PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BRDMAVERICK's TOP 15 PATS PLAYS of 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdmaverick

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
ok, first off, I should tell you my criteria for ranking these plays. I looked at the plays as 'which ones would make the top ten of sportscenter.' I was looking for quality, skilled plays, even if they happened late in a game that was already over. I did, however, rank some plays higher because of their importance to the game. Anyways, here they are..........

1.)Daniel Graham TD at ATL : Graham took a screen pass, had to hurdle his own lineman (Stephen Neal), and then rumble 45 yards into the endzone, absolutely plastering an ATL DB in the process.

2.)Brady-to-T.Dwight vs. TB :Brady completes a perfect pass over twenty yards downfield WHILE HAVING HIS HELMET FACEMASKED BY A DEFENDER. it's amazing that Brady was able to get the ball off, nevermind with such accuracy. Replays show Brady's helmet being twisted in front of his face while still holding the ball.

3.) Tim Dwight's great late reception at MIA : in a tie ball game with less than three minutes left in Miami, Brady bombs one downfield. It looks as though it is going to be intercepted but Tim Dwight makes a great catch, runs it to the twenty, and sets up the game winning TD.

4.) Ben Watson's TD Rec vs. JAX :eek:n 3rd and 13 Ben Watson catches a short pass and breaks three tackles, barely stays in bounds, and takes it all the way for a TD of 60+ yards

5.) Asante Samuel's big hits vs. Jeb Putzier, Rickey Williams, and Dallas Clark :eek:kay, so this a combonation of three plays, but Samuel just obliterated these three.

6.)Brushi's Tip/James Sander's INT Return for TD at BUF : talk about being in the right place at the right time. Bruschi rushes on a delayed blitz, blocks the pass, and Sanders is able to come down with it and return it for a TD.

7.) Brady's TD pass to C.Dillon vs. TB: on this third and goal play, Brady had to improvise, moving all around the pocket before finding Dillon for the short TD pass. It was a great job of Brady to buy time and find Dillon who clearly wasn't his first target.

8.) Doug Flutie's dropkick extra point vs. MIA :what can I say, first dropkick since 1941, and he made it look easy

9.) Rosie Colvin's sack, forced fumble, and fumble recovery vs. BUF :in a tight game against the Bills, Colvin recoverd a fumble that he caused between his legs, and it set up the game winning TD

10.) C.Dillon's TD run at PIT : the Pats had a few turnovers in the red zone earlier in the game, but Dillon's TD run in the fourth quarter not only gave the Pats the lead, but it was cool how he summersaulted into the end zone over a defender.

11.) Asante Samuel's INT RET for TD vs. JAX :not so much a great play by the player, but a great play called. On fourth and short Samuel showed man coverage but the played zone. He was in the perfect spot to pick off a Leftwich pass and take it to the house.

12.) Brady-to-B.Johnson at ATL :Brady throws a perfect 51 yard weather balloon type pass to Bethel Johnson who catches it in stride for the TD

13.) Brady-to-T.Ashworth TD vs. TB :in another Patriot display of "expect the unexpected", Tom Brady passes to lineman Tom Ashworth (who was lined up at fullback for the play) for the TD on 3rd and goal

14.) T.Brushi's TD saving tip at MIA :eek:n third and goal MIA QB Gus Frerotte threw a pass that was headed for an open Wes Welker in the end zone. Bruschi, however, saved a TD by diving and just barely being able to tip the ball away. The Dolphins then missed their field goal try. So Brushi's tip saved seven points.

15.) Brady-to-A.Davis vs NO I guess this play has more to do with bad defense than great offense, but it was still a 50 yard bomb by Brady to a wide open Andre Davis.

well, guys, with all the great Patriots plays over the past season, I had to leave some out. Maybe I forgot about some too. I just came up with this list at work this morning.

Well, any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I think Watson's run down of Champ Bailey should be in the top 5.

VI PATRIOT said:

ya, i was just thinking that...

Even with brady throwing the pick, ben watson epitomized hustle on that play...

And he decked Champ B. :D

PatsSaintsSox said:
ya, i was just thinking that...

Even with brady throwing the pick, ben watson epitomized hustle on that play...

And he decked Champ B. :D
That can be a combined one like brdmav did with Asante's hits, Watson also ran down Chris Gamble in the Carolina game (credit should go to Patrick Pass who ran him down and forced him to cut back across the field to screen behind a blocker and he ran right into the Watson freight express).

VI PATRIOT said:

I'd say top 3...would make #1 if the refs would have made the right call

Thanks brdmaverick, that put a smile on my face! Almost as good as a DVD!

PatsChick87 said:
Thanks brdmaverick, that put a smile on my face! Almost as good as a DVD!

ya, too bad there weren't any Super Bowl plays involved

I agree in that if the refs had called Champ Bailey's fumble a touchback, then Ben Watson's hustle/hit/forced fumble would clearly be number one.

Even without the right call, you are right in that it should be top five. I guess I just try to block that play out of my head. After all, on that play I thought we were going to take the lead. Instead we were about to be behind by 11 on only one play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes