PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can we get by with D-linemen we have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frick

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
We have so many holes to fill, we can't come close without leaving the cupboard empty in 2013. Correct me if I'm wrong-must have OLB (preferably 2 pass rushing), FS (cover ability), CB (that isn't a charter member of Blue Cross), WR & start using Price now, because we have to. & DE (maybe 2). We all know this but what area can we wait on till 2013 ?

A 3-4 scheme is something BB likes, plus it doesn't leave us short handed in other areas, with what we have can we piece together a 3 man line? Willfork & Love NT, what about the rest?

Do you think 1 OLB & 1 DE would be a better idea?

As far as free agents, how many & to fill what spots?

My big main question is: Can we put together a 3 man defensive line with what we have?

We have so many holes to fill, we can't come close without leaving the cupboard empty in 2013. Correct me if I'm wrong-must have OLB (preferably 2 pass rushing), FS (cover ability), CB (that isn't a charter member of Blue Cross), WR & start using Price now, because we have to. & DE (maybe 2). We all know this but what area can we wait on till 2013 ?

A 3-4 scheme is something BB likes, plus it doesn't leave us short handed in other areas, with what we have can we piece together a 3 man line? Willfork & Love NT, what about the rest?

Do you think 1 OLB & 1 DE would be a better idea?

As far as free agents, how many & to fill what spots?

My big main question is: Can we put together a 3 man defensive line with what we have?

All we need is a FS, 34ROLB and a 34RDE.

Geat answer NINJA- does Dowling's health scare you, in case Arrington or Mc Courty get dinged up, can we count on "RIGHT AFTER SURGERY DOWLING" ?

Geat answer NINJA- does Dowling's health scare you, in case Arrington or Mc Courty get dinged up, can we count on "RIGHT AFTER SURGERY DOWLING" ?

Dowling doesn't need surgery, and he was starting over Arrington when he was healthy.

Last edited:
CB and WR could be upgraded but certainly aren't holes. FS is the biggest hole and will hopefully be adressed via FA. Assuming all holes are plugged going into the draft we'll go BPA although I'm pulling for front 7 players.

Why a 3 man front? The Patriots play more 4-3 these days.

The really sold out this year by bringing in all the vets.

Warren, Haynesworth, Ellis, Wilfork, Carter, Wright will all be 30 or older at the start of 2012.

Wilfork is in his prime, not much of an issue and Love has shown some spark. That leaves Deadrick, Brace, Pryor as the future.

I would put every positional unit on the defense in the category of "upgrade needed". It is going to take a lot to move any of the units into the "very good" classification.

Honestly they are really rebuilding again next year, there is just no consistent base to build from.

Good thoughts all. Sorry about confusion over surgery, it was a nickname I gave him because of his HS & College injury history. When I scouted Canon I saw his weight & nicknamed him the Tub of goo from TCU, that was before hearing about cancer.

Hope that clears that up SCIZ.

AY-YO- I kind of like that FS from ALA., Lester.

What free agents have you guys got on your radar?

CSTJOHN17- I believe it was Reiss & Bruschi that said BB. is much more comfortable in a 3-4. And I believe BB. said the four man front was easier for these guys to pickup in the short time they had to prepare. Sorry can't pull up exact quotes.

Agree with you about upgrade comment. Don't you hope we can get 1 or 2 decent FAs to fill in roster.

Overall sadly you are on the money,good observations.

CSTJOHN17- I believe it was Reiss & Bruschi that said BB. is much more comfortable in a 3-4. And I believe BB. said the four man front was easier for these guys to pickup in the short time they had to prepare. Sorry can't pull up exact quotes.

Agree with you about upgrade comment. Don't you hope we can get 1 or 2 decent FAs to fill in roster.

Overall sadly you are on the money,good observations.

No problemo, the fact that I am right means that I am 100% wrong and Patriots are fine. My track record is like some sort of reverse bizarro machine, in most cases the exact opposite occurs.

I still see 12-4 and then lightning in a bottle to get to the SB.

I havent seen that much of Brace but cant wait to see him this year. Deadrick I´ve seen some and not sure he´s elite talent but lets see them play this year and evaluate.

Still praying Albert gets in shape, lets go Albert, we need ya now.

I would put every positional unit on the defense in the category of "upgrade needed". It is going to take a lot to move any of the units into the "very good" classification.

Honestly they are really rebuilding again next year, there is just no consistent base to build from.

I'd say Wilfork and Mayo are the base we build around. McCourty looked to be in that category last year (safety play is part of the problem imo) and at worst you pencil him in as a solid starter. Chung is another solid starter. While a lot of work remains we at least have a foundation.

I agree every unit could be upgraded which is why i think we go best defensive player early and often next year.

Last edited:
This defense is in desperate need of players with talent, speed, instincts & nastiness (but with discipline).

Even if Bill reverts to a 3-4 next year, we still need Linemen who are much more than GWarren, Brace & Deaderick tubs of goo; we need the next generation of $eymour & Ty Warren.

And needless to say, Ninko & Guyton are not anybody's idea of starting-caliber LBs on a team with championship aspirations. Passing on Cliff Avril & Connor Barwin in favor of Chicken Legs Crable & the aforementioned tub of goo Brace was inexcusably ******ed.

And the shocking lack of talent in the secondary has been discussed many times already.
It's one thing to release under-performers like Stomper, Sanders, Bodden, Butler & Wilhite;
it's another thing entirely not to have anybody whatsoever capable or worthy of replacing them on the roster.

Other than all that, we're in great shape.

This team needs a GM who knows how to draft and sign free agents.

Like who?
Name me a GM who is currently available right now that is better than BB?

BB has Nick and Floyd Reese, a former Titans GM advising him.
Oh, if you try to say that Reese picked Vince Young, well, he did not. Reese and Fisher wanted someone else and the old senile owner, Bud Adams, overruled them.

Like who?

Oh, if you try to say that Reese picked Vince Young, well, he did not. Reese and Fisher wanted someone else and the old senile owner, Bud Adams, overruled them.

Name me any GM that will stand up to BB and put his foot down when it comes to BB's moronic habit of taking DBs early in the draft and ignoring the OLB/DE position.

1.) We need a DC. If it is Patricia then name him and hire a real safety coach.
2.) We need to draft OLB/DE pass rushers early in the draft as well as later in the next several drafts in order to develop a pipeline at this position.
3.) We need big talented DL guys. No more fat overweight injury prone veteran retreads that are more hungry for cheeseburgers than championships.

Day 1 of this draft - OLB/DE and DL.
Day 2 of this draft Another OLB/DE and Safety.
Day 3 of this draft WR, OG/C, and depth DB's.

Name me any GM that will stand up to BB and put his foot down when it comes to BB's moronic habit of taking DBs early in the draft and ignoring the OLB/DE position.

1.) We need a DC. If it is Patricia then name him and hire a real safety coach.
2.) We need to draft OLB/DE pass rushers early in the draft as well as later in the next several drafts in order to develop a pipeline at this position.
3.) We need big talented DL guys. No more fat overweight injury prone veteran retreads that are more hungry for cheeseburgers than championships.

Day 1 of this draft - OLB/DE and DL.
Day 2 of this draft Another OLB/DE and Safety.
Day 3 of this draft WR, OG/C, and depth DB's.

What's so damn moronic about taking Ras??? He got injured in a freak accident and you already call him a freaking bust???

The team was transitioning to a bigger and more physical CB's in 2010. I have no problems taking Ras.
A) they tried to trade out of that pick. They couldn't.
B) Ras was their BPA. He would have been a mid 20's 1st rounder if he wasn't injured during his senior year.
C) The team does not draft undersized, underweight LB's early. It's a waste of a pick (1st, 2nd) to select a 1 down pass rusher.

This team only needs 1 not 2 DE/OLB. Niko and JC can handle the other OLB spot.

And yes, there is no other GM I'll take over BB. Even Scott Pioli, the only GM who can draft for a 2 gap defense.

#1 - What's so damn moronic about taking Ras??? He got injured in a freak accident and you already call him a freaking bust???

#2 - This team only needs 1 not 2 DE/OLB. Niko and JC can handle the other OLB spot.

[/B]

Sorry Ninja, but you hit a nerve.

#1 - Dowling was injury prone in high school and then college and big surprise as a pro. Lots of risks with this pick and didn't address any need, DB was one of the deeper positions (although they all sucked and now we have a new group that sucks)

#2- Yes, just what a championship team needs is more Ninko and more Cunningham. It is this exact line of thinking that created one of the worst pass defenses in NFL history and left the defensive roster void of any talent or potential.

NO

This defense is in desperate need of players with talent, speed, instincts & nastiness (but with discipline).

What he said.
Watch the Ravens or now the Lions. We need MEAN players on defense and
nobody fears us but rather laughs at our defense.
God we wasted the last few drafts when he could have built it back up.

Like who?

BB runs the show, even if Floyd Reese advised him BB would most likely take who he thought was better. BB has to give the GM reins over to someone he trust and pretty much stay out. Similar to Kraft giving BB authority and not medaling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft