PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we talk WR for a bit?

It is funny that no one is talking Ebert....

It isn't funny whatsoever. We already have 2 injury-prone, white guy slot receivers; Ebert is
the living definition of useless redundancy.
He is not even one microgram more than a mere TC tackling dummy for our DBs.

As soon as the first round of cuts are due (if he doesn't hurt himself before then), he will be
dismissed, to be remembered as just another wasted draft pick.

If we can land Sanders from Pittsburgh, a brilliant Belichick move BTW, that will do a couple of things.

First, he's the best no. 3 receiver in the NFL. He's ready to break out. Big time.

He'll look awesome in a Patriots jersey. We'll find out Sunday night. I'm waiting with bated breath.

Second, if Pittsburgh lets him go, they'll be focused like Homer Simpson on donuts on WRs, even starting in the first round.

That could mean a defensive player could fall to us.

We have a big need at DE and CB. I don't think Talib will be here more than year.

I am really hoping Dowling comes back. Word is he's working like Rocky in Foxboro, determined to prove his critics wrong. Being called Glass IR will do that to a proud young man.

If we can land Sanders from Pittsburgh, a brilliant Belichick move BTW, that will do a couple of things.

First, he's the best no. 3 receiver in the NFL. He's ready to break out. Big time.

He'll look awesome in a Patriots jersey. We'll find out Sunday night. I'm waiting with bated breath.

Second, if Pittsburgh lets him go, they'll be focused like Homer Simpson on donuts on WRs, even starting in the first round.

That could mean a defensive player could fall to us.

We have a big need at DE and CB. I don't think Talib will be here more than year.

I am really hoping Dowling comes back. Word is he's working like Rocky in Foxboro, determined to prove his critics wrong. Being called Glass IR will do that to a proud young man.

I really don't think that Dowling is going to make it out of training camp.

I'm afraid what you say has a lot going for it.

Past is prologue.

I'm afraid what you say has a lot going for it.

Past is prologue.

The past can, a lot of times, be indication of future performance. For example, can you name the last player on the Pats in the BB era that was IR'ed their first season (to include the second could border on being a loaded question) as a pro and went on to come back and be a productive player in their career with the team?

Hmm. Without googling, I know the guard, the wrestler from Bakersfield, Calif., was inactive for a long time--while they taught him to put on pads, form a stance, etc.

Stephen Neal.

I'm sticking with it.

Hmm. Without googling, I know the guard, the wrestler from Bakersfield, Calif., was inactive for a long time--while they taught him to put on pads, form a stance, etc.

Stephen Neal.

I'm sticking with it.

Believe me, I'm hopeful Dowling can contribute as well, but that's complete apples and oranges right there.

If we do get Sanders, I'd still make drafting a WR a priority. The only change I'd make would to be to make drafting one in the 1st not so necessary. My targets are-

1st- Allen, Hunter
2nd/3rd- Woods, Dobson, Williams, Patton, Wheaton.

If we do get Sanders, I'd still make drafting a WR a priority. The only change I'd make would to be to make drafting one in the 1st not so necessary. My targets are-

1st- Allen, Hunter
2nd/3rd- Woods, Dobson, Williams, Patton.

Ooooo you didn't mention the much loved Markus Wheaton, the draft gang will be on you soon....

I'm afraid you shouldn't bother. Because one of my own favourite prospects, Leon McFadden plays for SDSU, I watched a fair bit of them this year and having learnt that Butler was a USC transfer, I focused on Butler a bit. Suffice to say, he was pretty terrible - I discounted him by the end of the first quarter I saw him; v bad hands if I remember. 96th best WR sounds about right.

That's interesting to hear, but I wouldn't be looking at him as a WR anyway - a switch to corner would be ideal with his measurables.

Butler's 6'3", has 34 1/2 inch arms, 4.37-4.41 in the 40 yard dash, 39" vertical and most importantly of all, 6.70 3 cone drill.

The three cone drill is a great indicator of fluidity for a cornerback, and 6.70 is a very good time. Wes Bunting wrote a very good article on it back in 2009.

The following players are handy benchmarks :)
Darrelle Revis - 6.56
Devin McCourty - 6.70
Aqib Talib - 6.82

Looking at this year's cornerback crop:
Dee Milliner - 6.95
Xavier Rhodes - 7.29
Desmond Trufant - 6.67
Jamar Taylor - 6.82
Tyrann Mathieu - 6.87

(sorry for taking things off-topic!)

Ooooo you didn't mention the much loved Markus Wheaton, the draft gang will be on you soon....

Actually I missed him. Forgot to put him on the list.

That's interesting to hear, but I wouldn't be looking at him as a WR anyway - a switch to corner would be ideal with his measurables.

Butler's 6'3", has 34 1/2 inch arms, 4.37-4.41 in the 40 yard dash, 39" vertical and most importantly of all, 6.70 3 cone drill.

The three cone drill is a great indicator of fluidity for a cornerback, and 6.70 is a very good time. Wes Bunting wrote a very good article on it back in 2009.

The following players are handy benchmarks :)
Darrelle Revis - 6.56
Devin McCourty - 6.70
Aqib Talib - 6.82

Looking at this year's cornerback crop:
Dee Milliner - 6.95
Xavier Rhodes - 7.29
Desmond Trufant - 6.67
Jamar Taylor - 6.82
Tyrann Mathieu - 6.87

(sorry for taking things off-topic!)

Don't expect many interceptions with those hands :)

More seriously, that makes much more sense.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Back