Despite a golden opportunity, Boyce couldn't get on the field and caught only nine passes in 2013. Is he destined to be the next in line of wide receiver draft busts?

Kenbrell Thompkins
Glass Half Full: Vastly exceeded expectations by not only making the roster as an undrafted free agent, but caught 32 passes for 466 yards and 4 touchdowns. With a full year under his belt, he should improve in 2014.
Glass Half Empty: With the exception of the Denver game, did virtually nothing after week 7. If the second half of 2013 is a gauge, he is in jeopardy of making the roster.

Brandon LaFell
Glass Half Full: He's a solid route-runner who can be effective against press coverage. Can run the short to intermediate routes outside the numbers, which compliments what Amendola and Edelman do in the middle of the field and Dobson does on deeper routes. Had decent production in a run-oriented offense in Carolina; that should improve with Brady as his quarterback.
Glass Half Empty: Not exactly a fast, quick-twitch, elusive guy; his most notable asset is as a run-blocker. Had his share of dropped balls, which won't go over well here. Spent most of his time as a slot receiver, which is not where he is needed.

Overall I would say that I am cautiously optimistic with this group, but not entirely sold on them yet. Dobson's injury in particular is somewhat troublesome to me, until I see him back at full speed. There appears to be enough quality depth to overcome the inevitable injury to any of the other wide receivers.

Excellent Analysis!

I'm very excited about the defense but not sure about the offense....really banking on the leap for the 2nd year guys, healthy Gronk and zero fumbles from Ridley.
On another note, the preseason games will certainly be met with anticipation, particularly watching young Jimmy in action. Did anyone else just hate it last August seeing so much of Tebow?

True, but its also way too soon to declare this Pats team better than 2013.

Just for starters:

We dont know if Wilfork, Kelly and Mayo will be the same.

They can't be worse then absent

We dont know if the WRs will take a huge leap in production or Almendola will stay healthy.

The team went 12-4 with their rookie seasons

The draft picks are all hopefuls. How often do they all pan out? Do we really need to be reminded of Chad Jackson,Meriweather and players like Maroney?

Did they really need anyone in this draft other than maybe Bryan Stork but only if Vollmer isn't back from a broken leg and Cannon can free Connolly to return to C by taking RG?

After 9 off seasons of sunshine and rainbows believing the Pats are ready to win another Lombardi, shouldnt we have guarded optimism? I do.

They've been to The Game twice since then and one gamer away several more times. Shouldn't this be a question more for the Jesters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST