PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Celtics 2017/2018 Thread

Pretty good example of how Smart can make a huge difference to this team without being a scorer.
I'm getting ready for tomorrow night...
upload_2018-4-29_20-29-51.jpeg"All right, welcome everyone to Boston Celtics basketball, thith ith Johnny Most high above courtside for tonight's game between the Celtikth and the Philadelphia Theventy-Thixerth...thith ith the millionth time they've met each other in the playoffth..."

Great win on Saturday night. My thoughts on round 2:

a.) I am happy we aren't facing Antetokounmpo anymore....he is probably the MVP of the east conference...maybe...(LeBron is still the King).

b.) Philly shoots threes a lot better than Milwaukee and they have a better half court offense.

c.) We need to keep a lid on JJ Redick the best we can...if he gets going...and Bellini/Saric/Covington start pouring it in from downtown...we're screwed, IMO.

d.) Horford/Baynes can keep Embiid from having MONSTER games at least....just limiting Embiid to 20/10 would be an achievement....

e.) Not sure how we will defend Simmons though...the kid is 6'10"!!!! I am thinking a little team effort there...

f.) Brown being out hurts us a lot....I think this means we open with a starting line up of: Baynes, Horford, Tatum, Rozier, and Smart. With Monroe/Larkin/Ojeleye/Morris all getting more minutes...maybe we see Nader too...

g.) I don't feel good about the first 3 games of this series...I feel that we need a few games to figure out what to do about Philly like we did against Milwaukee (we allowed zero transition baskets in game 7 and found that Ojeleye was the best match up for Antetokounmpo...for a few examples). The more games we win in the early going...the longer this series goes. I can see us bouncing out in 5 games...but can see us squeaking by in 7..... I just want to see how far we can make it without Kyrie and Gordon.

Great win on Saturday night. My thoughts on round 2:

a.) I am happy we aren't facing Antetokounmpo anymore....he is probably the MVP of the east conference...maybe...(LeBron is still the King).

b.) Philly shoots threes a lot better than Milwaukee and they have a better half court offense.

c.) We need to keep a lid on JJ Redick the best we can...if he gets going...and Bellini/Saric/Covington start pouring it in from downtown...we're screwed, IMO.

d.) Horford/Baynes can keep Embiid from having MONSTER games at least....just limiting Embiid to 20/10 would be an achievement....

e.) Not sure how we will defend Simmons though...the kid is 6'10"!!!! I am thinking a little team effort there...

f.) Brown being out hurts us a lot....I think this means we open with a starting line up of: Baynes, Horford, Tatum, Rozier, and Smart. With Monroe/Larkin/Ojeleye/Morris all getting more minutes...maybe we see Nader too...

g.) I don't feel good about the first 3 games of this series...I feel that we need a few games to figure out what to do about Philly like we did against Milwaukee (we allowed zero transition baskets in game 7 and found that Ojeleye was the best match up for Antetokounmpo...for a few examples). The more games we win in the early going...the longer this series goes. I can see us bouncing out in 5 games...but can see us squeaking by in 7..... I just want to see how far we can make it without Kyrie and Gordon.
Looks like BSPN treats all our teams like the Pats:

ESPN Giving Celtics Virtually No Shot Against 76ers In Second-Round Series

I think Captain Stone might possibly owe Terry Rozier and Danny Ainge an apology.

29 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists.

this is great experience for our young guys. can you imagine when we get Irving and Hayward back...with rosier and maybe Brown coming off the bench. wow

this is great experience for our young guys. can you imagine when we get Irving and Hayward back...with rosier and maybe Brown coming off the bench. wow
they will be the best team in the conference. unless ladick goes to Philly. then its a toss up. hopefully, he goes to a team in the western conference.

this is great experience for our young guys. can you imagine when we get Irving and Hayward back...with Rozier and maybe Brown coming off the bench. wow

Coming into this season, I considered both Smart and Rozier as liabilities. Smart with his putrid field goal % and Rozier's with his lack of NBA athleticism.
Today....I view both as indispensable.... as foundation pieces.

Smart.....As the regular season wound down, The C's were struggling as a team as the injury bug continued to decimate their once star roster. And with Smart in street clothes, the team lacked confidence and fight. Enter Marcus......the team dynamic INSTANTLY changed and his try-hard effort has become contagious. He is their emotional leader. Smart is a player the C's cannot let slip away in free agency. Ownership needs to cut a big check for Smart and to the league for exceeding the cap in order to retain Smart. I see this happening.

Rozier....his emergence forces to me to look beyond 2017-18, past 2018-19, and into the C's long term future. Both Rozier's and Irving's contracts expire after next year, though Irving has a player option for 2019-20 that he will likely pass on if healthy and able to lock in another long term deal at big money, be it with the C's or another team. Assuming Irving returns to complete health, Boston will be faced with two difficult point guard decisions a year from now after settling the Smart conundrum. There's only so many dollars to go around.
Irving...incredible scorer driving to the basket and from outside. His assist ability....nothing special. His defense, I view it as a liability. Great player but some issues. And......for me....there's something about his body language on defense that bothers me. He never appears committed on D.
Rozier.....quantum leap forward during his 3rd season.....athletically, offensively, defensively......he has seized this opportunity and thrived. The issue....a sustained track record. The dilemma....when Irving returns....Rozier's opportunities diminish.
Me....I'm thinking the C's let Irving walk after 2019 and hitch their wagon to Rozier. Going forward, Boston will have to remove talent given how the team will no doubt exceed the cap going forward. Brown and/or Tatum will replace Hayward's cap slot in a couple years...I have no doubt in my mind.
Brown is an enigma to me. Body language is beyond bizarre.....scuffs his feet when he runs. Has difficulty maintaining control of the ball. But his jumper has evolved and his explosion to the basket is legit. Right now, he doesn't seem to have full grasp of the game...but he is getting there.
Tatum is freakin legit. Love his alpha male desire to be the scorer and demoralize defenders as he throws down.
The future is the C's draft picks IMHO....Smart, Rozier, Tatum....and maybe Brown.
Irving and Hayward might just be place holders. We'll see how Hayward looks in a year.
All they need is a legit big to replace the clunky Aussie.
My greatest fear....Ainge might pull off a Kendrick Perkins type trade upsetting the apple cart all over again.

Regarding Philly....the Simmon's PG experiment is farcical. Their lack of depth is glaring....and man o man did the Fultz trade backfire exponentially. This makes me very happy.

PS....Brad is the man. And Danny is doing alright as well. His depth creation is about to make it back to the Eastern Finals........no jinx....just W's

Rozier, for the playoffs: averaging 19.1 pts, 5 rebounds, 7 assists

Captain Stone, March 31 2018: Smelltics will be lucky to escape even the first round. Without Irving, their Guards are not only the Worst of any PO team, they're the Worst in the entire Association.

Captain Stone, March 31 2018: Smelltics will be lucky to escape even the first round. Without Irving, their Guards are not only the Worst of any PO team, they're the Worst in the entire Association.
APF, March 31, 1993: This is the most insulting, disgusting thing in the history of the Patriots. They can never sink lower.

That is, until April 1, 2008, when Kraft apologized for "Spygate"

Just a soul crushing defeat for Philly. Toronto is getting its soul ripped out as well.
When you can destroy the psyche of entire metropolis....Priceless.
Lots to say about the C's effort.
With Smart on the bench, the defense never wavered...NO TIME OFF....Rozier..Big Al.
How sloppy was Philly? Coaching!!!!!!
The Brad.........just diagramming and winning with his cast of tryhards

Looking forward though I shouldn't....who covers Lebron?
I'm thinking Brown and Ojeleye take turns though I wish Brown's hammy worked. Semi has had success vs Lebron ....and his Greek Freak defense made a difference. Brad might just throw waves of defenders at him. Wish James would tire out every once in a while

Just a soul crushing defeat for Philly. Toronto is getting its soul ripped out as well.
When you can destroy the psyche of entire metropolis....Priceless.
Lots to say about the C's effort.
With Smart on the bench, the defense never wavered...NO TIME OFF....Rozier..Big Al.
How sloppy was Philly? Coaching!!!!!!
The Brad.........just diagramming and winning with his cast of tryhards

Looking forward though I shouldn't....who covers Lebron?
I'm thinking Brown and Ojeleye take turns though I wish Brown's hammy worked. Semi has had success vs Lebron ....and his Greek Freak defense made a difference. Brad might just throw waves of defenders at him. Wish James would tire out every once in a while
Would like to see us wrap this up and prepare for a very, very tough series in the ECF.

We will definitely need Brown healthy.

We will not be favored and we will not be rooted for.

LBJ will go off, at times.

But the Celts do have a chance.

No, we won't be looking ahead to anything, not until the final buzzer.

Would like to see us wrap this up and prepare for a very, very tough series in the ECF.

We will definitely need Brown healthy.

We will not be favored and we will not be rooted for.

LBJ will go off, at times.

But the Celts do have a chance.

No, we won't be looking ahead to anything, not until the final buzzer.
I did not expect this result when Irving went down. First series the "experts" (Ernie Johnson and his cast of characters)said that the Bucks would win the series. This series they did not give the Celtics a chance either. I did not have that much confidence in the Celtics but there is something about these guys. Whatever the outcome, the experience theses young guys and bench players that have been forced into important minutes will go a long way next year on a fully healthy squad. This has been an excellent stretch of basketball.

I hope Larkin is ok. looked like a dislocated shoulder if I was to guess. not his shooting arm.

I think Captain Stone might possibly owe Terry Rozier and Danny Ainge an apology.

29 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists.

Well, he couldn't have been worse than he was his first 2 seasons, so there's no way to go but up. I admit it's encouraging that he has improved this season in both volume and efficiency, especially at home of course. And he's playing better overall ball during this series than he did during the previous series vs Milwaukee, when he simply wasn't good in their road losses. Coach Brad really, Really needs to tell him to STOP chucking 3-point attempts on the road, BTW.

Would I still take PF Bobby Portis at #16 during the 2015 draft instead of Rozier (whom I would then hope to pick at #28), especially when Danny bypassed PF Julius Randle for Marcus Smart the previous year? Yep, still would...because if Danny had done the normal thing and drafted David Harris instead of James Young in 2014 (and Jamal Murray instead of Jaylen Brown in 2016), then Rozier would be superfluous here.

Disappointed in game 4. Yes, we got our split...but if Benielli took that trifecta 2-3" farther back...this is a 2-2 series and Philly coming into Boston with momentum.

We have to win tomorrow PERIOD. If not, this goes 7......

They keep promoting this series as "Celtics vs. the King"

What, is Bill Russell coming out of retirement to play for the Cavs?

Celtics looking good...Looking real good...They look great!!

Yeah lovin' it.

...What? Oh, yeah, they're playing really well too. Looks like we'll win Game 1...

Whatever It Takes...teen movie with some cute chicks, released a couple months after

"I resign as HC of the NYJ."

Some guys just had that way to get a shooter's roll...Sam Jones, JoJo & DJ come to mind

I'd say Jaylen seems to be recovering well from that hammy

("Oh, you mean the Charger? 'Cause that's got a Hemi, too...")

You know the refs will arrive wearing Cavs jerseys Tuesday night. Right?

I'm hearing almost as many excuses for the Celtics winning as I heard for the Pats in '01.

Almost.

Rest up everybody, back to work Tuesday night.

Yeah. We need to win that one. It'll be tough.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back