PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandin Cooks' game winning touchdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

NG Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
watching highlights of it, I am astounded by how great his footwork was on that catch. He did not have a lot of room there...he was able to secure the ball and toe tap his feet in with almost perfect timing, like he had a sixth sense that told him how close his feet could be to the edge without being out of bounds..the jump to toe tap he did...it takes an incredible athlete to do something like that. Moss was the best at it. It's a really hard skill. We all love Malcolm Mitchell, but we've seen how much he struggles on sideline catches to drag his feet in.

Cooks is the only wr on our team that could make that catch and keep his feet in bounds...he had it all the timing, athleticism, and concentration.

I'm glad BB listened to me alot of people called me crazy and or stupid when I said let's go get Brandon Cooks most said it would never happen.
Crazy thing is how young and polished he is.
The whole league missed out on Stefan Diggs we are awful scouting receivers.

After the review, i was waiting for the refs to say he "didnt complete the catch" or "didnt control the ball all the way to the ground"...

his footwork was perfect, so I figured they would look for another way to hose the Pats...

I would take Cooks over Beckham (and his baggage) without a second thought. Cooks has been just about as good, though he hasn’t had as many targets.

I would take Cooks over Beckham (and his baggage) without a second thought. Cooks has been just about as good, though he hasn’t had as many targets.

I wouldn't go quite that far re: on-field performance. Beckham's ability to turn a routine slant into a 70 yard touchdown is without peer in the league right now, IMO Antonio Brown is the only one who's really close, and Tyreek Hill could maybe get there. Cooks isn't on that level IMO.

That said, it's pretty clear that Cooks is a much better locker room presence. I normally think most of the complaints in that area tend to be overblown with wide receivers (as long as they work their ass off, I don't care if they dance when they score), but OBJ really does seem like kind of a head case. I'd probably take Cooks over Beckham too, in large part because I don't see how you can build a sustainably competitive roster with a WR who's dead-set on becoming the highest paid player in the league.

watching highlights of it, I am astounded by how great his footwork was on that catch. He did not have a lot of room there...he was able to secure the ball and toe tap his feet in with almost perfect timing, like he had a sixth sense that told him how close his feet could be to the edge without being out of bounds..the jump to toe tap he did...it takes an incredible athlete to do something like that. Moss was the best at it. It's a really hard skill. We all love Malcolm Mitchell, but we've seen how much he struggles on sideline catches to drag his feet in.

Cooks is the only wr on our team that could make that catch and keep his feet in bounds...he had it all the timing, athleticism, and concentration.
Amazing catch and concentration. And watch the highlight again, the safety hits him in the head during the process, should’ve been a 15 yard penalty. Same thing happened on the Tuck Rule play in 2001 playoffs against the Raiders. The refs missed the head shot Brady took on the play.

I wouldn't go quite that far re: on-field performance. Beckham's ability to turn a routine slant into a 70 yard touchdown is without peer in the league right now, IMO Antonio Brown is the only one who's really close, and Tyreek Hill could maybe get there. Cooks isn't on that level IMO.

That said, it's pretty clear that Cooks is a much better locker room presence. I normally think most of the complaints in that area tend to be overblown with wide receivers (as long as they work their ass off, I don't care if they dance when they score), but OBJ really does seem like kind of a head case. I'd probably take Cooks over Beckham too, in large part because I don't see how you can build a sustainably competitive roster with a WR who's dead-set on becoming the highest paid player in the league.
I disagree on a few things. Cooks can take a slant the distance like Beckham, extremely similar in that regard. He won’t be as flashy as Beckham, because he won’t get the amount of targets Beckham gets. But they are using him differently (somewhat) than New Orleans did. The fact Cooks leads the league in ypc is just one piece of evidence noticeable as far as how the Pats are using him differently.

OBJ has a lot of talent, but that routine slant TD has been in the Giants playbook for a long time. They clear out the safeties and isolate for a big gain potential. Just yesterday, Shepard did the exact same thing. Why wouldn’t Cooks be able to blow by a defense like that if given the same route?

There are mainstream Giants fan who literally believe Beckham is the most talented WR to ever play in the NFL. WTF.

I didnt think he had a chance of getting both feet in when I saw that ball being delivered. Great to have a talent like that on the team.
If the DB had a brain (which thankfully he did not!) Cooks would have had zero chance of getting both feet in. Which does not take anything away from Cooks.

Patriots WR's have excellent ypc...I am pretty sure Hogan's numbers ae going to around 18ypc when it's all said and done. The reason being both Cooks and Hogan put alot of pressure on the D on the outsides this open up the Middle for both Gronk and Dola, though the Gronk man plays outside too. If Dola stays healthy and that's a Big "IF" he could have a career year in the NFL. He has 148yds already he will soon eclipse his paltry regular season numbers in our SB winning years. Sad not seeing Edelman operate in this Offense but if Dola gives us Half of what Edelman's brings that would suffice.

its_so_beautiful_crying.gif

Remember when in the playoffs last year the world put ARod's pedestal that much higher than everyone else because of a sideline throw in the playoffs because no one else could make that throw? That TD to Cooks looked very similar to me.

Helluva throw, helluva catch.

Remember when in the playoffs last year the world put ARod's pedestal that much higher than everyone else because of a sideline throw in the playoffs because no one else could make that throw? That TD to Cooks looked very similar to me.

I like Rodgers, but the whole “he can make plays that no other quartetback can” is annoying and stupid. It reminds me of the Manning exaggerations when he played in Indianapolis, that he was also the team’s offensive coordinator, etc. etc. Most of these NFL quarterbacks have similar physical tools and can throw a perfect pass. The difference is in consistent decision making and ball placement. I already appreciate Rodgers’ abilities and don’t need ridiculous myths to do that. He uses the same laws of physics as everyone else, and I’ve yet to see any quarterback throw curveballs.

Last edited:
... Same thing happened on the Tuck Rule play in 2001 playoffs against the Raiders. The refs missed the head shot Brady took on the play.
Shots to the head were not illegal in 2001, unless you punched somebody or blatantly gave a forearm to the face to draw a personal foul. At lot has changed since 2001.

Sweet

And it's only just begun

Cookies first TD as a Patriot reminded me of Randy's first. Like Randy he was doubled (Cooks was actually double covered all game) and like Randy, Cooks split and outran both defenders on a slant route to the house .

Only difference is this time the former Patriot coordinator and current opposing coach didn't run to the league claiming there was a camera on the field. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey