PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Christian Gonzalez named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score

Patriots CB Christian Gonzalez won NFL defensive rookie of the month for September. Well deserved after holding up against A.J. Brown, Devonta Smith, Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle and Garrett Wilson.

16 total tackles, one sack, one interception and three passes defensed.

CJ Stroud won Offensive Rookie of the month for those interested.

Richly deserved by Gonzo.

Surprised by this just because Gonzalez doesn't really have gaudy stats and the league seems to be so in love with Jalen Carter. It is well deserved, but I was thinking Gonzalez was flying under the radar nationally.

Full list:

AFC Offensive POTM: Tua Tagovailoa, Miami Dolphins.
AFC Defensive POTM: TJ Watt, Pittsburgh Steelers.

NFC Offensive POTM: Christian McCaffery, San Francisco 49ers.
NFC Defensive POTM: Micah Parsons, Dallas Cowboys.

NFL Offensive Rookie of the month: CJ Stroud, Houston Texans.
NFL Defensive Rookie of the month: Christian Gonzalez, New England Patriots.

Surprised by this just because Gonzalez doesn't really have gaudy stats and the league seems to be so in love with Jalen Carter. It is well deserved, but I was thinking Gonzalez was flying under the radar nationally.

I think with invention of advanced stats and grading (whatever it's weaknesses), players that may traditionally have flown under the radar are now seeing the deserved praise for their performances.

Yeah, and even with rookie DBs, I have seen a lot of love for Brian Branch too. I also felt Gonzo was under-the-radar. This is really encouraging to see and he'll probably only get better... DROY watch starts now. No wonder "Sauce" was grumpy.

Well deserved Gonzo reminds me of Ty Law so well rounded for a Rookie CB.

Did McCourty ever win this award his rookie season?

I've started to at gonzo in the same way sauce is regarded and other top CBs in the league today. They don't neccessary have the INT'S, as OCs and QBs show them respect not throwing in thier direction. (IMO) I'm interested to see Gonzo on Diggs.. he's been a problem for us.

I've started to at gonzo in the same way sauce is regarded and other top CBs in the league today. They don't neccessary have the INT'S, as OCs and QBs show them respect not throwing in thier direction. (IMO) I'm interested to see Gonzo on Diggs.. he's been a problem for us.
Someone who can neutralize DIggs can completely flip that matchup for us.

Buffalo also isn't as deep at WR as they were two years ago when they thrashed us. We're also way deeper at CB now than we were then.

Wonder if he could play wide receiver too?
DROM & OROM in October! :rofl:

This kid is special.
He's well beyond my expectations in coverage. I thought he looked a little thin but he plays much bigger and should be even stronger in a year or two. Great choice.

The eye test tells it all.

Well done to the young man , just how on earth did he last until we picked.

Congrats well deserved!

Seemed like nothing but a pipe dream on draft day. Reality is as good as we could have hoped.

Cornerstone player

Are rookies only eligible for rookie awards? There isn’t a cb in the NFL this year that can boast what Gonzales has done. He should of won both if thats possible.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back