PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can anyone tell me how the NFL ruled in dealing with the aftermath of the Bills-Bengals game?

oldrover

"You're gonna have to serve somebody..."
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Bills and Chiefs would play against each other on a neutral field... what about Cincy?

And also... I'm no rocket scientist...

1673129723982.gif

;)

I googled the hell out of this and here is what I think I know. :rofl:

Game was cancelled. KC win so they are the first seed. If Buffalo wins they are the two and Cincy is the 3. If Cincy wins and Buffalo loses it's vice versa.

If Cincy loses to the Ravens they still win the division and are the 3 seed. A coin flip will take place to see if their WC round game (assuming they match up that way) will be played in Cincy or Baltimore.

It is my understanding that if the Bills and Bengals meet in the playoffs it will be played at a neutral site picked by Goodell.

I could be off on something but that is what I understood from reading multiple articles.

Ok so they just stated if the Bills and Chiefs meet in the AFCCG it will be at a neutral site. I thought it was Buffalo and Cincy

Last edited:
So, KC was given the #1 seed?

That game being cancelled and not to be played cost me my first Fantasy League win !!!! I needed 15 points from Burrow and Jamaar Chase so on a funny side ,,, that will always remain in my memory. Good to hear that Hamlin is recovering.

Small cities like Cincy have businesses that could really benefit from a home game…especially a home playoff game. The NFL really screwed them.
Assuming Pats miss the playoffs, I will be rooting for the Bengals.

The city of Buffalo got shafted.

The AFC Championship would have been there and KC would have lost. The ticket brokers win because AFC Championship tickets at a nuetral venue will be selling for a kings ransom. Both the Chiefs and Bills fanbases will travel in numbers creating a sellers market.

The negative aspect: Before the cancellation, CIN could theoretically earn itself the one seed and home field advantage throughout the playoffs, presuming they had beaten BUF, which of course CIN presumes they would have done (!). Now they are only playing for the chance for a coin flip that would determine home field, and they can lose that flip so in the end winning today's game would mean nothing.

"As far as I'm concerned, we just want the rules to be followed," Taylor said. "When a game is canceled, you just turn to winning percentage to clarify everything so we don't have to make up rules. There's several instances this season when a club is fined or people in our building are fined and we're being told, 'Follow the rules. It's black and white. It's in the rulebook.' So now when we point out the rules and you're told, we're going to change that, I don't want to hear about fair and equitable when that's the case."

Taylor didn't offer much on how a potential coin flip would work for the Bengals, but did admit "we're not good at coin flips."

"So, we have the opportunity to play for a coin flip that can only negatively impact us," Taylor said. "We don't have the opportunity to play for a coin flip that positively impacts us. Again, let's just follow the rules and we accept that. We just have to turn our focus to getting ready for Baltimore and then doing everything we can to control what we can control at that point."

Ref: Bengals coach Zac Taylor pushes back against coin-flip resolution: 'Just negatives for us'

It appears to me that the Bills got screwed by the NFL. If they win today, they have won more game against teams with winning records, and they beat the Chiefs.
Yet the NFL gives the bye to the Hunt family. I know that the Chiefs will have 1 more win, but the NFL canceled the game against the Bengals and did not reschedule it.

The Bills were not screwed. They willingly chose to forfeit. Therefore they screwed themselves.

I know this is contrary to popular opinion - and what happened was terrible... but the NFL should have forced the Bill/Bengals to resume. The game should have been played... then none of this convoluted neutral field crapola would be going on...

the NFL needs a commissioner with a set of stainless steel ...... instead we got roger

Cannot truthfully say that I care ... small things ... in game ... subtle ... to sway favorable monetary results.

But love the game ...
Just more and more like professional wrestling.
Which sorry fans of it ... totally fake.
Boxing ... NBA ... baseball strike zone ... blah ... blah ... blah.

The Bills were not screwed. They willingly chose to forfeit. Therefore they screwed themselves.
Totallt agree! What happened to "win one for the gipper" and "the show must go on"? Every time in the past a player was carted off the field with a season or carreer injury, after prayer and a respectful pause the game resumed. Hamlins first words were "who won the game?" ....."ugh, they quit. they didn't go on to win it for you." The NFL pretends to honor veterans but does not learn from them. In war they continue the mission even though their friends are dying around them. NFL is getting feminized.

The AFC Champion team will get an asterisk next to the 2022 results!

The AFC Champion team will get an asterisk next to the 2022 results!
Not really. Yesterday's results minimized the unfairness, IMO.

The Bengals-Ravens coin flip doesn't have to happen.

The disparity between being a 2 seed vs a 3 seed is minimal.

Chances are, the neutral site AFCCG scenario won't happen, just based on the rarity of a 1 vs. 2 matchup in an AFCCG.

The biggest effect was that the Bills lost the chance to get the 1 seed, but it seems that they chose to leave Cincy that night and make a resumption 24 h or 48h later impossible, and the existing bylaws established back when COVID cancellations were expected said to use wining percentages in such cases.

Not really. Yesterday's results minimized the unfairness, IMO.

The Bengals-Ravens coin flip doesn't have to happen.

The disparity between being a 2 seed vs a 3 seed is minimal.

Chances are, the neutral site AFCCG scenario won't happen, just based on the rarity of a 1 vs. 2 matchup in an AFCCG.

The biggest effect was that the Bills lost the chance to get the 1 seed, but it seems that they chose to leave Cincy that night and make a resumption 24 h or 48h later impossible, and the existing bylaws established back when COVID cancellations were expected said to use wining percentages in such cases.
They set it up knowing that would be the most likely outcome.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back