PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Colin Cowherd wants KC to trade Eric Berry, Dontari Poe, & Travis Kelce for Garoppalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trades like that almost never happen in the NFL and how would that even work? Are the Chiefs going to Tag Berry and then trade him?

Berry and Poe are free agents...

I'd rather trade position with Cleveland in every round. You know, trade Jimmy to go from 32 to 1, 64 to 33, 96 to 65 etc.

Cowherd put 0 actual thought into this one obviously.

You are correct, Berry and Poe are both FAs.

Smith has a $17M contract with $7M dead cap hit. Moving Kelce would result in another roughly $8M in dead money for the Chiefs, though it would lower his number to $8M/$10M for the team acquiring him since $2M per season goes on the Chiefs cap.

So Cowherd thinks we'll take 2 FAs who will be on the roster for a month or so, Kelce, and the Chiefs get one year of Jimmy and a $17M backup QB, and potentially $8M-$15M in dead money.

That might be the stupidest hot take of the year, and it's only January 21...
Actually it makes sense. Let me explain.

Essentially the deal is JG for Kelce, which I think is fair value, I'll exolain later. The bonus is because Poe and Berry are FA's, if the deal is consumated before the start of the new NFL year, the PATS would be the team to benefit in comp picks when Berry and Poe hit it big in FA.

The reason I'd take Kelce over a first round pick is between him and Gronk you'd have even a more difficult problem defending that duo than Gronk and Bennett, plus he's much younger a much better receiver (though a worse blocker) and you'd have him for 2 years at $9MM/yr which is more than fair for the 2nd best TE in the league. And because you'd have Kelce, you wouldn't need to sign Bennett, and HE'd add to comp pick bonanza (though it would make me very sad to see him go, personally)

So in the end it the trade would be JG, for Kelce, at least 2 low third round picks and other comp picks. Now we all know that this deal will NEVER happen, but it would make sense to the Pats and give KC the QB they need. I too thought Colin was nuts when I first read this, but.....

Let's see here. I don't think Eric Berry is as good as Chung when it comes to covering tight ends.

Travis Kelce is an overrated hot headed douche.

I don't enough about Poe.

So with that being said, I'll take all those guys + two 1st round picks, two 2nd round picks, 3rd round pick, 4th round pick, and a 5th round pick.

They can have Jimmy for that.:)

This trade simply can not happen since Berry and Poe are both UFAs. Chiefs can only tag one to be traded. Teams cannot trade players that are not under contract with them and the trade deadline starts the same time as free agency.

What if we traded Brady to KC
That would mean they would have Had Brady and Montana.

Actually it makes sense. Let me explain.

Essentially the deal is JG for Kelce, which I think is fair value, I'll exolain later. The bonus is because Poe and Berry are FA's, if the deal is consumated before the start of the new NFL year, the PATS would be the team to benefit in comp picks when Berry and Poe hit it big in FA.

The reason I'd take Kelce over a first round pick is between him and Gronk you'd have even a more difficult problem defending that duo than Gronk and Bennett, plus he's much younger a much better receiver (though a worse blocker) and you'd have him for 2 years at $9MM/yr which is more than fair for the 2nd best TE in the league. And because you'd have Kelce, you wouldn't need to sign Bennett, and HE'd add to comp pick bonanza (though it would make me very sad to see him go, personally)

So in the end it the trade would be JG, for Kelce, at least 2 low third round picks and other comp picks. Now we all know that this deal will NEVER happen, but it would make sense to the Pats and give KC the QB they need. I too thought Colin was nuts when I first read this, but.....

In my original post I joked we would have them for a month or so. But we couldn't really because there is a trade deadline, and we are well past that.

All player contracts for 2016 expire at the same time free agency starts for 2017, which is when trading for 2017 also begins. So KC can't actually make that deal even if they wanted to. Which again, points to zero thought from Cowherd.

Trading for JAG only to trade away perhaps your biggest playmaker on O is nonsensical. You trade for JAG to maximize Kelce.

he bonus is because Poe and Berry are FA's, if the deal is consumated before the start of the new NFL year, the PATS would be the team to benefit in comp picks when Berry and Poe hit it big in FA.

Trades and the start of free agency start at the same time 4 PM March 9th. So no trades can happen before then.

Of the three, Poe is the guy I'd be interested in. Big DT, a Scott Pioli selection, and a former draft binkie of mine. Fits a legit need for us.

But this is a completely ridiculous trade proposal.

What if we traded Brady to KC
That would mean they would have Had Brady and Montana.

Yes that's what it would mean, you answered your own question and thus the point of this post is not a thing.

Fake lets pretend news.

Cowherd is dumb and his takes are dumb. But this is not fake news in that 1) It's not fake, he said this and 2) This is not news, and is not being treated as such. Unless the news is that he said it, which he did, which makes the news not fake.

TBH I don't see why NE wouldn't want to hold onto Garoppalo. I can't see the Pats being given the house by another team. At best they'll get a 2nd rounder.

Brady has what, 2 maybe 3 years left? Keep Garoppolo and make a smooth transition for the inevitable passing of the torch. That's what I would do.

Speaking of sh!t Cowherd says:

kelce is a 15 yard penalty waiting to happen on every offensive snap.

no thanks.

Cowherd can make some good points at times, and can really have some interesting ideas. But sometimes the guy just really overthinks himself with way too hot of takes.

As other have clearly noted, this trade proposal had very little serious thought behind it or Colin would have realized that it couldn't technically happen.

Colin's take that Brady was playing for his job was also quite far-fetched (although he did believe that the Patriots would win convincingly over the Steelers).

That being said, I like Colin Cowherd a lot. He's often very insightful (these thoughts from the past week notwishstanding) and entertaining. I like a lot of the guests he has on his show and since I now run a business from my home, I get to watch his show a lot. In my opinion, his is the best sports talk show around between his own insights and the (sometimes) very knowledgeable guests he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore