PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bruce Irvin cut by Raiders

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is going to claim him. If someone was willing to assume that contract, they would have been willing to trade a conditional 7 or something for him a the trade deadline.

I’ve posted on a couple of occasions how minimum salary players like M. Flowers and Gillislee have little incentive to play after being cut because they’re already collecting their money and do not want to risk a bigger payday down the road by getting injured. I don’t think that applies to Irvin. He’s making $8 m this year, and I’m pretty sure he wants to make more than the minimum next season so signing with a contender immediately and showing his value to the league is his best option.

I’m interested in knowing if he has anything left or if the train wreck that is the 2018 Raiders just destroyed his spirit. It’s very easy to criticise players for giving up, we’ve seen some of that already in this thread. But, it’s a very human reaction that I’m willing to forgive.

Ranked the 84th best player in the league. Not sure how he sucks

FWIW ...
... Irvin's remaining 2018 salary is $3.765M.
... The Pats currently have $4.832M in cap space after promoting Ferentz.

Crap I wanted us to trade for him before he deadline.:oops: Didn't know his cap hit was that high. Also Irvin must have been a older prospect he just turned 31 being in the league only seven years. Hey he can rush the passer some he could be alright in the right situation. I am not opposed after he clears waivers.

Problem with Irvin in Oakland this year was that they moved him to full-time DE, a role he's not really suited to play. That said, the Patriots have had a hard time figuring out a scheme fit for Derek Rivers and he's a similar tweener. That said, Irvin has had success in coverage earlier in his career. I wouldn't be opposed to kicking the tires.

Bruce Irvin is nothing without a better rusher getting most of the blocking drawn away. Hard pass.

Edge players who can be consistently successful rushing the passer when there's no effective pressure being applied by any other DL or LB are very rare. Irvin is a complementary piece, not a standalone one.

The 2016-17 pre-Gruden Raiders ran a 3-4 defense that had several other decent pressure players along the line and at LB besides Mack. Irvin was used,very successfully, as an OLB/edge-rusher in that defense, as he had been in Seattle (in a hybrid front-6 scheme, somewhat similar to what the Pats deploy).

When Gruden arrived this year, other quality front-6 players were let go besides Mack (who is now in the Bears 3-4). The defensive scheme was changed to a 4-3 under Paul Guenther, and Irvin was moved from OLB to DE.

The fact that Irvin that Irvin carries a hefty cap hit this year and next may deter the Pats from trying to claim him. The fact that Irvin just turned 31, and that the Pats would likely need to cut a younger, developing player in order to make room for Irvin, may be enough to deter the Pats from signing him. I don't think his lack of production on this year's Raiders defense would be a deterrent by itself.

Irvin seems like a good scheme fit at OLB/edge for the Pats to me, and he fits the size profile at 6030/250.

The Pats are getting nothing out of Rivers, Davis and Grissom and they need to.

If Irvin:
  1. Can play in this system
  2. Can still make plays
  3. Can fit here financially (not at $4m but something more reasonable)
He should be here.

Last edited:
I get why they are trying to develop Davis and Rivers as Flowers might be gone and Clayborn has basically a 1 year deal They need more experience on the edge, the pass rush and vs the run. Kinda like what Harrison gave them last year. Wise is part-time but decent.

The Pats are getting nothing out of Rivers, Davis and Grissom and they need to.

If Irvin:
  1. Can play in this system
  2. Can still make plays
  3. Can fit here financially (not at $4m but something more reasonable)
He should be here.

Rivers has played 58 D-snaps (11%) +3 total ST snaps, and posted 1 solo tackle.
Davis has played 127 D-snaps (23%) +2 total ST snaps, and posted 5 tackles, 1 QBH, and is credited with 3 pressures and 2 run stuffs.
Grissom, when healthy, has been a core special-teamer, averaging 17 ST snaps/game (over 60%).

Rivers and Davis are effectively rookies this season, with Rivers having had the benefit of two season's worth of OTAs and most of two Camps.

Rivers has played 58 D-snaps (11%) +3 total ST snaps, and posted 1 solo tackle.
Davis has played 127 D-snaps (23%) +2 total ST snaps, and posted 5 tackles, 1 QBH, and is credited with 3 pressures and 2 run stuffs.
Grissom, when healthy, has been a core special-teamer, averaging 17 ST snaps/game (over 60%).

Rivers and Davis are effectively rookies this season, with Rivers having had the benefit of two season's worth of OTAs and most of two Camps.
Yep. They need more playmaking for sure

I get why they are trying to develop Davis and Rivers as Flowers might be gone and Clayborn has basically a 1 year deal They need more experience on the edge, the pass rush and vs the run. Kinda like what Harrison gave them last year. Wise is part-time but decent.

Wise is being deployed primarily in a situational rotation with Clayborn on the right edge. In seven games, Wise has more snaps (224), than Clayborn has had in eight (205).

Wise has 12 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 1 pressure, 1 QBH, has forced 1 hold and is credited with a run stuff.
Clayborn has 7 tackles, 2 sacks, 11 QBH, 4 pressures and has forced 2 holds.

Simon and Davis have both been fairly productive in limited snaps as rotational/relief guys on both the right and left (Flowers') edges.

Simon is a 5-year veteran who has played standup OLB and DE in 2-gapping 3-4 defenses. He just turned 28. His cap hit for salary and weekly roster bonuses over the next 8 games is $400k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back