PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Classic "non speak" from Belichick on Samuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
iam a little surprised at the reporters who keep asking the same questions for years and then later berate him in their columns for not sharing information every yr. I figure they shouldve known better .For e.g today's question on asante

If he did not report, would you have been comfortable starting the season with the group you had?
"He came in today. The rest of the hypothethical questions, I don't know. It doesn't make any difference. We'll take it day to day and go with the information that's available."

Last edited:
My favorite answer is always "my crystal ball is no better than yours" because it pretty much exposes the fallacy of the entire sports media world - all about predicting and projecting and guessing what no one really knows.

Really, read through those questions and ask yourself if ANY answer is meaningful.
And this is the essence of Belichick. There is no meaningful answer when you have the discipline to deal only in the moment with the available facts. Projecting simply limits the ability to remain flexible in order to react to the facts available at the moment.

We are fortunate to have such a disciplined coach, management, team. I need neither optimistic nor pessimistic stories based on mindless speculation. It serves no useful purpose other than to satisfy those who waste time.

Who cares what he says in his press conferences. Look at the difference between the Pats vs the Panthers and the Jets vs Giants in terms of quality of football. We're lucky to have him.

BB to TB: "So, they asked me, you know, did I think Samuel looked ready to play?"

TB, smiling: "Yeah?"

BB: "I almost said he was day-to-day."

TB, starting to laugh. "That would have been cruel."

BB: "Yeah, that's what I thought, so I said 'it's always good to have a good player on the field.'"

TB, laughing out loud. "How many times have you said that."

BB, also beginning to laugh. "About a thousand, it's one of my favorites."

TB, almost crying now: "Why didn't you say 'your crystal ball isn't any better than mine?'"

BB, having trouble catching his breath. "I didn't want to overuse that one. I'll need it when they start asking if we're going to win the Superbowl."

TB: "Who came up with that one, anyhow?"

BB: "I think it was Rodney."

TB: "I'll try to think of something better for next time."

BB: "Good. I don't think I can get away with 'they did some things well, but there's a lot of room for improvement' again. They're starting to laugh when I say that. How about this--the next time I get a question, what if I point to another reporter and tell him to give my answer?"

TB: "Do it to Borges. I'd love to see the expression on his face."

"All I do as coach is coach the team. Just try to make the team better, try to give the team the best chance to win, and do what I can do to help the football team. That's my job, that's what it's been, and that's it's going to be."
Slightly disingenuous, since he is also the GM. He was asked a question, and chose to answer as Bill the coach rather than Bill the GM. Bill the GM is obviously very involved in decisions and negotiations regarding player deals.

In spite of what some may feel, I personally enjoy the content and delivery of BB in his press conferences.

I have no right or expectation to anything more.

Agreed. Ask a stupid question, get a garbage answer. Ask a half decent question, he'll give you a decent answer. Ask a good question, and you are hearing the truth and wisdom of one of the great football minds... ever.

iam a little surprised at the reporters who keep asking the same questions for years and then later berate him in their columns for not sharing information every yr. I figure they shouldve known better .For e.g today's question on asante

That's it right there. When he gives a "nothing more" statement ask a different question.

An amoeba would probably learn to try another path if it always ran into a dead end.

"OK, Asante [Samuel] came to the facility this morning. I spoke with him and he's going through the normal process that any player would go through at the beginning of camp, in terms of getting his physical and taking the conditioning run, and so forth. That's basically where we are on that one."

That was it on that subject today. If you're really clever, you might get insight through a very indirect question, but that's the answer to that question every time you ask it today.:bricks: :bricks: :bricks: :confused:

BB to TB: "So, they asked me, you know, did I think Samuel looked ready to play?"

TB, smiling: "Yeah?"

BB: "I almost said he was day-to-day."

TB, starting to laugh. "That would have been cruel."

BB: "Yeah, that's what I thought, so I said 'it's always good to have a good player on the field.'"

TB, laughing out loud. "How many times have you said that."

BB, also beginning to laugh. "About a thousand, it's one of my favorites."

TB, almost crying now: "Why didn't you say 'your crystal ball isn't any better than mine?'"

BB, having trouble catching his breath. "I didn't want to overuse that one. I'll need it when they start asking if we're going to win the Superbowl."

TB: "Who came up with that one, anyhow?"

BB: "I think it was Rodney."

TB: "I'll try to think of something better for next time."

BB: "Good. I don't think I can get away with 'they did some things well, but there's a lot of room for improvement' again. They're starting to laugh when I say that. How about this--the next time I get a question, what if I point to another reporter and tell him to give my answer?"

TB: "Do it to Borges. I'd love to see the expression on his face."

:rofl: :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill