PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Breer on Julius Peppers

Status
Not open for further replies.
You´d quickly lose that bet. Once again, sacks are a fluff stat that don´t show you anything about a pass rush.

Top 5 in comp % were 18, 11, 18, 3 and 13 in sacks
Top 5 in sacks were 25, 7, 4, 17 and 16 in comp %

Sacks simply do NOT tell you about a pass rush, no matter how much you want it to.

And on a side note using coverage ability when discussing pass rushing still doesnt make sense.

.......for and average ranking of 12th and 13th out of 32 teams respectfully. Sounds like a respectable defense to me. As I said, it's a high-level indicator. I'm sure we can go all day and find data to support each other's arguments.

To each his own, but ¨all things being equal¨ Wilfork is more valuable to this team. I´m confident he will be re-signed.

Not sure where your get your confidence from. I'm not in the least. I have no idea what to expect.

Last edited:
.......for and average ranking of 12th and 13th out of 32 teams respectfully. Sounds like a respectable defense to me. As I said, it's a high-level indicator. I'm sure we can go all day and find data to support each other's arguments.

A high-level indicator of WHAT? Average of 3rd in one stat and average of 13th in another (since you are using average to attempt to benefit you) means top of the league in one area and average in another. Seriously, stop reaching and just let it go. I'm not finding data to support my argument, I simply got quick data to debunk your "bet". You should be able to easily prove your case by showing the leaders in sacks over the last 5 years are also the leaders in hurries.

Not sure where your get your confidence from. I'm not in the least. I have no idea what to expect.

My confidence stems from a few things:

* VW's personality (playing out the 6 year contract with barely a peep compared to say Branch who refused to play out a 5 year contract tells me that he has high character and values).
* VW's importance to the 3-4 2-gap defense.
* BB's value of interior DL in his defense.

So I don't think either side are going to be extremely stubborn and I think both sides will compromise to a good deal for everyone. Sure it could go the other way and not work out, but I'd me more shocked if he weren't here than if he were re-signed.

Last edited:
A high-level indicator of WHAT? Average of 3rd in one stat and average of 13th in another (since you are using average to attempt to benefit you) means top of the league in one area and average in another. Seriously, stop reaching and just let it go. I'm not finding data to support my argument, I simply got quick data to debunk your "bet". You should be able to easily prove your case by showing the leaders in sacks over the last 5 years are also the leaders in hurries.

Not sure what I'm reaching for. To be clear on my position, if someone told me that x team had 50 sacks last year, my initial reaction would be that they are a good pass-rushing team and a decent defense. I don't see by any means that is a "reach". :confused:

Can't find leaders in hurries by team. By player I can. I looked last night.

My confidence stems from a few things:

* VW's personality (playing out the 6 year contract with barely a peep compared to say Branch who refused to play out a 5 year contract tells me that he has high character and values).
* VW's importance to the 3-4 2-gap defense.
* BB's value of interior DL in his defense.

So I don't think either side are going to be extremely stubborn and I think both sides will compromise to a good deal for everyone. Sure it could go the other way and not work out, but I'd me more shocked if he weren't here than if he were re-signed.

I hope you are right. I really do.

Last edited:
If we get Peppers I think we should keep AT. If AT is no longer the only big threat at OLB it might make him play better. Teams would have to gameplan around stopping Peppers, and that might give Thomas more of a chance to make plays. In Baltimore he was never the only big name of the LB corps, and I'm not saying we don't have other good linebackers here. But Peppers could enhance Thomas's play which is why I think we should keep him and sign Peppers.

I'm personally not all that interested in them signing ANOTHER player that will take up a huge amount of the payroll.
Especially a guy that has a suspect attitude.

Are the Pats gonna have 2-3 guys take up 1/2 the payroll, and the other guys fight over the rest?

Last edited:
If we get Peppers I think we should keep AT. If AT is no longer the only big threat at OLB it might make him play better. Teams would have to gameplan around stopping Peppers, and that might give Thomas more of a chance to make plays. In Baltimore he was never the only big name of the LB corps, and I'm not saying we don't have other good linebackers here. But Peppers could enhance Thomas's play which is why I think we should keep him and sign Peppers.

AT's talent isnt enough to keep around with his poor attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents