PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brian Hoyer is on the IR

Wasn't his contract guaranteed as soon as he was on the roster for Game. 1?

I think that's how it works, though I was thinking more in terms of his future prospects than of this particular season...

Wasn't his contract guaranteed as soon as he was on the roster for Game. 1?

His contract was guaranteed BEFORE game 1, In fact his 2023 contract is also guaranteed for $1.4 mil!!

I told everyone he was uncuttable!

His contract was guaranteed BEFORE game 1, In fact his 2023 contract is also guaranteed for $1.4 mil!!

$1.64m dead cap with 600k savings next offseason, that's what I call cap hell.

Nope Jahlani Tavai did that. :rolleyes:
Im Not No Way GIF
Tavai was nice enough to share with Myles Bryant though.

Imagine paying 37 year old Brian Hoyer to play for your team in the NFL? He wouldn’t be good enough to start in the CFL

As Johnny Carson would've said: I, did not know that...

Why the **** would NEXT year's salary be guaranteed also?!? Afraid of losing a "bidding war" for his services? :rofl:

Yet another example of Little Billy doing solids for his F & Fs...

As Johnny Carson would've said: I, did not know that...

Why the **** would NEXT year's salary be guaranteed also?!? Afraid of losing a "bidding war" for his services? :rofl:

Yet another example of Little Billy doing solids for his F & Fs...
That’s asinine. I guarantee if he were released, no other team in the nfl would even consider signing him to their practice squad let alone 53. Hoyer has the worst arm I have ever seen

Bequette pictures were one thing, this is beyond blackmail. This is conspiracy!

Hoyer going on IR kinda tells me that they feel pretty sure Mac will be back next week. It seems unlikely Hoyer would be dealing with a concussion for several weeks, so they must be confident that by the time Hoyer is available again, Mac will be too and they can just run with Mac & Zappe. And then when Hoyer's available again, they'll have a really good idea of what they have in Zappe and if they're happy, they can just leave Hoyer on IR.

They want to bring Thornton back, probably next week, so Hoyer going on IR frees up a roster spot.

Yup, that is how I see it too. They wouldn't shut Hoyer down for 4 weeks if Mac weren't in the pipeline. Hoyer wouldn't likely have played this week anyway..so we were going in with Zappe/Gilbert for a week at least. If Zappe has a good game...I could see Mac "miraculously healing" by Wednesday's practice....it would be day 15 after an ankle sprain (which takes 8 weeks AT MOST).

Belichick found a way to have Hoyer as a quarterback coach. He signed him as a player.
His contract was almost fully guaranteed for 2 years already so it never really mattered if he was on the roster, on IR, or whatever - he's getting paid this year and next year at a backup QB salary either way. Guessing he will most likely not be back on the roster this year or next year, but will be around the team regardless as a coaching assistant and his wife won't beat him up about getting paid a "coach's salary" since he'll still be on the payroll as a QB for 2 years.

He's here basically as a coach/mentor for Jones/zappe
Then pay him like a coach, don’t pay him like a player. He’s getting way to much money guaranteed including next year which is laughable

His contract was almost fully guaranteed for 2 years already so it never really mattered if he was on the roster, on IR, or whatever - he's getting paid this year and next year at a backup QB salary either way. Guessing he will most likely not be back on the roster this year or next year, but will be around the team regardless as a coaching assistant and his wife won't beat him up about getting paid a "coach's salary" since he'll still be on the payroll as a QB for 2 years.
Money we could spend on a good free agent who could help us on the field.

Next time I hear a poster say “we can’t sign this free agency he’s good expensive “ I’m gonna point to the $1.4 million we’re giving away to Brian Hoyer who isn’t good enough to play in the CFL

After yesterday he should be cut or stay in the season ending IR

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back