PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brandin Cooks' game winning touchdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shots to the head were not illegal in 2001, unless you punched somebody or blatantly gave a forearm to the face to draw a personal foul. At lot has changed since 2001.

I'm pretty sure the rules/"point of emphasis" change that made any contact with a QB's head a penalty was pre-2001.

I disagree on a few things. Cooks can take a slant the distance like Beckham, extremely similar in that regard. He won’t be as flashy as Beckham, because he won’t get the amount of targets Beckham gets. But they are using him differently (somewhat) than New Orleans did. The fact Cooks leads the league in ypc is just one piece of evidence noticeable as far as how the Pats are using him differently.

Cooks is on pace for 1365 yards. And that includes 2 "disappointing" games. That is pretty much in line with Beckham production.

And he won't get as many targets as Beckham because Cooks is averaging 25 yards a catch. If he got as many catches as Beckham he would have 2400 yards... :cool:

watching highlights of it, I am astounded by how great his footwork was on that catch. He did not have a lot of room there...he was able to secure the ball and toe tap his feet in with almost perfect timing, like he had a sixth sense that told him how close his feet could be to the edge without being out of bounds..the jump to toe tap he did...it takes an incredible athlete to do something like that. Moss was the best at it. It's a really hard skill. We all love Malcolm Mitchell, but we've seen how much he struggles on sideline catches to drag his feet in.

Cooks is the only wr on our team that could make that catch and keep his feet in bounds...he had it all the timing, athleticism, and concentration.
Mitchell did it perfectly in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl.

Cooks is the only wr on our team that could make that catch and keep his feet in bounds...he had it all the timing, athleticism, and concentration.

I'm optimistic, but this is hyperbole. As sweet as that play was, you can find a receiver on virtually every team that could make that catch. There's a lot of good players out there.

My question about that play is, why didn't Cooks roll onto his back as he fell? That is standard technique to keep the ball from moving when you hit the ground.

Patriots WR's have excellent ypc...I am pretty sure Hogan's numbers ae going to around 18ypc when it's all said and done. The reason being both Cooks and Hogan put alot of pressure on the D on the outsides this open up the Middle for both Gronk and Dola, though the Gronk man plays outside too. If Dola stays healthy and that's a Big "IF" he could have a career year in the NFL. He has 148yds already he will soon eclipse his paltry regular season numbers in our SB winning years. Sad not seeing Edelman operate in this Offense but if Dola gives us Half of what Edelman's brings that would suffice.
I may be a contrarian. However, I believe that our passing game (as long as folks stay healthy) is better than in 2016. Having Cooks and Hogan deep, with Gronk, Danny and White underneath is simply awesome. AND, one can not say enough about the play of the interior OL's.

I would like to see Dorsett make some plays as well. This team hasn't had this speed in awhile. It gives me hope when teams try playing man coverage. I think having gronk just makes it more difficult for teams. Need him to stay healthy.

I may be a contrarian. However, I believe that our passing game (as long as folks stay healthy) is better than in 2016. Having Cooks and Hogan deep, with Gronk, Danny and White underneath is simply awesome. AND, one can not say enough about the play of the interior OL's.

Our Offense would be absolutely Unstoppable with Edelman make no mistake about it.

Last edited:
I would like to see Dorsett make some plays as well. This team hasn't had this speed in awhile. It gives me hope when teams try playing man coverage. I think having gronk just makes it more difficult for teams. Need him to stay healthy.

I hope that every passing week Phillip Dorsett gets more comfortable with our Offense. I think Dorsett's ceiling is somewhere between Hogan and Cooks. He too can take the Top Off the Defense also subbing a Hogan - Cooks with a Dorsett is no breather for the Defense.:cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick