PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cap to rise $10-15m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Bucks

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
NFL projecting big jump in salary cap for 2017

he NFL informed teams at the league meetings Tuesday that the per-team salary cap for 2017 is projected to be between $166 million and $170 million, a person with knowledge of the presentation told USA TODAY Sports.

Looks like everyone's getting paid

The NFL is setting themselves up for a lot of hurt. With the drop in TV revenues and no consensus on why, when they rollback the salary cap it's going to be even more painful. Ultimately, I hope it haunts Goodell the most.

Don't worry op ill cut you in on a lil something when Bill pays me this offseason

NFL projecting big jump in salary cap for 2017

he NFL informed teams at the league meetings Tuesday that the per-team salary cap for 2017 is projected to be between $166 million and $170 million, a person with knowledge of the presentation told USA TODAY Sports.

Looks like everyone's getting paid

Yup. Collins will be overpaid in Cleveland. Jones will be overpaid in AZ.

Hightower will get paid here as well as Butler, Long and Bennett.

With tons of money let over. BB has been playing chess all along.

Yup. Collins will be overpaid in Cleveland. Jones will be overpaid in AZ.

Hightower will get paid here as well as Butler, Long and Bennett.

With tons of money let over. BB has been playing chess all along.

Well said. GM clowns will be tripping over each other to give average players $30M in guaranteed money while Belichick sits in office smoking a cigar.

Well said. GM clowns will be tripping over each other to give average players $30M in guaranteed money while Belichick sits in office smoking a cigar.

Some guy's will be worth it. Brutal sport and you gotta get paid no matter what. A guy like alshon jeffery will get paid. He's a good wr but i don't think he's in the julio jones or beckham category.

Some guy's will be worth it. Brutal sport and you gotta get paid no matter what. A guy like alshon jeffery will get paid. He's a good wr but i don't think he's in the julio jones or beckham category.

Did you see Beckham run that slamt to the house Sunday? God damn. Too bad its a text book case of billion dollar body and 2 cent head.

Did you see Beckham run that slamt to the house Sunday? God damn. Too bad its a text book case of billion dollar body and 2 cent head.

Yup. If the pats looked at a wr than i wouldn't mind them looking at kendall wright. I think he could fit in this offense and he wouldn't be expensive. Brady might turn him into a star. Edelman's getting up there already.

Yeah Edelmans dropping off this season. I don't think he has too much football left. he is not getting the separation he usually gets and dropping more balls than usual.

Yup. If the pats looked at a wr than i wouldn't mind them looking at kendall wright. I think he could fit in this offense and he wouldn't be expensive. Brady might turn him into a star. Edelman's getting up there already.

Mitchell is going to be a special player in this league. He's playing great, and creating seperation. He's missed a few tough catches the last few weeks (diving td attempt v jets, a couple plays on the sideline and getting feet down), but i think its evident he has slowly been gaining Brady's trust. He can't jump out of the gym, and he wont break any land speed records. But i guess he reminds me of a smaller, slightly more athletic fitzgerald (believe fitz is 6'something to mitchell's 6 flat). I hope he gets worked into the gameplan a bit more next week against a tough secondary. Hell, just let him punk those *****es in the run game. Id almost say match him up on Talib, and just run 3x first possession, let him work that prima donna over. Id wager he and butler duke it out in practice quite a bit (running game). They both play angry, and seem a natural matchup to improve both's game.

The only guys that are worth it are:

1. Good value players who went overlooked, usually not found on the first few days (guys like Chris Hogan), and

2. Actual superstars who are the #1 player at their positions, as they should set the market for their position rather than the guy who just happens to be among the only good free agents available at a given position. Even the superstars carry huge risk, though, in changing environments and losing motivation. They are also rare because they usually are franchised and extended.

The great majority of teams are not targeting these players but rather are trying to build by giving decent players top money.

The NFL is setting themselves up for a lot of hurt. With the drop in TV revenues and no consensus on why, when they rollback the salary cap it's going to be even more painful. Ultimately, I hope it haunts Goodell the most.

Gotta figure they have some buffer built in that allows a bit of a drop-off before cutting salary caps.

Plus there are still positive signs for ratings. Think I read that the Midget vs Cowboy game was the highest rated week 14 game since '89. Something like 30 to 40% higher than a Pats Sunday night game week 14 last season.

All that bleach has fried his brain

Gotta figure they have some buffer built in that allows a bit of a drop-off before cutting salary caps.

Plus there are still positive signs for ratings. Think I read that the Midget vs Cowboy game was the highest rated week 14 game since '89. Something like 30 to 40% higher than a Pats Sunday night game week 14 last season.
Pats BAL had almost 13m viewers and a 9.1 to beat The Voice in a long time.

The Cap is based on a negotiated short term formula, correct? The long term revenue picture doesn't look good, so yeah, raising the cap right when they should probably be reducing it could be a problem.

The owners are probably focused on the fool's gold of London and Mexico City, and not on ESPN and the network TV ratings.

The PepsiCo-owned maker of Doritos, Cheetos, Fritos and Sun Chips, among other salty favorites, said it would not run an ad in Fox’s broadcast of Super Bowl LI in February of next year, with a spokesperson noting the gridiron classic “did not fit with our marketing plans.”

...GoDaddy stepped back from the Super Bowl last year, the first time it did so since aligning itself with the event in 2005. Toyota recently stated it would not advertise during Super Bowl LI,/QUOTE]\\

After Crashing Super Bowl, Frito-Lay Drives Away From Event

With social media and on-line advertising there are so many other more cost-effective ways with a better ROI than dropping $10m on a Super Bowl ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes