PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can anyone explain these veteran PS rules? (Folk, Hoyer, Nordin situation)

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Do these guys take up a 53 when elevated? Is Nordin on 53 to protect him? Can teams sign Hoyer (I mean they wouldn’t lol but in theory..) and Folk?

Curious if other teams are maneuvering the rules like this. I’m assuming BB and co figured out a way to maximize roster slots like this.

From what I can gather, any player no matter how long you are in the league can be placed on the practice squad and I think any player can be called up for a game and put back on the practice squad twice without being forced to keep him on the active roster or cut him or another player. But I could be wrong.

Rob is right, two free elevations from ps to game day active, then revert. Special covid rules. So after next week, if Bill does the same thing, we will likely need to decide on a kicker and also elevate Hoyer to the 53, cutting somebody else.

It also has the practical advantages of not guaranteeing annual salary for veterans Hoyer and Folk, since in week 1 they were not on the 53. It would make less sense to do it week 1 with a younger guy.

Rob is right, two free elevations from ps to game day active, then revert. Special covid rules. So after next week, if Bill does the same thing, we will likely need to decide on a kicker and also elevate Hoyer to the 53, cutting somebody else.
Or, most likely, someone will get hurt enough to warrant short term IR and that will be the spot taken. Surprised they didn’t do it already with Perry’s injury.

It also has the practical advantages of not guaranteeing annual salary for veterans Hoyer and Folk, since in week 1 they were not on the 53. It would make less sense to do it week 1 with a younger guy.
Isnt the guarantee just a technicality? They aren’t going to be cut.

Isnt the guarantee just a technicality? They aren’t going to be cut.
After Stidham comes off PUP I could see Hoyer cut. Not likely though.

I could see Folk cut if he has a bad couple of weeks and the rook sneaks through to the PS and then does well in practice. Overall unlikely too, though.

More of a legal roster expansion plan than a money saving plan.

I believe that any team can sign anyone currently on the Practice Squad include these two.

Do these guys take up a 53 when elevated? Is Nordin on 53 to protect him? Can teams sign Hoyer (I mean they wouldn’t lol but in theory..) and Folk?

Yup, Bill is trying to protect Nordin. Linkedin is trying to get him to sign up for Premium.

Yes teams can sign any (not protected) player from the PS, but they have to sign them to the 53 roster, you basically have to make room for any player you want to sign. So they have to be kind of an upgrade to what your team currently have.

The Saints, Texans, and Titans elevated their week 1 kicker from the practice squad. The Vikings elevated their backup QB from the PS and made Mond inactive.

Or, most likely, someone will get hurt enough to warrant short term IR and that will be the spot taken. Surprised they didn’t do it already with Perry’s injury.

Hasn't Perry already been placed on IR?

Hasn't Perry already been placed on IR?
Right, he has, but they haven’t replaced him yet so the roster stands at 52. So I was surprised they just didn’t choose to keep one of Hoyer or Folk on the roster at this point rather than reverting to the practice squad.

Right, he has, but they haven’t replaced him yet so the roster stands at 52. So I was surprised they just didn’t choose to keep one of Hoyer or Folk on the roster at this point rather than reverting to the practice squad.
They're saving that slot for a KR

Yes teams can sign any (not protected) player from the PS, but they have to sign them to the 53 roster, you basically have to make room for any player you want to sign. So they have to be kind of an upgrade to what your team currently have.
Do we know which players are protected?

We kinda know Hoyer is pseudo-protected: he's said he has no interest in playing elsewhere at this stage of his career.

"Protection" is a very temporary affair - lasts from Tuesday evening until the end of the next game. So mostly to stop the next opponent from playing games with players you plan to use by signing them.

Last year the Pats never protected anyone.

We kinda know Hoyer is pseudo-protected: he's said he has no interest in playing elsewhere at this stage of his career.
Patriots actually do not "protect" PS players, I guess its kind of an gentlemens agreement where BB does not want to hamper any player to get his chance on a 53 roster somewhere else

last year they were the only team to not protact any player from PS during the complete season, as far as I am aware they haven't done it this year either

"Protection" is a very temporary affair - lasts from Tuesday evening until the end of the next game. So mostly to stop the next opponent from playing games with players you plan to use by signing them.

Last year the Pats never protected anyone.
Even if players are protected on Tuesday night, they could have been signed on Tuesday before 4 PM. Protection does NOT mean that we can stash players. If someone needs a kicker, Folk can sign for them on Tuesday, whether he was "protected" or not, and whether we were going to protect him on Tuesday night.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back