PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

But It's Not Mac's Fault....

I cringe when I watch Mac. Zappe is lousy for different reasons but at least I don't cringe watching him play. I just expect something bad to happen when Mac throws the ball. It's weird....

It's not excuses to bring up everyone being bad.

Mac stinks.

The o-line stinked early in the season though it's gotten better.

The receivers stink. If Mac does throw the rare really good pass deep or to the outside, they either drop it or fail to run the route well.

At 10:30 on 3rd and 6 Mac, in maybe the most egregious miss of the day, has multiple options to miss and does. Rhamondre running a wheel route out of the back field is wide open 20 yards downfield, Mac throws another Mac molasses ball special that takes forever to get there and underthrows Rham by a lot. This play is doubly bad because he also has Juju running free on a drag route route with a blocker in front of him ten yards away. But it's not Mac...

Well, at least he has lousy field vision to go along with his weak arm, poor mechanics, and inconsistent accuracy.

I cringe when I watch Mac. Zappe is lousy for different reasons but at least I don't cringe watching him play. I just expect something bad to happen when Mac throws the ball. It's weird....
At least Zappe is good in the pocket and his footwork isn't a disaster. He's not super accurate and his arm is weak - well, oh well because Mac's accuracy has been awful most of the year anyway and he has been throwing floaters all the time so he's not using any arm strength advantage he might theoretically have. Mac sees the field well pre-snap but goes to hell post-snap and seems to just lock on to somebody. May as well see if Zappe can see the field post-snap a little better, plant his feet and make a throw...

It doesn't have to be one or the other... it can be all 3. 4 if you count bad coaching.
I think this absolutely right. Mac may well not be what we are looking for long term in a qb. If I had to commit to a view right now, I would likely say he is not. But I don't have to commit to any such final analysis at this point, nor does the team. Certainly, we have no one better at present. We cannot be certain in any case of our evaluation of Mac, given Belichick's despicably and fireably incompetent job in managing a rookie's learning experience and the evaluation which ought to emerge from that work. Arguably, the team owes Mac a better shot, a legitimate shot, at showing what he can do. I favor Mac's holding the job for the remainder of the season and would certainly consider keeping him another year, as a bridge, in all likelihood, between Mac and someone better. If Mac wins the resulting competition, so be it. If he does not, he will have served a purpose for the team - interim starter - and will hopefully have been afforded a more genuine shot at proving himself.

As for "Again… if you’re defending Mac at this point you’re an idiot." I am tempted to say gfy, but I'll settle for observing that so rigid, lazy, and unnecessarily narrow a take is of little value in a worthwhile discussion of the matter.

In short, while Mac is quite likely not what we are looking for, and is a problem to that extent, only a blind man would assert he is the only problem, or that the other problems - in roster and in coaching - no doubt compromised Mac's development and the team's ability properly to evaluate him.

Agree no question.

Fair enough but the man still won 6 Super Bowls and is #3 all time in wins.

I'm not ready to cancel BB entire legacy over the last 2 seasons of dog ****.

From my view BB is Tom Landry circa 1988.
Landry.... Noll.... Coughlin.... Levy.... Very few, if any, go out on top.

I agree that it's part of Bill's story, but that does make him any less successful. Yes, he had Brady. At some level, he has to be given some credit for developing Brady into who he became. It didn't happen in a vacuum. I think it's fair that you could look at the last 3 SB wins and say it was Bill's job to set Tom up for success and assist him getting the knowledge needed to "pass the test", almost to get out of the way and let the man work. Most assuredly, 2000 Tom Brady "he needs to do everything faster" and 2016 Tom Brady coming back from 28-3 are not the same, and Bill was his head coach, no matter what the folks who hate Bill say.

At least Zappe is good in the pocket and his footwork isn't a disaster. He's not super accurate and his arm is weak - well, oh well because Mac's accuracy has been awful most of the year anyway and he has been throwing floaters all the time so he's not using any arm strength advantage he might theoretically have. Mac sees the field well pre-snap but goes to hell post-snap and seems to just lock on to somebody. May as well see if Zappe can see the field post-snap a little better, plant his feet and make a throw...
He wasn’t like this when he started his career. Would have never been picked anywhere near the first round if he was. Had his rookie moments but looked pretty good overall.

He’s regressed a lot so the interesting questions now are how did that happen and why?

I'd say he's Rex Belichick sans Brady but at least Rex coached a Mark Sanchez team to 2 AFC Championship games.
So Rex Ryan is a better coach than Bill Belichick. Gotcha

I can understand the position of wanting to move on from BB but cancelling BB's accomplishments before 2022 is absurd.

I’ve said all year, the problem is that Mac Jones doesn’t process what he sees ON TIME. Inaccuracy aside, he throws a lot of passes at the wrong time and/or to the wrong guy.

And it causes him to have difficulty even if he targets a lower option who has broken free. Dude has the hardest time hitting receivers in stride and we forfeit a lot of YAC with that latency.

So Rex Ryan is a better coach than Bill Belichick. Gotcha

I can understand the position of wanting to move on from BB but cancelling BB's accomplishments before 2022 is absurd.
I said “sans Brady” to make the point. His record sans Brady is what it is. A coach who misses that partnership a lot. And Rex like Bill is a defensive coach…

His work WITH Brady counts for sure that’s why he’s going in the HOF. Brady himself would have never talked up Bill if Belichick sucked as a coach his whole career.

I watch a lot of the Bengals because I'm in Cincinnati. Friends often gather to watch, so I see Burrow often. While we shouldn't expect Brady, Burrow is a realistic bar that we can strive for, even just something close.

And watching Burrow shows a lot of differences. Even when Chase was out, Burrow's confidence is way beyond Mac's. He has that little bit of delusion that you need in a QB that he can make the throws the team needs.

Mac is nowhere close. He had some confidence it seemed in that first year, but it ain't there anymore. And it's far too noticeable.

Mac is nowhere close. He had some confidence it seemed in that first year, but it ain't there anymore.
So again the question is why? That should not have happened.

• Agree
Reactions: Ian
Playing Zappe is a waste of time. This is a player who breezed through waivers, which is telling evidence as to the consensus view of his abilities. I advocated for some time that given his streak of good performance last year, he was owed a genuine shot in preseason, in spot starts as needed, on the practice field. He has to an acceptable extent been afforded that opportunity, and he has failed. There is at least a chance Mac might to an extent redeem himself, perhaps serve as in interim starter until some new prospect is developed, perhaps improve his value as trade bait to an extent. Starting Zappe will only confirm - again - that starting him is a bad idea. Zappe has had his opportunity and failed. Mac has been afforded as ill-managed and incompetent a shot as any first-round draftee has ever been afforded, it seems to me. He's been given crap coaching and a crap roster around him. I think we owe him further opportunity, in all fairness, particularly given that at least until year's end, it costs the team nothing to provide it. Again, I believe Mac is not likely up to the standard we require, but because of the HC and GM's incompetence, we are not in a position nor are we under any compulsion to make a final judgment on him at this time.

Last edited:
Like I said yesterday it's clear in hindsight that the right call in the 2021 draft was for the Patriots to move up to grab Micah Parsons. He would have been phenomenal here with BB coaching him. BB would have enjoyed that.

Then take Davis Mills in round 2. Or if Mac is sliding down and he might have you can take him anyway.
Hindsight is 20/20, always is and always wiill be.... You can go down any draft at any position, there will always be misses, espcially at QB position. Hey we got Tom Brady at the 199th pick. "Absolutely clear" that in hindsight teams made the wrong pick 198 times. Ask SF who gave up 3 first round picks to get Trey Lance and ended up happy with the last pick in the draft with Broc Purdy. Just so freaking hard to evaluate QBs to play on Sundays.

Who is saying otherwise at this point? Mac sucks and so do his receivers. The offensive line does seem to be gelling finally though. Who would have thought putting an NFL player at RT would have helped?

I said “sans Brady” to make the point. His record sans Brady is what it is. A coach who misses that partnership a lot. And Rex like Bill is a defensive coach…

His work WITH Brady counts for sure that’s why he’s going in the HOF. Brady himself would have never talked up Bill if Belichick sucked as a coach his whole career.
As a coach, Rex Ryan is not on the same planet as BB.

Two totally different men, skill-sets and situations.

The team only had 4 penalties yesterday, dysfunction at the QB position is why they lost.

Enough with the excuses and agenda driven nonsense.
Every poster here has an agenda with their posts, you're no exception.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back