PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can new players get tudored by retired players? Can this work?

Salsalife

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
For me I feel a retired pro has alot of great information to pass on to new players and rookies. My dream would be to have Tyquan spend a week with Randy Moss for 1. Moss had great instincts and drills that help him as a pro. Pro's became all pro due to their training. Moss knew how to speed up and slow down, back shoulder, baiting the free safety. Etc... I also think Gronk or Coates could help Lumpkin alot. Details only Gronk possesses, technique, hand combat, deception techniques, bullying corners. Pay these guys, mentors matter!

The answer is yes.

The funniest example was when Jerry Rice approached AJ Jenkins and offered to train with him, but Jenkins actually turned down the chance to learn from the greatest WR of all time. If you're looking for a worse attitude than N'Keal Harry, look no further. The guy was quickly out of the league.

history channel river hunters GIF by HISTORY UK

;)

Made into Blue Blood?

Who needs coaches when past greats can transfer magic to the new guys

For me I feel a retired pro has alot of great information to pass on to new players and rookies. My dream would be to have Tyquan spend a week with Randy Moss for 1. Moss had great instincts and drills that help him as a pro. Pro's became all pro due to their training. Moss knew how to speed up and slow down, back shoulder, baiting the free safety. Etc... I also think Gronk or Coates could help Lumpkin alot. Details only Gronk possesses, technique, hand combat, deception techniques, bullying corners. Pay these guys, mentors matter!
This happens all the time but most retired millionaires have little interest in doing this full-time. They gave up years with their families and off their life to do we they want after football. Getting a Moss or Gronk to be a full-time coach would cost millions and you'd be taking a big chance on something that might not work.

Do you know what Aaron Judge does every 3-4 weeks? He stops whatever he's doing, wherever he's at. And goes to visit a 60 something yo guy wearing new balances you wouldn't recognize if your life was on the line.

Sometimes guys like Moss and Gronk aren't the best coaches. Ik how hard each worked but things also came incredibly easy for them. Its all pov. You have guys that see things differently. Sometimes the "no name" "last guy on the roster" is the best coaching candidate bc hes seeing the big picture, bottom up. As opposed to guys like Gronk and Moss who have been leading from the front all their life.

Sometimes it works but those big names don't usually work out as coaches for a bunch of reasons.

I hope guys like Slater, DMC and HT go into coaching but we'll see.

The answer is yes.

The funniest example was when Jerry Rice approached AJ Jenkins and offered to train with him, but Jenkins actually turned down the chance to learn from the greatest WR of all time. If you're looking for a worse attitude than N'Keal Harry, look no further. The guy was quickly out of the league.
What's even funnier is that many successful nfl players,not just wrs but rbs,dbs,etc were lobbying Rice hard to let them work out with him in the offseason.
His offseason workouts in the SF hills were legendary.

Tudoring def. : during Tudor period in British history it was the act of people in big cities like London,throwing their garbage and excrement out their windows,without regard for who was walking below. This was before sewer systems existed.
Ex. " I am tudoring on the OP's grasp of the English language"

Wasn't there a Randy Moss Academy? I remember people training under him for a bit.

Side note - I'll bet Andre Johnson was a HUGE help for DeAndre Hopkins during the latter's early years, but AJ wasn't quite retired yet.

Your right about Jerry Rice. His #1 rule;
1. Jerry Rice to draftees: Find a mentor

Jerry Rice was drafted in the first round of the 1985 draft. He did something almost immediately after joining the 49ers.

"I watched certain teammates to see how they approached the game," he said. "And we had so many guys that were great professionals."

The answer is yes.

I looked this up but all I saw was some guy on reddit claim this + some guy on a sports forum say that Rice never bothered following up because Jenkins showed up to training camp out of shape.

Not that it really matters, but FYI.

Your right about Jerry Rice. His #1 rule;
1. Jerry Rice to draftees: Find a mentor

Jerry Rice was drafted in the first round of the 1985 draft. He did something almost immediately after joining the 49ers.

"I watched certain teammates to see how they approached the game," he said. "And we had so many guys that were great professionals."
Every time I see a reference to Jerry Rice being drafted in the first round, I remember that it was with New England's pick that had been traded to the Niners. If Rice had joined the Patriots, he would have been paired with Stanley Morgan, creating arguably the greatest wide receiver duo in NFL history.

This happens all the time but most retired millionaires have little interest in doing this full-time. They gave up years with their families and off their life to do we they want after football. Getting a Moss or Gronk to be a full-time coach would cost millions and you'd be taking a big chance on something that might not work.

Do you know what Aaron Judge does every 3-4 weeks? He stops whatever he's doing, wherever he's at. And goes to visit a 60 something yo guy wearing new balances you wouldn't recognize if your life was on the line.

Sometimes guys like Moss and Gronk aren't the best coaches. Ik how hard each worked but things also came incredibly easy for them. Its all pov. You have guys that see things differently. Sometimes the "no name" "last guy on the roster" is the best coaching candidate bc hes seeing the big picture, bottom up. As opposed to guys like Gronk and Moss who have been leading from the front all their life.

Sometimes it works but those big names don't usually work out as coaches for a bunch of reasons.

I think Hightower in particular would be a tremendous coach, talk about knowing where to be and when to be there. He’s in my personal top 10 favorite Pats so I’m biased.

I looked this up but all I saw was some guy on reddit claim this + some guy on a sports forum say that Rice never bothered following up because Jenkins showed up to training camp out of shape.

Not that it really matters, but FYI.
Since he was so irrelevant, the story seems to have disappeared, but you'll find people saying he rejected Jerry Rice.

This is really the only thing I could find, but I remember him getting grilled by reporters and told them something like he's going to train his own way:

"Jerry Rice has always offered his training services for whoever would listen. When the 49ers drafted A.J. Jenkins in 2012, Rice offered to take Jenkins under his wing and hit up the hill. Whether Jenkins responded or not is up for debate."

"Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com reports that Jenkins showed up out of shape to the first day of the 49ers’ minicamp today. Maiocco calls it “easy to see” and says that 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh noticed."

"The next ding against him came in the form of a missed opportunity when Jenkins said of Hall of Fame receiver Jerry Rice's run-the-hill offer (Tim Kawakami @timkawakami) May 11, 2012), "

"Although he showed interest, Jenkins squandered the chance to get some one-on-one time with the NFL’s all-time leading receiver (via Grant Cohn of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat)."

bleacherreport.com/articles/1627968-digging-into-the-aj-jenkins-quandary-in-san-francisco

This. There's a reason why very few players actually become any level of a coach. It's a totally different skill set.

I think Hightower in particular would be a tremendous coach, talk about knowing where to be and when to be there. He’s in my personal top 10 favorite Pats so I’m biased.
I'm a huge HT fan. Top 5-10 all-time LB for me. Unique body type, animal instincts and a tough mf that made play after play. I think Patrick Willis is my LB1 and HT isn't far behind him and Bowman.

What's even funnier is that many successful nfl players,not just wrs but rbs,dbs,etc were lobbying Rice hard to let them work out with him in the offseason.
His offseason workouts in the SF hills were legendary.
Did everyone get samples of his stickum? ;)

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back