PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruschi vs. Ray Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about the Pro Bowl, but disagree with a lot of the rest.

The five Super Bowl appearances may help. It did for Lynn Swan who didn't deserve to get in based on play alone, but Swan was an offensive player and if you look at the HOF it is waayyy biased towards offensive players. I still don't think it is enough for Bruschi.

Tippett had the stats (100 sacks in 11 years), Pro Bowls (5 times along with two All Pros), a DPOY nod, an AFC player of the year nod, and an All Decade birth. Tippett's only negative was the fact that he was overshadowed by arguably the greatest defensive player to ever play the game who wore the same number and got all the glory during the 80s.

Bruschi is my favorite player of all time because he embodied the Patriot Way, but unless the voters feel that they have to put in several Patriots during their Dynasty since only Brady and one or two others have legitimate chances of getting in based on production, then I can't see him having a shot.

Very well put, Rob. I do not (and I assume most others who are taking my stance here do not) aim to disparage a remarkable career from a tremendous person and football player. Tedy Bruschi is a College Football Hall of Famer, but I would be absolutely floored if he is a Pro Football Hall of Famer. Keep in mind that only about 35-40% of Hall of Famers played defense. Look at some of the players that are NOT in the Hall of Fame on defense:

[Note that I also agree that the Pro Bowl is a joke, but if you think it is not used to assess a candidate, you are kidding yourself]

Richard Dent, DE (137.5 sacks, 8 INT at DE; Super Bowl MVP; 2 time 1st team All Pro, 2 time 2nd team; 4 Pro Bowls)

Randy Gradishar, LB (7 Pro Bowls, 5 time 1st team All Pro, Def POY, 20 INT, best player on the Orange Crush Defense)

Chris Doleman, DE (8 Pro Bowls, 3 time 1st Team All Pro, 150.5 career sacks, 21 sacks in 1989)

Kevin Greene, LB (5 Pro Bowls, 3 Time 1st Team All Pro, All Decade 90s, 160 sacks, 6 conference title games, twice led NFL in sacks)

Lester Hayes, DB (39 career INT, 2 Super Bowl titles, 5 time Pro Bowl, All Decade 80s, 1980 Def POY)

Steve Atwater, DB (8 Pro Bowls, 4 Time All Pro, 2 Super Bowls, All Decade 90s, 24 int, known more for stuffing the run)

These are just a few guys who have good candidacy that have been eligible for a while. Consider in coming years that players that have retired recently and are not yet in or will retire soon include Deion Sanders, Junior Seau, Michael Strahan, Rodney Harrison, Derrick Brooks, Warren Sapp, Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, LeRoy Butler, Aeneas Williams, John Randle, Darren Woodson, Neil Smith, Brian Dawkins, John Lynch, Ty Law, and Ronde Barber. I'm certain I'm leaving others out.

Factor in guys like Champ Bailey and Ray Lewis, who still have a few years left and are absolute locks, and guys like Brian Urlacher who I feel is overrated but still has a better chance than Tedy. Then combine all that with the bias towards offensive players and tell me, how exactly is Tedy going to get in anytime soon? The only way he'll ever get in is if the veteran's committee decides he should be in 30 years from now, and I feel that is also unlikely.

Let's appreciate Tedy as a truly great Patriot, a Patriot Hall of Famer, and leave it at that.

Last edited:
If Bruschi had entered the stadium on game day with a struttin' gangland jive dance it might have helped his chances.

Sadly there is truth to that.

Yesterday I heard the guys on NFL Sirius radio saying it may be to early to say Bruschi will be a Hall of Famer but said he deserves "sirius" consideration.

Then today I read this from Yahoo sports

Disciples can learn from 'warm' Belichick - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Congratulations to New England linebacker Tedy Bruschi(notes) on his retirement Monday. Bruschi’s career, which included five Super Bowl appearances and three titles, is deserving of strong Hall of Fame consideration. He may not be a first-ballot lock, but he’ll be part of a spirited discussion. He’s also one of three linebackers from the 1996 draft who will get consideration for the Hall. Ray Lewis(notes) is a lock and Zach Thomas(notes) is worthy of discussion, at least. …

Last edited:
Yesterday I heard the guys on NFL Sirius radio saying it may be to early to say Bruschi will be a Hall of Famer but said he deserves "sirius" consideration.

Then today I read this from Yahoo sports

Disciples can learn from 'warm' Belichick - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Below are the HoF LBs.

**** Butkus 1965-1973
Harry Carson 1976-1988
Jack Ham 1971-1982
Jack Lambert 1974-1984
Willie Lanier 1967-1977
Ted Hendricks 1969-1983
Dave Wilcox 1964-1974
Andre Tippett 1982-1993
Bobby Bell (also DE) 1963-1974
Nick Buoniconti 1962-1974, 1976
George Connor (also DT, OT) 1948-1955
Bill George 1952-1966
Joe Schmidt 1953-1965
Sam Huff 1956-1967, 1969
Ray Nitschke 1958-1972
Mike Singletary 1981-1992
Lawrence Taylor 1981-1993
Derrick Thomas 1989-1999

IMO being part of and winning SBs plays a big part in HoF considerations. Most of the players on this list have played in or won SBs. Playing in 5 and being statistically in the ballpark with some of these guys gets him at the very least to be part of a serious discussion.

Bru will get consideration. Agreed that he not a 1st ballot HoFer, but there is a chance he could get in down the road.

Last edited:
lewis has the bigger mouth thats for sure !!!!
The problem for tedy and a lot of other players from the last ten years is that the whole world has been brainwashed that BB is the only reason this team has been any good. These guys will never get the credit the deserve
which is a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference