PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

CanadianPat'sFan first try at a two round Mock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianPat'sFan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Well we are 5-6 weeks away from the draft so I thought I would give it a shot and it is Saturday after all!!

1) Detroit - Eugene Monroe - Like Miami it does not matter who you QB is if he does not get the ball away. Look how well Chad P did with good protection.
2) Rams - Michael Crabtree - Paired with Avery could be great for the next four years.
3) KC - Aaron Curry - They have aweful LB's in KC right now...Vraible not included.
4) Seahawks -Jason Smith - Walter Jones has to retire at some point.
5) Browns - Brian Orakpo - The genius wishes Curry would have sliped but he will take Orakpo as consolation.
6) Bengals - Everette Brown - Continue to rebuild the defense up front.
7) Raiders - Jeremy Maclin - They need some WR help for their offense (Curry is a FA right now)
8) Jaguars - B.J. Raji - I know he is a 3-4 nose but they have no one in the middle. Could play 1 tech and take on two blockers and still make plays. Meier is old and not productive but Pair Raji with Henderson should help.
9) Green Bay - Michael Oher - Left tackle Clifton turns 33 in June. He just allowed 7.5 sacks and he's coming off of knee surgery. Tauscher, a year younger than Clifton, is a free agent who tore his ACL in December.
10) San Francisco - Matthew Stafford - I just do not see value at rush LB or OT at this point and with the new regime and how they did not go after Warner harder I think they are going QB at this point.
11) Bills - Michael Johnson - They would love Orakpo but will take Johnson who is the most athletic DE in the draft by far and is rising up draft boards.
12) Broncos - Tyson Jackson - Josh M. is going to plug the top 3-4 end in right away in hopes that he becomes the next Seymour.
13) Redskins - Andre Smith - Dan Snyder is like Al Davis in some ways and will take this kid because his O-Line is crap!
14) Saints - Malcom Jenkins - They need help in the secondary no matter where Jenkins ends up.
15) Texans - Chris Wells - I just could not pick then another D-Line in the first. I think the power running game will compliment Slaton and open up Johnson down field.
16) Chargers - Eben Britton - Plug him in at RT right away as Jeromey Clary is not the answer.
17 ) Jets - Knowshon Moreno - Jones is over 30 and in the last year of his contract. Ryan is going to run the ball without a good QB and play good defense in that wind tunnel of a stadium. QB is a posiblility but I think they will look elsewhere for one.
18) Bears - Trade down to #20 with Detroit who takes Mark Sanchez - They go OT with #1 (safe)then QB here before TB grabs him to start the post Millen era.
19) Tampa Bay - Josh Freeman - Whether or not the Buccaneers spend the No. 19 selection on Josh Freeman depends on how much they like Josh Johnson.
20) Bears - William Beatty - I think the Bears are going to grab him as OT is a immidiate need for them. Damn I reallly wanted this guy but 8 OT went in the first last year.
21) Eagles - Darrius Heyward-Bey - McNabb finally gets is WR in the first and they need to replace Lewis:D:D
22) Vikings - Vonte Davis - The Vikings get a good corner at #22 in the draft which fills a need for them.

#23 New England - Larry English - I really think this guy can take Vraible spot right away day one. After the great scouting report from Jays52 (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/223317-accentuate-positive-page3.html) I truly believe he will impact our defense in 2009.

24) Atlanta - Brandon Pettigrew - Most complete TE in the draft with a likeness to Jason Witten. Ryan will welcome this addition and they will go defense after this pick.
25) Miami - Darius Butler - The Dolphins ranked 25th in pass defense last season. The could go Rush LB but I think they will take the best corner avalible.
26) Ravens - Rey Malaulga - Lewis will have an impact on this kid and mold him to take over the defense as defense will still rule in Baltimore. They may go WR in round two at #57 or FA like Curry.
27) Colts - Peria Jerry - The must take the best DT on the board.
28) Eagles - Max Unger- The need a upgrade at O-Line on that team as they have so many long in the tooth.
29) Giants - Brian Cushing - They signed Boley but they need another young LB in the corps.
30) Titans - Hakeem Nicks - Tory Holt may go there but as of right now WR is a huge need and I wanted Hicks for NE so this piss## me off.
31) Cardinals - Clay Matthews - has great upside and they need to address that defense.
32) Steelers - Sean Smith - 6-4, 214 and they have had good luck with tall corners in the past.....Mel Blount!!

Round 2 --------------------------

33) Detroit - James Laurinaitis - 3 picks in the first 33 now that is nice. The will take the best defensive player to build thier defense.

#34 - New England - Robert Ayers - MayoClinic is really starting to sell me on this guy as a SILB. I do know that he is shooting up many draft boards and mock's. I have just watched some hi-lights of this guy but I am searching for more tape. I am going out on a limb right now but hope to have a better understanding of his game soon.

35) Rams - Jamon Meredith - Best OT left on the board which needs to be adressed as mush as WR.
36) Browns - Percy Harvin - Remember some people call him a genius ;)
37) Seahawks - DJ Moore - corner is a need as much as DT it was just a matter of value here.
38) Bengals - Arron Maybin - great value for Marvin Lewis to mold into a great rusher as he is so young.
39) Jacksonville - Kenny Britt - he has great value here plus fills a need.
40) Oakland - Ron Brace - I really think that this will fill a need on defense right away and I did not see value at OT here.
41) Packers - Clint Sintim - willk grab an experience 3-4 LB who should have gone in the first round.
42) Bills - Jared Cook - TE is a need for them so I seem then looking hard at Cook to take some balls away from TO....or that is the way he will look at it:D
43) San Francisco - Alphonso Smith - The take the best CB left to get younger and much faster at the position.
44) Miami - Connor Barwin - Parcells gets a great player just before us. BOR will be throwing something for not trading up.
45)Giants - Brian Robiskie - Giants get there reliable WR....still going to wait on the other young ones and of course Burris;)
46) Texans - Alex Mack - They need help on the inside of that O-Line

# 47 Louis Dalmus - I think this kid will push right away for playing time and he has game changing ablity. His work at the senior bowl made up my mind as the guy who BB would love to use in his secondary. I really hope he falls to us here at #47

48) Broncos - Jonathan Luigs - They grab their center of the future.
49) Bears - William Moore - with Brown gone they need help at the safety position.
50) Browns - LeSean McCoy - Jamal Lewis is not the answer and he has been very productive at Pitt. Weight in under 200lbs at the combine but has put one some weight since.
51) Cowboy's - Juaquin Iglesias - the need at least one good WR to throw to.
52) Eagles - Donald Brown - Great value here and fills a need with Buckhalter gone.
53) Jets - Pat White - It is too bad he did not do any WR at his pro day.
54) Vikings - Andre Caldwell - With Matt Birk moving to Balitimore they need to find their man at center.
55) Falcons - Patrick Chung - The need an upgrade over Lawyer Milloy as we did way back in the day:D:D
56) Miami - Louis Murphy - Big fast reciever to add to a weak WR core.
57) Baltimore Ravens - Phill Loadholt - Exit Anderson and enter Loadholt at RT

#58 New England - Jaron Gilbert - They get thier 3-4 end in a good spot in the draft. Eric Wood and Ziggy Hood I considered here but the more I read on Gilbert the more I am liking him for us. I think that with Seymour's situation up in the air we need to address the position now.

59) Panthers - Victor Harris - With Lucas gone they get a productive replacement right away....if he can run a little faster.
60) Giants - Rashad Johnson - The Giants will pair these two to run the backend of their defense for years.
61) Colts - Derrick Williams - Peyton will bring out the best in this guy as he does with all of his WR.
62) Titans - Ziggy Hood - Great value here and he is quick like Haynesworth but not his size.
63) Cardinals - Paul Kruger - another great value who can come in to get presure on the QB.
64) Steelers - Eric Wood - Comes in right away to compete for playing time and improves them in a place where they need it.

Well that is it my first one this year. I do know if I was in left field at times but I think as of right now this is how it will lay out....Just noticed Peterson just went to Detroit but I was not going to redo all this work so we will pretend I have not heard yet;)

Last edited:
Staff going #10? No way

Really nice job. You obviously put a lot of thought and work into it and should be complimented.

I love Ayers at 34 and Delmus at 47 for the Pats. I would personally take Barwin over English at 23 as our 3-4 OLB. I like Jarron Gilbert a lot, but I'm not sure with the Mike Wright resigning that I see us taking a DE on the 1st day.

I was sorry to miss out on William Beatty. I know Chicago has OL needs, but Chris Williams and William Beatty are both really pure LT guys, and I'm not sure it makes sense for them to take Beatty after taking Williams a year ago. I could see them going for Andre Smith (though I agree with you on Washington taking him at #13) or Eben Britton more than Beatty, but obviously that wasn't an option as your draft played out.

Ideally I would have liked to have Beatty fall to us at 23, then Ayers at 34, trade up with #89 and 58 to get Barwin at 43, and Delmus at 47. But you're draft is quite plausible, and we could end up with far worse. Again, nice job.

I love Larry English he is the player next to Clint Sintim that I would like to see the Pats take as a linebacker.

Really nice job. You obviously put a lot of thought and work into it and should be complimented.

I love Ayers at 34 and Delmus at 47 for the Pats. I would personally take Barwin over English at 23 as our 3-4 OLB. I like Jarron Gilbert a lot, but I'm not sure with the Mike Wright resigning that I see us taking a DE on the 1st day.

I was sorry to miss out on William Beatty. I know Chicago has OL needs, but Chris Williams and William Beatty are both really pure LT guys, and I'm not sure it makes sense for them to take Beatty after taking Williams a year ago. I could see them going for Andre Smith (though I agree with you on Washington taking him at #13) or Eben Britton more than Beatty, but obviously that wasn't an option as your draft played out.

Ideally I would have liked to have Beatty fall to us at 23, then Ayers at 34, trade up with #89 and 58 to get Barwin at 43, and Delmus at 47. But you're draft is quite plausible, and we could end up with far worse. Again, nice job.

Mayo, Interesting. You see Ayers as a ILB? Any links to that or just an idea (I like it)?
DW Toys

Well we are 5-6 weeks away from the draft so I thought I would give it a shot and it is Saturday after all!!

1) Detroit - Eugene Monroe - Like Miami it does not matter who you QB is if he does not get the ball away. Look how well Chad P did with good protection.
2) Rams - Michael Crabtree - Paired with Avery could be great for the next four years.
3) KC - Aaron Curry - They have aweful LB's in KC right now...Vraible not included.
4) Seahawks -Jason Smith - Walter Jones has to retire at some point.
5) Browns - Brian Orakpo - The genius wishes Curry would have sliped but he will take Orakpo as consolation.
6) Bengals - Everette Brown - Continue to rebuild the defense up front.
7) Raiders - Jeremy Maclin - They need some WR help for their offense (Curry is a FA right now)
8) Jaguars - B.J. Raji - I know he is a 3-4 nose but they have no one in the middle. Could play 1 tech and take on two blockers and still make plays. Meier is old and not productive but Pair Raji with Henderson should help.
9) Green Bay - Michael Oher - Left tackle Clifton turns 33 in June. He just allowed 7.5 sacks and he's coming off of knee surgery. Tauscher, a year younger than Clifton, is a free agent who tore his ACL in December.
10) San Francisco - Matthew Stafford - I just do not see value at rush LB or OT at this point and with the new regime and how they did not go after Warner harder I think they are going QB at this point.
11) Bills - Michael Johnson - They would love Orakpo but will take Johnson who is the most athletic DE in the draft by far and is rising up draft boards.
12) Broncos - Tyson Jackson - Josh M. is going to plug the top 3-4 end in right away in hopes that he becomes the next Seymour.
13) Redskins - Andre Smith - Dan Snyder is like Al Davis in some ways and will take this kid because his O-Line is crap!
14) Saints - Malcom Jenkins - They need help in the secondary no matter where Jenkins ends up.
15) Texans - Chris Wells - I just could not pick then another D-Line in the first. I think the power running game will compliment Slaton and open up Johnson down field.
16) Chargers - Eben Britton - Plug him in at RT right away as Jeromey Clary is not the answer.
17 ) Jets - Knowshon Moreno - Jones is over 30 and in the last year of his contract. Ryan is going to run the ball without a good QB and play good defense in that wind tunnel of a stadium. QB is a posiblility but I think they will look elsewhere for one.
18) Bears - Trade down to #20 with Detroit who takes Mark Sanchez - They go OT with #1 (safe)then QB here before TB grabs him to start the post Millen era.
19) Tampa Bay - Josh Freeman - Whether or not the Buccaneers spend the No. 19 selection on Josh Freeman depends on how much they like Josh Johnson.
20) Bears - William Beatty - I think the Bears are going to grab him as OT is a immidiate need for them. Damn I reallly wanted this guy but 8 OT went in the first last year.
21) Eagles - Darrius Heyward-Bey - McNabb finally gets is WR in the first and they need to replace Lewis:D:D
22) Vikings - Vonte Davis - The Vikings get a good corner at #22 in the draft which fills a need for them.

#23 New England - Larry English - I really think this guy can take Vraible spot right away day one. After the great scouting report from Jays52 (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/223317-accentuate-positive-page3.html) I truly believe he will impact our defense in 2009.

24) Atlanta - Brandon Pettigrew - Most complete TE in the draft with a likeness to Jason Witten. Ryan will welcome this addition and they will go defense after this pick.
25) Miami - Darius Butler - The Dolphins ranked 25th in pass defense last season. The could go Rush LB but I think they will take the best corner avalible.
26) Ravens - Rey Malaulga - Lewis will have an impact on this kid and mold him to take over the defense as defense will still rule in Baltimore. They may go WR in round two at #57 or FA like Curry.
27) Colts - Peria Jerry - The must take the best DT on the board.
28) Eagles - Max Unger- The need a upgrade at O-Line on that team as they have so many long in the tooth.
29) Giants - Brian Cushing - They signed Boley but they need another young LB in the corps.
30) Titans - Hakeem Nicks - Tory Holt may go there but as of right now WR is a huge need and I wanted Hicks for NE so this piss## me off.
31) Cardinals - Clay Matthews - has great upside and they need to address that defense.
32) Steelers - Sean Smith - 6-4, 214 and they have had good luck with tall corners in the past.....Mel Blount!!

Round 2 --------------------------

33) Detroit - James Laurinaitis - 3 picks in the first 33 now that is nice. The will take the best defensive player to build thier defense.

#34 - New England - Robert Ayers - MayoClinic is really starting to sell me on this guy as a SILB. I do know that he is shooting up many draft boards and mock's. I have just watched some hi-lights of this guy but I am searching for more tape. I am going out on a limb right now but hope to have a better understanding of his game soon.

35) Rams - Jamon Meredith - Best OT left on the board which needs to be adressed as mush as WR.
36) Browns - Percy Harvin - Remember some people call him a genius ;)
37) Seahawks - DJ Moore - corner is a need as much as DT it was just a matter of value here.
38) Bengals - Arron Maybin - great value for Marvin Lewis to mold into a great rusher as he is so young.
39) Jacksonville - Kenny Britt - he has great value here plus fills a need.
40) Oakland - Ron Brace - I really think that this will fill a need on defense right away and I did not see value at OT here.
41) Packers - Clint Sintim - willk grab an experience 3-4 LB who should have gone in the first round.
42) Bills - Jared Cook - TE is a need for them so I seem then looking hard at Cook to take some balls away from TO....or that is the way he will look at it:D
43) San Francisco - Alphonso Smith - The take the best CB left to get younger and much faster at the position.
44) Miami - Connor Barwin - Parcells gets a great player just before us. BOR will be throwing something for not trading up.
45)Giants - Brian Robiskie - Giants get there reliable WR....still going to wait on the other young ones and of course Burris;)
46) Texans - Alex Mack - They need help on the inside of that O-Line

# 47 Louis Dalmus - I think this kid will push right away for playing time and he has game changing ablity. His work at the senior bowl made up my mind as the guy who BB would love to use in his secondary. I really hope he falls to us here at #47

48) Broncos - Jonathan Luigs - They grab their center of the future.
49) Bears - William Moore - with Brown gone they need help at the safety position.
50) Browns - LeSean McCoy - Jamal Lewis is not the answer and he has been very productive at Pitt. Weight in under 200lbs at the combine but has put one some weight since.
51) Cowboy's - Juaquin Iglesias - the need at least one good WR to throw to.
52) Eagles - Donald Brown - Great value here and fills a need with Buckhalter gone.
53) Jets - Pat White - It is too bad he did not do any WR at his pro day.
54) Vikings - Andre Caldwell - With Matt Birk moving to Balitimore they need to find their man at center.
55) Falcons - Patrick Chung - The need an upgrade over Lawyer Milloy as we did way back in the day:D:D
56) Miami - Louis Murphy - Big fast reciever to add to a weak WR core.
57) Baltimore Ravens - Phill Loadholt - Exit Anderson and enter Loadholt at RT

#58 New England - Jaron Gilbert - They get thier 3-4 end in a good spot in the draft. Eric Wood and Ziggy Hood I considered here but the more I read on Gilbert the more I am liking him for us. I think that with Seymour's situation up in the air we need to address the position now.

59) Panthers - Victor Harris - With Lucas gone they get a productive replacement right away....if he can run a little faster.
60) Giants - Rashad Johnson - The Giants will pair these two to run the backend of their defense for years.
61) Colts - Derrick Williams - Peyton will bring out the best in this guy as he does with all of his WR.
62) Titans - Ziggy Hood - Great value here and he is quick like Haynesworth but not his size.
63) Cardinals - Paul Kruger - another great value who can come in to get presure on the QB.
64) Steelers - Eric Wood - Comes in right away to compete for playing time and improves them in a place where they need it.

Well that is it my first one this year. I do know if I was in left field at times but I think as of right now this is how it will lay out....Just noticed Peterson just went to Detroit but I was not going to redo all this work so we will pretend I have not heard yet;)

Very hard work and good job. I think #10 for Stafford is possible. Mayock kind of got it right with his comments about the kid. He is not Ryan or Flacco.
DW Toys

i think the jets make a play for sanchez

Mayo, Interesting. You see Ayers as a ILB? Any links to that or just an idea (I like it)?
DW Toys

It's an idea I've floated around ever since the Senior Bowl. There's a thread on it that I started about a month ago:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/214681-robert-ayers.html

It's mostly just an idea, but Ayers played ILB in high school and Tennessee has moved him around quite a bit this year, including playing both DT and ILB in addition to DE.

What I see in Ayers is someone who is very physical and adept at taking on blockers, with excellent lateral movement and good agility for someone his size. His 3-cone shuttle at the Tennessee pro day was 6.91, not far off Connor Barwin's combine time of 6.87 or Clay Matthews' 6.90. He has good hands and has some experience playing in space, with good hips and flexibility. His experience at DT makes him very comfortable taking on offensive lineman. He uses his hands well and has a variety of moves, not relying on either pure speed or strength.

In short, he reminds me a lot of Adalius Thomas without as much pure speed. I don't know whether the Pats (or anyone else) is looking at him as a potential SILB, but he clearly has good versatility and 3-4 LB has been discussed as an option for him.

One of the best mocks I've seen yet. Appreciate the effort.

Nice independent thinking here. Not sure that I agree with some of the picks, but it's nice to see something other than a copy-and-paste job from another site.

Very interesting mock....

but Pat White at #53?? You're a Florio disciple, aren't you? ;)

Agreed on all the compliments. I can argue with any given pick, but not because they're "bad," just because I like to argue. :)

Thanks for all the great comments....I was getting worried last night at work then I came home an the power was out. I had to wait until now to see the reaction but I am very pleased. I have about 10-15 pages with names scribbled down and pros and cons next to each prospect's names. I really thought it was time to put my first mock together or my girl was going to throw all the papers away as they are strung out all over the place:D:D. (Just imagine BB's house).

With the signing of Wright I think that at #58 I would go Eric Wood but somehow the Wright signing I did not see I thought KC or Denver were going to make a play for him but I am sure glad he is staying.

I think it is time to start a new pile of papers (more with Ayers) and I will give this a try again right before the draft to see how much I have changed things.

Again thanks for the positive comments:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back