PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Injury News Butler to IR

Why in the world would they take a cap hit? He wasn't cut, he was just placed on IR. He still has another year on his deal here.

And even if he WAS cut, they'd gain cap space, not lose it.
His cost counts against the cap on IR.
Everyone on IR counts against the cap, but not against the number of players on the team.
That's why teams save $3-4M of cap space for the year - some players will go on IR, cost against the cap, while the team has to replace them and pay additional players that will count against the cap.
Every year each team carries multiple players on IR that count against the salary cap, whether for the full year or part of the season after an injury.

I wonder if either Butler or Williams will eventually be waived from IR with an injury settlement.

It sucks both are gone, but neither were a lock to make the final 53 man roster. It just makes selecting which CBs to retain a little easier.
I don’t know why JoeJuan would do that tbh lol

His cost counts against the cap on IR.
Everyone on IR counts against the cap, but not against the number of players on the team.
That's why teams save $3-4M of cap space for the year - some players will go on IR, cost against the cap, while the team has to replace them and pay additional players that will count against the cap.
Every year each team carries multiple players on IR that count against the salary cap, whether for the full year or part of the season after an injury.
I know - I guess what I should have said is “why would they take another $2.2M cap hit?” The way the post I was responding to was phrased is as if they’re taking an additional cap hit beyond the hit they already had for him.

That's too bad, I was really rooting for the story here. The way things were shaking out, it seemed to be down to Butler/Wade/Bryant for one spot, so I don't know if he would have made the team anyway, but it would have been nice to see the rest of the camp battle play out.

At least you admit it was a mistake.

Edit: I make the same mistake nearly daily leaving work, and I probably don't last 90 seconds.
I used to really like Bedard and would always tune in on Tuesdays but he has become a hot take guy like the rest. At least Felger admits it’s a schtick to drive ratings.

With Butler going to IR, here is my latest depth chart at the CB position:

I expect the last roster spot to come down to Wade and Bryant. Wouldn't be surprised if we add someone as well.

Jalen Mills
Jonathan Jones
Marcus Jones
Terrance Mitchell
Jack Jones
Shaun Wade
Myles Bryant
Devin Hafford
Justin Bethel (special teams standout)

I know - I guess what I should have said is “why would they take another $2.2M cap hit?” The way the post I was responding to was phrased is as if they’re taking an additional cap hit beyond the hit they already had for him.

Technically, they are taking a second cap hit (though not 2.2) because someone is taking Butler's spot on the 53.

If Butler were just cut, not IR, the cap hit would only be 750K.

I wonder if either Butler or Williams will eventually be waived from IR with an injury settlement.

It sucks both are gone, but neither were a lock to make the final 53 man roster. It just makes selecting which CBs to retain a little easier.
Malcolm Butler and Joke-Quan Williams in the same sentence? You can't be serious Butler won us a SB as for the later words can't explain. :rolleyes: Let's hope these current guys play like Butler in his prime.

Malcolm Butler and Joke-Quan Williams in the same sentence? You can't be serious Butler won us a SB as for the later words can't explain. :rolleyes: Let's hope these current guys play like Butler in his prime.

I am not comparing the two. I am addressing the two who were both put on IR the same day. Calm down.

He wasn’t making the team.

And while they have no clear shutdown CB… what they do have is quality of depth.
That's no longer true.

He was depth in that they were an injury or 2 away from maybe needing him.

They lost two CB's in one day and while neither would currently make the team, at least one was Plan B or C.
Correct... One more injury and Bill has to make a deal...

I really dont know what other people are thinking about not questioning this move!! Not much of a conspiracy theorist but Malcolm Butler was about the best player on the field in the first quarter last week. 2 break ups and a fumble recovery(his last play in uniform?) which he left the field running and jumping. Mystery HIP injury?? Contract is $9M over 2 years but who bets he isnt coming back. Who now wants to say this is hush money thats costing us cap room. Or am I wrong?? Are we really that loaded at CB that it couldnt be worked out? Or was it already worked out?

I really dont know what other people are thinking about not questioning this move!! Not much of a conspiracy theorist but Malcolm Butler was about the best player on the field in the first quarter last week. 2 break ups and a fumble recovery(his last play in uniform?) which he left the field running and jumping. Mystery HIP injury?? Contract is $9M over 2 years but who bets he isnt coming back. Who now wants to say this is hush money thats costing us cap room. Or am I wrong?? Are we really that loaded at CB that it couldnt be worked out? Or was it already worked out?

What an unintelligible mess of a post. I now know why your user name is not Jeffenglishteacher.

To whom are you referring when you write “who”? Felger was spewing this ridiculous “hush money“ conspiracy theory earlier in the week on 98.5 and all of the sycophants co-hosts agreed with the theory, of course. Butler has had 4 years to reveal why he was benched for the Super Bowl and hasn’t said a word. Perhaps that is because it would put him in a bad light. BB may actually be doing Butler a favor by not publicly addressing it.

What an unintelligible mess of a post. I now know why your user name is not Jeffenglishteacher.

To whom are you referring when you write “who”? Felger was spewing this ridiculous “hush money“ conspiracy theory earlier in the week on 98.5 and all of the sycophants co-hosts agreed with the theory, of course. Butler has had 4 years to reveal why he was benched for the Super Bowl and hasn’t said a word. Perhaps that is because it would put him in a bad light. BB may actually be doing Butler a favor by not publicly addressing it.
Hey I didnt hear it from them. When I heard he was cut I went back and looked at every play and nowhere did he get hurt. Further, he was the best player on the field with 2 stops on 3rd and a fumble recovery. Again, look at the tape when he leaves the field with the ball in his hands. He never went back on the field.

Hush money...for what, exactly?

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back