Regular + Post Season

Peyton Manning 71,940
Post-Season: 7,339
Grand Total: 79,279

Tom Brady 67,077
Post-Season: 10,226
Grand Total: 77,303

Difference: 1,976 yards

Dividing by 250 YPG, this would happen at home vs the Vikings in Week 13.

If the passing games keeps improving, the week before they're at the Jets.

I think that would be cool. It would be interesting if they announced it. You have to wonder if their fans would be classy enough to cheer. Kareem breaking the scoring record in the NBA comes to mind and the Boston fans cheering in the middle of that bitter rivalry.

His hitting 80K will be pretty impressive as well.

TD Regular + Post Season
Manning: 539
Post-Season: 40
Grand Total: 579

Brady: 497
Post-Season: 71
Grand Total: 568

Difference: 11 Touchdowns

Call it two per game, it would either be at home vs the Packers or on the road vs the Titans. I'd much prefer this vs the Packers and Rodgers. Vs Vrabel would be fun, but this more than the other record I'd like it at home - and especially against AR.

My guess is that if either happen in an away game it won't even be announced, since Regular + Postseason "records" aren't (IIRC) recognized as official records by the NFL. There are regular season records and there are postseason records, but nothing that's the combination of the two.

Some countdowns to regular season records for Brady (duh) and Brees (because I hate Goober):
Passing Yards
- Manning 71,940
- Favre 71,838 (-102)
- Brees 71,740 (-200) [so 99 to pass Favre, 201 to pass Manning]
- Brady 67,077 (-4,863) [needs 2,923 to hit 70,000]

Passing TD
- Manning 539
- Favre 508 (-31)
- Brady 497 (-42) [3 to 500, 12 to pass Favre, 43 to pass Manning]
- Brees 496 (-43)

Passing completions
- Brees 6,344 (and counting)
- Favre 6,300
- Manning 6,125
- Brady 5,716 [284 to 6,000, 410 to pass Manning, 585 to pass Favre]

Passing attempts
- Favre 10,169
- Brees 9,455 (-714)
- Manning 9,380 (-789)
- Brady 8,940 (-1,229) [60 to 9,000, 441 to pass Manning]

If Brady can play full seasons this year and next he should be able to pass Manning in everything and Favre in everything except attempts.

The all time records will depend on whether or not he can last a year or two longer than Brees, though with the way football is going these will all be broken within 10-20 years anyways.

Some countdowns to regular season records for Brady (duh) and Brees (because I hate Goober):
Passing Yards
- Manning 71,940
- Favre 71,838 (-102)

Passing TD
- Manning 539
- Favre 508 (-31)
- Brees 496 (-43)

Passing completions
- Favre 6,300
- Manning 6,125

Passing attempts
- Favre 10,169
- Brees 9,455 (-714)
- Manning 9,380 (-789)

If Brady can play full seasons this season and next he should be able to pass Manning in everything and Favre in everything except attempts.

The all time records will depend on whether or not he can last a year or two longer than Brees, though with the way football is going these will all be broken within 10-20 years anyways.

I knew he was close, but I didn't realize Brees can set the passing yards record next week. I hope he doesn't try to incorporate some lame skit into the accomplishment like Manning did.

Passing Yards
- Manning 71,940
- Favre 71,838 (-102)

Passing TD
- Manning 539
- Favre 508 (-31)
- Brees 496 (-43)

Passing completions
- Favre 6,300
- Manning 6,125

Passing attempts
- Favre 10,169
- Brees 9,455 (-714)
- Manning 9,380 (-789)

If Brady can play full seasons this season and next he should be able to pass Manning in everything and Favre in everything except attempts.

I also hate Goober. As time has passed, I have come to appreciate him less; he really was a choker who only won twice when he was dragged across the finish line by his team. The problem with basing a "greatest ever" discussion around statistics is that once they're passed, you're going to sink like a rock. Even despite his laughable interceptions in big moments and his absurd amount of INTs, Brett Favre was still considered a top-3 QB of all-time when he retired because he owned a bunch of cumulative records like TDs, yards, and wins. Within 10 years, multiple guys will surpass him, and some already have. Is there a serious sports writer who still considers Favre one of the greatest? Absolutely not. With efficiency stats, it's the same thing. When Steve Young retired, his records for passer rating were thought to keep him permanently in the discussion for greatest ever. Now that he's no longer #1 in greatest season, best career QB rating, etc., no one would seriously entertain discussing him among the greatest ever.

The same will happen to Aaron Rodgers, who has had a darn impressive career, but who appears to be in the crosshairs of some younger QBs who will play for even longer in the pass-happy NFL, guys like Mahomes, Goff, and Wentz, and suddenly a 105 career rating doesn't seem that unrealistic when 95-100 seems like the new norm.

5 rings though? That will stand the test of time because no one is surpassing it, the quarterback is the most important position in American team sports, and there is no greater prize than a championship. Simply put, kids don't daydream and fantasize about stopping a game so their 509th TD pass can be put into a box. They imagine they're down 28-3 and coming back to win a Super Bowl in the gutsiest, most imporobable performance ever.

Last edited:
I also hate Goober. The problem with basing a "greatest ever" discussion around statistics is that once they're passed, you're going to sink like a rock. Even despite his laughable interceptions in big moments and his absurd amount of INTs, Brett Favre was still considered a top-3 QB of all-time when he retired because he owned a bunch of cumulative records like TDs, yards, and wins. Within 10 years, multiple guys will surpass him, and some already have. Is there a serious sports writer who still considers Favre one of the greatest? Absolutely not. With efficiency stats, it's the same thing. When Steve Young retired, his records for passer rating were thought to keep him permanently in the discussion for greatest ever. Now that he's no longer #1 in greatest season, best career QB rating, etc., no one would seriously entertain discussing him among the greatest ever.

The same will happen to Aaron Rodgers, who has had a darn impressive career, but who appears to be in the crosshairs of some younger QBs who will play for even longer in the pass-happy NFL, guys like Mahomes, Goff, and Wentz, and suddenly a 105 career rating doesn't seem that unrealistic when 95-100 seems like the new norm.

5 rings though? That will stand the test of time because no one is surpassing it, the quarterback is the most important position in American team sports, and there is no greater prize than a championship. Simply put, kids don't daydream and fantasize about stopping a game so their 509th TD pass can be put into a box. They imagine they're down 28-3 and coming back to win a Super Bowl in the gutsiest, most imporobable performance ever.
Absolutely.
Regular Season Stat records, as amazing and impressive as they might be, are, in the end "records made to be broken." Case in point: if Brees and Brady both stay healthy and capable of playing at a high level, they'll probably end up trading the lead in a couple of categories.

The Favre example is terrific...brings back thoughts of Dan Marino. But, if you go back to Otto Graham, would anyone put either of them (or Peyton) on their list of the "Five Greatest Ever?" I don't think so, not with Brady, Graham, Montana, Starr and Unitas in the mix. I'd think about putting Aikman or Staubach on that list before I'd think of Favre, Marino or P. Manning.

I'm sure that a guy as competitive as Brady keeps track of all these things and especially knows where he stands in relation to Peyton and Brees, but I'm pretty sure the only record he really cares about breaking is his own for the number of SB wins and appearances as a starting QB. He's smart enough to know that all the other records that he, P. Manning and Brees might set/have set are destined one day to be surpassed in an era where the NFL is protecting QB's and penalizing Defensive backs for breathing in the direction of a Receiver.

But five rings in the SB era? It's hard to imagine anyone surpassing that. Indeed, that's why Brady wasn't generally recognized as the GOAT (by all but the Haters) until he got the Fifth Ring that put him past Montana and Bradshaw (more Montana because Joe had the stats as well). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Bart Starr's five NFL Championships are not still an incentive to Brady and that it might just irk him that Starr is the only QB to win three consecutive NFL Championships (1965--67).

Tom Brady can tie for most Pro-Bowls all-time this season. Drew Brees and Larry Fitzgerald are 2 behind him and nobody else active is remotely close.

Tom Brady can tie for most Pro-Bowls all-time this season. Drew Brees and Larry Fitzgerald are 2 behind him and nobody else active is remotely close.

It may be blasphemy around here, but I don't think he'll earn a Pro Bowl nod this year unless he puts up much better numbers with Edelman, Gordon, and Michel integrated into the offense. I do expect his stats to improve drastically, but through four games he's 24th for yards per game, 8th for touchdowns thrown, tied for 8th most interceptions thrown (along with Josh Allen!), and 21st for quarterback rating, if you care about that metric. As a team, the Patriots are also only putting up 23.8 points per game, good for merely 15th in the league.

Again, I full expect him to normalize his stats, and he should be among the leaders by the end of the year, but Pro Bowl voting starts halfway through the season. It's possible that the other big names (Mahomes, etc) will edge him out. I don't really care, though, as long as he's competing for another Super Bowl.

National Football League Stats - by Player Category | NFL.com

He's got a music album coming out?

Great news!

We can now expect Brady to play into his 70's:

And it appears Gisele Bundchen has relented in her quest to get Tom Brady to stop playing football.

The retired supermodel appeared on ABC’s “Good Morning America” on Tuesday morning to promote her new book, “Lessons: My Path to a Meaningful Life.” In the book, Bundchen insists her New England Patriots quarterback husband can retire from the NFL whenever he feels like it, and she’s accepted that “what will be will be.”

Gisele Bundchen Appears To Have Accepted Tom Brady Isn’t Retiring Soon

I also hate Goober. As time has passed, I have come to appreciate him less; he really was a choker who only won twice when he was dragged across the finish line by his team. The problem with basing a "greatest ever" discussion around statistics is that once they're passed, you're going to sink like a rock. Even despite his laughable interceptions in big moments and his absurd amount of INTs, Brett Favre was still considered a top-3 QB of all-time when he retired because he owned a bunch of cumulative records like TDs, yards, and wins. Within 10 years, multiple guys will surpass him, and some already have. Is there a serious sports writer who still considers Favre one of the greatest? Absolutely not. With efficiency stats, it's the same thing. When Steve Young retired, his records for passer rating were thought to keep him permanently in the discussion for greatest ever. Now that he's no longer #1 in greatest season, best career QB rating, etc., no one would seriously entertain discussing him among the greatest ever.

And yet we have already forgotten Otto Graham (7 championships) and Brett Starr (5 championships) since they were 70 and 50 years ago respectively.

In another 70 years fans will be saying "yeah Brady won 5 but competition back in 2000s is nowhere as tough as it is now in 2090 as everyone is faster, stronger, taller".

Everyone has recency bias.

And yet we have already forgotten Otto Graham (7 championships) and Brett Starr (5 championships) since they were 70 and 50 years ago respectively.

In another 70 years fans will be saying "yeah Brady won 5 but competition back in 2000s is nowhere as tough as it is now in 2090 as everyone is faster, stronger, taller".

Everyone has recency bias.
If those AFL and NFL championships count for Graham and Starr (when there were 8 and 13 teams in each of their respective leagues), then you might have to credit Brady with 8 championships (5 Super Bowsl, 3 AFC).

Also, I don't think the NFL will be around in 2090.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots