PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cam Newton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As true as this may be, is it really that serious? Every team has done scumbag things before, even our beloved Patriots. So what? I'd take a young talent like that anyday. You really think he'd be at Foxboro stealing Tully's or Chungs's laptops?

.... please.
His judgement and character are SERIOUS questions. If you don't know right from wrong - or if you know it and don't care - all bets are off on what you might do.

Bump this guy. I really do hope he does well for his combine and teams fall in love with him. Ofcourse Dilfer already did yesterday. I almost have to smirk at his workout yesterday that he allegedly hit out of the park. No scouts, coaches. It's almost like driving around with your parents in their car with your permit. Confidence builder. Then you get in the car with the officer and the front seat and things change a little. A little more pressure.
After watching Dilfer his whole career does it not suprise that Newton looks good to him? Actually I like Dilfer, he translates ok to radio.

He could help us in one of two ways. Really do well at his workouts and have someone take him before 17. Or do enough that someone would want to trade up with us for a kings ransom. Either way I'm routing for him to do well.

...He could help us in one of two ways. Really do well at his workouts and have someone take him before 17. Or do enough that someone would want to trade up with us for a kings ransom. Either way I'm routing for him to do well.

Put Mallet on that same list.

Personally I am opposed to this idea, OLB, DE, and OL first please.

I'm not. New England must continue to address obvious areas of weakness. Which players from the first round pan out, and which ones don't is anyone's guess until they go through their rookie and/or second season in the league. Moreover, I doubt Belichick will use both the seventeenth and twenty-eighth selections in this year's draft. But, I think of the examples from past drafts where a team had hit pay dirt twice in the first round from owning two or acquired an additional pick. Imagine if that were to happen to New England?

2009 - Green Bay selected BJ Raji ninth and Clay Matthews twenty-sixth.
2000 - Washington selected LaVar Arrington second and Chris Samuels third. And the Jets selected Shaun Ellis twelfth and John Abraham thirtieth.
1995 - Tampa Bay selected Warren Sapp twelfth and Derrick Brooks twenty-eighth

About Newton, it would make no sense to waste a first round pick on a quarterback who likely desires to start sooner than later. He and his agent wouldn't sign with New England. Besides, Newton's stock is supposedly on the rise, he'll go in the top five or ten. Buffalo, Cincinnati, Arizona or Washington might select him.

With so many teams in need of a new starting quarterback, I wouldn't be surprised if Newton leapfrogs some other prospects. Or, it will depend on whether or not Philadelphia trades Kevin Kolb or Denver trades Kyle Orton.

I'm not. New England must continue to address obvious areas of weakness.

I was saying I was opposed to drafting Newton, I would like OLB, DE, and OL first.

Unless he has a horrible showing at the combine or gets arrested there is no way he is slipping out of the top 10. Its a moot point. If he was available at 17, BB waits for the phone to ring in the war room and evaluates his options for a trade down.

Something tells me that Brady like Manning will play into their 40's so anything in the first 5 rounds would be a wasted pick. I do not want to see another Kevin O. from a few years ago and I think we just need someone to challenge Hoyer.

Unless he has a horrible showing at the combine or gets arrested there is no way he is slipping out of the top 10. Its a moot point. If he was available at 17, BB waits for the phone to ring in the war room and evaluates his options for a trade down.

I'm not entirely sure about this. Nothing against Newton in particular and, in a normal year with a signed CBA, you might well be right. However, all the QBs in this class seem like risky bets to become franchise QBs, or even to be 1st year starters. There certainly are several teams that seem to me like it would be worth their while to take a shot at one or another of these guys as a potential upgrade over the apparent dreck they have now. OTOH, all those teams have other needs as well and, if no CBA is signed before the draft, there will have been no free agency with which to refresh/upgrade any other position either - so the draft becomes their only means to do so at that moment.

So, it seems to me that a few of those teams may elect to skip taking a QB in the first round and focus on other areas of need instead. IOW, even Cam Newton might slide.

Not saying this definitely WILL happen, just that - given the unusual circumstances - it might not be such a remote possibility.

So, it seems to me that a few of those teams may elect to skip taking a QB in the first round and focus on other areas of need instead. IOW, even Cam Newton might slide.

Not saying this definitely WILL happen, just that - given the unusual circumstances - it might not be such a remote possibility.

Remote is correct. There are enough teams needing QB's that someone will take a flyer on him, and as long as it is not us but a team picking ahead of us then I am happy.

Every time a QB or TE (two positions we have locked down) is taken ahead of #17,it allows a player we need to drop closer to us.

Remote is correct. There are enough teams needing QB's that someone will take a flyer on him, and as long as it is not us but a team picking ahead of us then I am happy.

Every time a QB or TE (two positions we have locked down) is taken ahead of #17,it allows a player we need to drop closer to us.

Absolutely. But there's a TE on the board who seems likely to be taken before #17?

Absolutely. But there's a TE on the board who seems likely to be taken before #17?

Rudolph of Notre Dame is the only TE that I have with a first round grade. But I wouldn't take him before #17 although it only takes one team to fall in love with him.

Rudolph of Notre Dame is the only TE that I have with a first round grade. But I wouldn't take him before #17 although it only takes one team to fall in love with him.

I guess maybe my question should have been, "Is there a team selecting before #17 that doesn't have far more pressing needs than TE?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes