PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Check out This Rumor

Yeah but the way the cap is set up in the NBA, the C's can offer Jefferson much more money, and an extra year on a deal, whereas other teams couldn't. Most players don't leave their respective teams, and if they do, it's because they are not franchise types, and it comes via a sign and trade. Phoenix missed nothing from Johnson, and got 2 firsts, and Boris Diaw in return. Next years Atlanta pick is unprotected.

If you could guarantee me that Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Rajon Rondo, the #5 pick we're about to make, and the ensuing number one picks in 08, will all be on this team in 5-8 years, I would trade Paul Pierce for a bag of potato chips (well, and some expensive but expiring contract, of course), and PP is one of my favorite players in the league.

But I don't think you can be sure of that. Ainge himself has gone on record saying he doesn't think he'll be able to retain all these guys. It's not just money or years, Boston is not a popular place for NBA players. If he really thinks they can retain the key players - Jefferson, Green, Rondo, whoever we draft at 5, then I'd agree with you and say blow it up ASAP.

Last edited:
If you could guarantee me that Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Rajon Rondo, the #5 pick we're about to make, and the ensuing number one picks in 08, will all be on this team in 5-8 years, I would trade Paul Pierce for a bag of potato chips (well, and some expensive but expiring contract, of course), and PP is one of my favorite players in the league.

But I don't think you can be sure of that. Ainge himself has gone on record saying he doesn't think he'll be able to retain all these guys. It's not just money or years, Boston is not a popular place for NBA players. If he really thinks they can retain the key players - Jefferson, Green, Rondo, whoever we draft at 5, then I'd agree with you and say blow it up ASAP.

Boston is not a popular place for NBA players? I've heard that before and it is garbage. New England is not a popular place for NFL players. Boston is not popular place for MLB players. Boston is not a popular place for corporate people. Boston is a great city. What determines if an individual wants to work in an environment is what they get out of the situation and what type of organization in which they will work. It was not too long ago that the Patriots could not get players to come here. Ditto for the Red Sox, who sometimes still have that problem. The Celtics are an up and coming team. One huge factor for a player to come here is the salary cap (quite different then any other sport). Maybe players didn't want to play for Pitino, but that was yesterday.

That trade has my head spinning. Why would you trade away a player who will be better then Garnett in two years (Garnett may be out of the league or with another team). Some people are salivating over Pierce and Garnett, so what. Does that mean the Celts will raise an Eastern Conference Championship Banner? That team does not beat the Spurs or the Suns. Add the right draftee, or two (32) to this squad and with luck this team wins the Eastern Conf., but more importantly, will get a lot better by not trading.

id LOVE garnett in a c's uni
however, i really dont wanna give up big al
if there was a way we could do somthin like this: #5, ratliff, gerald, gomes/delonte, future first rounder
id do it

Boston is not a popular place for NBA players? I've heard that before and it is garbage....It was not too long ago that the Patriots could not get players to come here.

Winning [and money] makes people forget everything else. But right now, the C's aren't winning, and it's not even on their radar screen.

So the other factors - national exposure, weather, nightlife (even a player that likes it here, PP, complains about how early the city shuts down), relevance - are even more important.

I love Boston, I've lived around or in it my entire life, but you gotta be kidding me if you think an NBA player had a chance to play either here, LA, Phoenix, Miami or just about another half dozen cities with one or multiple of the following: a better team, better nightlife, better weather, better national exposure, etc. that they'd pick Boston.

Last edited:
Winning [and money] makes people forget everything else. But right now, the C's aren't winning, and it's not even on their radar screen.

So the other factors - national exposure, weather, nightlife (even a player that likes it here, PP, complains about how early the city shuts down), relevance - are even more important.

I love Boston, I've lived around or in it my entire life, but you gotta be kidding me if you think an NBA player had a chance to play either here, LA, Phoenix, Miami or just about another half dozen cities with one or multiple of the following: a better team, better nightlife, better weather, better national exposure, etc. that they'd pick Boston.
So many people opting for Miami, I almost forgot. Ever live there?
Please name all the 'other' cities who have better exposure then Boston. New York would be one, with a great night life. Players are doing everything they can to play for the Knicks, right? Chicago will have great exposure with the media, and the weather is great too ? No thank you for the Phoenix weather. Nash went there, but he also had started out there. Los Angelos is king, uh well, I mean if you like the Lakers, not the Clippers who reside in the same location. It is about winning and money, something that has escaped the Celtics of late. Thomas could have made more money and a nicer climate in San Fran, but chose the Patriots, who happen to reside in New England. Unless your going to say NFL players differ from NBA players.

So many people opting for Miami, I almost forgot. Ever live there?
Please name all the 'other' cities who have better exposure then Boston. New York would be one, with a great night life. Players are doing everything they can to play for the Knicks, right? Chicago will have great exposure with the media, and the weather is great too ? No thank you for the Phoenix weather. Nash went there, but he also had started out there. Los Angelos is king, uh well, I mean if you like the Lakers, not the Clippers who reside in the same location. It is about winning and money, something that has escaped the Celtics of late. Thomas could have made more money and a nicer climate in San Fran, but chose the Patriots, who happen to reside in New England. Unless your going to say NFL players differ from NBA players.

Relax, man, I already said winning trumps all and that I personally love Boston.

Adalius Thomas came to the Pats to win.

Since the C's aren't winning, they'd need some of the other things that players consider (money & location), and they're lacking in it.

All I'm asking you for is one good reason why an NBA free agent would want to come to Boston right now, or why any of our young [potential] stars have compelling reasons to stay here (other than the contract related ones RealWorld laid out).

Last edited:
Relax, man, I already said winning trumps all and that I personally love Boston.

Adalius Thomas came to the Pats to win.

Since the C's aren't winning, they'd need some of the other things that players consider (money & location), and they're lacking in it.

All I'm asking you for is one good reason why an NBA free agent would want to come to Boston right now, or why any of our young [potential] stars have compelling reasons to stay here (other than the contract related ones RealWorld laid out).

You still have a problem with Boston as a location, as you've mentioned in this post and others. I don't get it. NBA cities that are better then Boston?
Toronto
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Detroit
Cleveland
Indiana
Milwaukee
Washington
Utah
Minnesota
Houston
Memphis
New Orleans/Oklahoma
That is almost half of the NBA teams, and I've got to tell you I would not want to live in most of those places and certainly not better cities then Boston. New York is just a cold as Boston and is in worse shape as a franchise. Chicago is very comparable to Boston as that is where I live. They are on the verge of being a very good team. So that leaves a number of Southern and West Coast teams. Is that where all the free agents sign?

You still have a problem with Boston as a location, as you've mentioned in this post and others. I don't get it. NBA cities that are better then Boston?
Toronto
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Detroit
Cleveland
Indiana
Milwaukee
Washington
Utah
Minnesota
Houston
Memphis
New Orleans/Oklahoma
That is almost half of the NBA teams, and I've got to tell you I would not want to live in most of those places and certainly not better cities then Boston.

I agree with all of the above. That puts Boston slightly above middle of the pack. I'm simply saying because they are losing right now, in order to attract free agents, they'd have to have something else to offer.

Basically, I'm not even really arguing with you - I agree FAs go where the $$ is, and go where the prospect of success is. And in general, NBA free agency isn't that lively to begin with. Which is why you Ainge doesn't look at it as a useful way of getting better.

That trade has my head spinning. Why would you trade away a player who will be better then Garnett in two years (Garnett may be out of the league or with another team). Some people are salivating over Pierce and Garnett, so what. Does that mean the Celts will raise an Eastern Conference Championship Banner? That team does not beat the Spurs or the Suns. Add the right draftee, or two (32) to this squad and with luck this team wins the Eastern Conf., but more importantly, will get a lot better by not trading.

yeah, I wouldn't trade Jefferson for one year of KG straight up. The fact that the rumor involves the #5 and Green on top of Jefferson is just downright silly.

The only way you trade Al is for Kobe (I'm not saying I want to root for Kobe, but he's the kind of player no one is untouchable for) or a PG.

If the Celts can't make a trade to get Pierce some help they have to explore trading him while he has a lot of value. I'm not talking about one of those 50-cent-on-the-dollar trades to get rid of him, but seeing if anyone is willing to offer value for him.

yeah, I wouldn't trade Jefferson for one year of KG straight up. The fact that the rumor involves the #5 and Green on top of Jefferson is just downright silly.

I'm completely dismissing the rumors myself. I'm sure we're in contact, but I bet when Al Jefferson's name comes up Ainge probably says "we're done."

Big Al is off limits right now. He's already good in the short term, so whether their plans are to win now or win in the future, he's in them.

FYI, reading hoopshype, it looks like neither Garnett or Marion would be willing to extend their stay in Boston past one year...it goes beyond winning, these guys just clearly don't want to play here.

Which is a shame, b/c both of them - depending upon what we give up - would make us contenders in the East.

FYI, reading hoopshype, it looks like neither Garnett or Marion would be willing to extend their stay in Boston past one year...it goes beyond winning, these guys just clearly don't want to play here.

Which is a shame, b/c both of them - depending upon what we give up - would make us contenders in the East.
Yea right, and it had nothing to do with trying to get a bigger contract. It's about winning and making $.

Yea right, and it had nothing to do with trying to get a bigger contract. It's about winning and making $.

Get a bigger contract? KG would be really stupid to opt out of his $25 million option. Ditto Marion for his $18 mill. These guys aren't opting out - and they won't, especially if they go to a destination they are OK with playing in.

So it has nothing to do with money.

As for winning, both of those guys have to realize that if they are coupled with Paul Pierce, they are now one of the elite teams in the East. The West is just such a tougher road, so if getting to the playoffs and going deep is their concern, they are truly better off on a good team in the East than a good team in the West.

Last edited:
I know the NBA is irrelevent, but I want to see Kevin Garnnet as a Celtic..

Get a bigger contract? KG would be really stupid to opt out of his $25 million option. Ditto Marion for his $18 mill. These guys aren't opting out - and they won't, especially if they go to a destination they are OK with playing in.

So it has nothing to do with money.

As for winning, both of those guys have to realize that if they are coupled with Paul Pierce, they are now one of the elite teams in the East. The West is just such a tougher road, so if getting to the playoffs and going deep is their concern, they are truly better off on a good team in the East than a good team in the West.

Neither K.G. or Marion will become Celtics without extensions, thus, its about the money. K.G. never did say he wouldn't play for the Celtics, it was his agent. Evidently, you also think highly of Paul Pierce, maybe a little too high.

I know the NBA is irrelevent, but I want to see Kevin Garnnet as a Celtic..

Not really. He is not worth the price. How many games did the Wolves win last year? So the Celtics are going to trade away all their assets for a guy that has already played his best games. The Celtics will win more games with the #5 and their core, then the Wolves next year if the Wolves have KG.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back