PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bring On Indy

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game comes down to minimizing the impact of both Dwight Freeney and Dallas Clark. Win both these battles and the Patriots go a long way to winning the game.... then firing off a psychological statement to the Saints.

Last edited:
2.) One of the most interesting match ups this week is going to be whoever on our D lines up against Dallas Clark. He sometimes lines up out wide. Sometimes he's in the slot. Somtimes he lines up conventionally. How we handle him in those various situations will be improtant to our success.

The last few games we've been using Clark primarily as a TE, as opposed to in the slot. Against Miami & Arizona (two 3-4 teams) he stayed in to block alot. Our backup TE Gjion Robinson has let us down as a blocker in key situations against the 3-4. So You guys still run the 3-4 right? I hope so or I'm gonna look like a moron.

4.) We don't know if Koppen will be out. The good news is that he doesn't have to rush back. The Colts aren't a team that blitzes alot up the middle. Also, their DT's aren't that big. Connolly should be able to do ok. If he is a better run blocker than Koppen, all the better. We'll see. The big test on offense will be Volmer vs Freeney. This is it folks. If Volmer can use his size and speed to contain Freeney's effectiveness, we can have a very good night.
I have a feeling that this is where the game will be decided. Volmer is a rookie, started only a few games, and if you leave him there on his own, you're in for a long day. You can say what you want about Volmer being good so far. But I don't think he's seen anyone nearly as fast as Freeney.

5.) This one is related to four. If Brady gets enough time, he can have a big day. The Colts secondary is decemated. Last year, the Colts had a rookie corner up against Moss. Cassel took almost no deep shots at Moss. This year, I don't think we repeat that mistake. Brady seem to be making serious strides towards becoming his old self. Bob Sanders is out and so is Marlin Jackson. On the linebacker level, Tyjuan Hagler is also out. We have some good matchups.

6.) If Ben Watson continues to step up, we can't let this guy go. He's made key catches this season. I think he still remembers his very, very, very very, poor performance against the Colts last year. His lack of aggressiveness cost us an interception. I don't think he lets something like that happen again. With weaknesses in the Colts secondary, Gary Brackett will be forced to stay at home in coverage. if we throw Baker and Watson at him, things can get very tricky for him.

7.) Who the hell are they going to put on Welker. If they put a linebacker on him for the jam, we win. If they put some young inexperienced corner on him, we win. If they put a safety on him, then either Moss, Aiken, Tate, or Watson wins.

My best guess for the coverage is, Powers will be lined up across from Moss & Lacey on the other side. The reason Bracket's on the field is to cover the slot/TE so that'll be his role. I'm sure Coyer's going to have an interesting time planning blitzes that don't get us killed, but I don't think he'll sit back rushing 4, and dropping 7 like we've seen in the past.

Are you guys using a 4-3 or a 3-4? I've heard it was 4-3 when Mayo was out, but haven't seen a Pats game in a few weeks.

Last edited:
I have just analyzed the remaining schedule of Pittsburgh as they will in my opinion win their division and battle us for 1st round bye in the playoffs. I think the only game they will drop will be @Baltimore so they may finish with 13-3 record. It's very probable that we will drop 1 more against Indy or NO. As the 1st tiebreaker would be record within the conference, we need to beat Indianapolis. If we drop 1 more against AFC, we will lost the tiebreaker against the Steelers (they already lost one game to NFC team, while our both current loses are against AFC).

I know it's early, and it's hard to predict, any given Sunday etc, but I think this is very likely scenario so it makes Indianapolis game much more important than New Orleans game.

Manning and Brady - both so fun to watch. Dallas Clark always gives us fits. Tough,tough game in Indy. Colts 27 Pats 24.

Why is everyone already saying that we barely beat the Texans so you can beat us? We have some of our key defensive players out for the season.

I see some flaws in Brady this past season too and not the same. Im not picking anyone this game even if I'm a Colts fan. It will be a challenge for us just like every other week.

is this an excuse?

so the PATS have suffered non-important injuries on the O?

Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris, Edelman, Light... no excuses plz.

is this an excuse?

so the PATS have suffered non-important injuries on the O?

Fred Taylor and Sammy Morris, Edelman, Light... no excuses plz.

Just for the record, you can state face without it being excuses ;)

ausbacker said it right, for you guys the matchups to win are clark and Freeney.

I think the matchups for us are moss and welker. By winning agains Moss and Welker we just have to not let them go crazy. They will get some, we can't let them have it all.

Mods, please move either move this to its own thread or delete...

Seems there is a bit of a poll going on over at indystar.com on who you'd want as you QB; Manning or Brady. Have a look and cast a vote! The page also has some good stats on the last few meetings between the two teams.

Manning vs. Brady | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

(requires flash plugin)

Have you actually visited their message boards yet? Go and read both their's and ColtFreaks. After reading the fan "predictions", one would have to wonder why the Pats are even going to bother to show up for this. Might as well just forfeit the game. :rolleyes:

I get so worked up for this week, every season. My closest friend is a die hard Colts fan.
2008: Gutwrenching, because winning with Matty C would have been crushing for him.
2007: I wanted a blowout, a complete, tire track leaving blowout, and all I got was a come from behind dagger. Good, but not great.
2006 AFCCG: WTF, he still won't acknowledge the horrendous reffing. The game that all Indy fans point to... for everything.

This year, I am trying to prepare myself for what is to come:
a. Terrible officiating, it never ceases to amaze me in Colt's games.
b. No pass rush. I hate watching Manning get time to throw.

That's about it, for me. I really want a white-washing... a beatdown of the Colts, but defensively I don't know if we have the personnel to get to Peyton consistently.

I wonder if the media will even acknowledge the injuries the Pats have overcome, or if it's going to be a Colt's ball-washing-fest all week?

I get so worked up for this week, every season. My closest friend is a die hard Colts fan.
2008: Gutwrenching, because winning with Matty C would have been crushing for him.
2007: I wanted a blowout, a complete, tire track leaving blowout, and all I got was a come from behind dagger. Good, but not great.
2006 AFCCG: WTF, he still won't acknowledge the horrendous reffing. The game that all Indy fans point to... for everything.

a. Terrible officiating, it never ceases to amaze me in Colt's games.
b. No pass rush. I hate watching Manning get time to throw.

That's about it, for me. I really want a white-washing... a beatdown of the Colts, but defensively I don't know if we have the personnel to get to Peyton consistently.

I wonder if the media will even acknowledge the injuries the Pats have overcome, or if it's going to be a Colt's ball-washing-fest all week?

Both teams have had a good number of injuries to overcome.

Here is something I didn't realize; Colts have won 4 of 5 since 2005 from the Pats.

a. Terrible officiating, it never ceases to amaze me in Colt's games.b. No pass rush. I hate watching Manning get time to throw.

yea....well see how bad it gets

I can't believe it is here already... I guess the season is for real now.

This should be a great game, couple of things I will be watching.

1) Patriots running game - Last season the Patriots played a very good game of ball control, using Moss as a decoy to keep the safeties back. They were able to pile up a lot of yards and control the clock. If Gaffney doesn't drop that TD it might have been different.
2) How wide open will the Patriots offense be? With Moss, Welker and Brady do the Patriots want to go toe to toe with the Colts?
3) Rookie CBs - The Colts are young in the secondary, look for the Pats to take some deep shots to Moss.
4) Can Manning be slowed down? When he is in a groove it can be scary. Without a consistent pass rush he could shred the Patriots. Terrific test for this younger, faster defense.
5) Vollmer vs. Freeney - enough said
6) Turnovers - Protecting the ball will be critical, such a close matchup this could be the difference. Both teams are good at protecting the ball, this will be an area of focus.

Two legendary QBs, a night time game, kids asleep, wife watching the amazing race. It doesn't get any better than this!

^^^

Soooo...this will be my first Colts game as a member here.

Tell me: Colts trolls...about the same as Jets trolls but with less F bombs and Axe Body Spray stench?

NOTE: Not referring to any established and respected Colts members here, of course.

Last edited:
Here is something I didn't realize; Colts have won 4 of 5 since 2005 from the Pats.

And.....this affects Sunday's game how?

Past streaks have zero impact on future games. Pats went 6-0 against the Colts during '01-'04, but that had no bearing on the Colts winning 3 straight between '05-'06. Now they've split the last 2, so it's either teams game to take.

The only thing prior matchups can be counted on for is evidence that when these 2 teams play, it's always a tough, hard fought game.

The talent is there across the board on both sides, let the better team win.

Another consideration is that Indy wants nothing to do with playing in Foxboro in January. They know their chances of winning a title go to near 0% if that is the case. Even though they are 2 games up now, losing this week will put them up effectively only 1/2 game (losing tiebreaker) with roadies to desperate teams in Baltimore and Houston on deck.

The Pats have already played 2 Super Bowls this year (Jets and Broncos) where they came up small. Indy is going to bring the same level of intensity and urgency as the Jets/Broncos. Not talking about effort but in play-calling and risk-taking. The Pats will need to match that this week or the road to Miami will go through the midwest.

You don't have to worry about the Ref's calling anythingon New England, Brady bring's his own, The Pat's are the dirtiest team in Football, And I'm glad Joey Porter had the courage to say so !

1200274240_peyton.jpg

1195932948_peyton.jpg

1195277095_peyton.jpg

Manning begs for calls ALL THE TIME. But don't let that get in the way of you being a ******. Yeah, Porter had courage. He had a lot of courage when he was continuously on his back (0 Tackles). The fact that you say that the Pats are the dirtiest team in football just lets me know how much of an idiot you are as there have been numerous people and teams around the league that have pointed to the Titans, a team which you should be familiar with (remember when Vanden Bosch rolled up on Manning's leg a few weeks back? Or do you not even watch your own team?). Doesn't matter though. In the end, this is all we're going to see...

1195536251_peyton.jpg

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt

-Supporter of the New England Patriot's since 1901:)

I saw both the pats game and colts game. Indy looks weak on defense, especially in the middle of the field. Houston really cost themselves this game with too many penalties and turnovers. I've been saying this all year long. Indy is just hanging on by a thread in a number of these games.

indeed and I love that they are undefeated so we can put a 1 in their loss column

:trolls:
Tom Brady and the Pat's are the dirtiest team in the league, Joey Porter told what everyone in the NFL know's, (That your SuperBowl win's have an *Asterisk* next to them !) Ray Lewis told the truth about "Shady,Lady, Brady" ! (Running begging the Ref' to throw a flag) because the Patr(idiot's) could'nt win straight up !

:trolls:

Tom Brady and the Pat's are the dirtiest team in the league, Joey Porter told what everyone in the NFL know's, (That your SuperBowl win's have an *Asterisk* next to them !) Ray Lewis told the truth about "Shady,Lady, Brady" ! (Running begging the Ref' to throw a flag) because the Patr(idiot's) could'nt win straight up !

See, the real question about guys like this is whether they realize how stupid they sound. Does anyone think Bobzilla realizes he sounds like someone who couldn't make it past kindergarten?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back