PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colvin: The Patriots need a 'Fireman Ed'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't flame me too much for this one...

but another idea and something I took from the Jax/Pitt game, is give folks something they can use to participate with when cheering.

In Jax, they had those inflatable noise-maker tubes.

Look how people used a little (actually a lot!) of snow to change the atmosphere of a game.

That was the was the greatest time I had at a game EVER!

I'll have to beg to differ with #59. The day I need some whack-job to tell me what and when to cheer is the day I go sliding nude down a splintered bannister. The reason Gillette isn't Mile High isn't because people need to be reminded to cheer. Bad stadium design for noise, and 20 nutjobs in costume aren't going to change that.

NEM said:
His name is Bo. I will email him. See if I can get him to be the leader of the band on Sunday night, although I am sure I dont have to ask him, he is quite loud to begin with......

My friends and I have been calling him Destro for years. :D Nice to have a name that goes with the face of the fans. Thanx!

dryheat44 said:
The day I need some whack-job to tell me what and when to cheer is the day I go sliding nude down a splintered bannister.

Don't knock it till ya try it!

Robdude said:
I do not agree with this at alll. If you watch the last game (which I know you did) you would see that fireman Ed kept the crowd pumped up even when the Jets were losing by 24. When the Pats were losing to the Bills our crowd started booing. I dont know if it was due to the score or due to play calling at the end of the half but either way it does not matter. If our team has the ability to come back and win we should still be doing our part to cheer them on.
Not that it matters so much but didnt ours fans at the stadium look kind of stupid booing our team which came back to win against the BIlls?

Ummm. Fireman Ed is a fan. He reacts to good play, not create it. In other words he, and the crowd, didn't make the Jets play better in the second half. The Jets played better in the second half and Ed and the rest of the crowd started screaming.

That clown is essentially a die hard fan who likes to be on TV.

Last edited:
Peter Pat said:
This is totally wrong. I was there, the Jets fans were booing until the Cotchery TD. The whole first half they were quiet, and when they did make noise it was loud boos.The Jets got booed mercilessly going into halftime. When they failed on 4th down in the 3rd quarter, a lot of Jets fans just left. Teh rest stayed and booed. But once they scored the 2 TDs, the few fans who stayed got loud, real loud. But again that is more Giants Stadium than the fans.

I was not there at the game so I am sure what you are saying is true and I have not been to Giants stadium. But, from TV, regardless of the score the camera always showed fireman ed cheering the crowd on.
I think that is still my point, we have a team that has the ability to come back from pretty much anything. Why boo them?

dryheat44 said:
Ummm. Fireman Ed is a fan. He reacts to good play, not create it. In other words he, and the crowd, didn't make the Jets play better in the second half. The Jets played better in the second half and Ed and the rest of the crowd started screaming.

That clown is essentially a die hard fan who likes to be on TV.

See now I am sounded like someone that needs to join the fireman fan club. Which is not my intent. But, I think it was noticeable that he did not just react to good plays he tried to get the crowd into the game even when the Jets were making bad plays.

You are saying the crowd does not make the plays on the field. I think I figured that one out on my own. But could the fans help get a team going if they are flat? Isnt that part of the reason to see a game live instead of on the TV? Does booing a team at half time help them in any way? And if it does not help them then why do it?

What the Patriots need is for Colvin to shut the hell up and play football. You set the edge and rush the passer, Rosie, and the fans will do their thing if you do a good job, just like all other fans. We don't need some middle-aged doofus in a fireman hat to jump on his brother's shoulders and lead a chant that proves the crowd as a whole possesses a level of literacy on par with the average Sesame Street viewer (a high point for New Yorkers, no doubt), or launch into what appear to be spastic convulsions in order to excite the crowd, or write semi-coherent letters to Bob Kraft about the need for the team to have its own stadium, because, well, the team already has one. Say no to idiot "superfans" like Fireman Ed, say yes to normal, well adjusted fans that know when to scream their lungs out (like say, when the other team is on offense).

Slagathor said:
Look how people used a little (actually a lot!) of snow to change the atmosphere of a game.

That was the was the greatest time I had at a game EVER!

I think that game should also suggest to us all that the idea that the Razor is full of nothing but bored yuppies is WAY overblown. The diehards and the enthusiam are present and accounted for...it's just a hard place to crank up the decibel level.

I still think the video screen could be used more. The old Belushi/Braveheart/Predator scenes used to work well. Now the only thing they do is that stupid DE - FENSE thing that half the people can't figure out anyway.

I'm too lazy to look it up right now, but since it opened the Patriots home record at Gillette stadium has been approximately incredible. (*) I guess the stadium is not that bad a place for the home team to play then.

Having said that, it is of course incumbent on all loyal fans to make as much noise as possible when the opposing team has the ball and of course especially when they are trying to call signals at the line. Too many fans, loyal or otherwise, don't know when to make noise and when to be quiet.

(*) (edit) Mike Reiss, coincidentally, did my homework for me in today's Globe:

Since Gillette Stadium opened in 2002, the Patriots lead the NFL with a 31-6 home record, while allowing an NFL-low 15.7 points per game. The Broncos have the second-best home record over that span, at 27-8 . . .

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba.../09/20/these_opponents_have_a_history?mode=PF

Last edited:
Very much of topic here but where do you find those cartoons Patsri?

Robdude said:
Very much of topic here but where do you find those cartoons Patsri?
The URL is right there right below the cartoon

PlattsFan said:
When did Gillette suddenly get this reputation as Petco Field East? It's always been a fairly loud stadium at big points in the game ... maybe not Arrowhead, but pretty good.

The Pats stink up the joint in the first half against the Bills, and they wonder why the place was quiet? Is that it?

What people are forgetting is what the players were saying THEY DID NOT LIKE about Gillette Stadium. They don't like how the fans ARE SO FAR from the sidelines unlike how it was at the old Foxborough Stadium where the fans were right on top of the team benches. I truly think it's stadium design.

dryheat44 said:
I'll have to beg to differ with #59. The day I need some whack-job to tell me what and when to cheer is the day I go sliding nude down a splintered bannister. The reason Gillette isn't Mile High isn't because people need to be reminded to cheer. Bad stadium design for noise, and 20 nutjobs in costume aren't going to change that.
I don't know if fans have become so used to winning that it's no longer that exciting anymore, or if it's the breed of fans that are there, but it's definitely quieter than it was say 2-3 years ago and that's not the stadiums fault.

If the Razor sucks for noise, then try harder to be louder and stop making excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe