PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Brady & Gronk Done?

jdlboot14

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Gotta say it. Could this be it for one or both?
The guys on WEEI are talking about the under the radar, legitimate idea that Brady could hang it up after this playoff run.
While he's teasing everyone about playing until 50, he'll be 45 this year.
He has a ton of other businesses and brands to manage, and his kids are growing up fast.
If the team loses coaches, important starters, etc. does Brady want to help re-build at this stage? I doubt it.
This could be it. And I don't know how much longer Gronk will grind it out anyway, but if Brady leaves, it's a good bet Gronk does too.
I'd say if Bucs win the SB it's a near certainty Brady retires. If not, maybe 50% chance.
Thoughts?

If the Bucs win it I wouldn't be shocked. I still think he would've retired in 2017 if we won that Eagles super bowl based on the way that Tom vs Time doc was going and then how long it took to release the last episode. I thought that final episode was maybe set up to be his swan song and now he has this new Man in the Arena doc and I don't know when the last episode is supposed to be but maybe he is making a new swan song episode if he wins another one.

Option A: Bucs win the SB, Brady comes back for 3 in a row.

Option B: Bucs win the SB, Brady retires into the sunset after the greatest career in professional sports history.

Option C: Bucs lose, Brady is motivated to come back for another run.

Option D: Bucs lose, Brady retires into the sunset after the greatest career in professional sports history.

We shall see

If he loses, I think he retires. Gronk is absolutely going with him

If he wins, I think he stays one more year. Gronk might follow him

If they win it all this year, I could at least see Brady retiring. I don’t think he really gives a damn about seeing his kids grow up. If he did, he’d have retired by now. But he’s 45 and that was once the stated age he wanted to play until. If they fall short, I could see him running it back.

Gronk? Who knows. This has been a renaissance year for him. Guerrero must be doing something right there, because he almost looks like the Gronk of old. Plus his other avenues for making money dried up pretty quickly. His stint on Fox was an embarrassment, he can’t act, and wrestling is even harder on the body.

The bucs roster construction makes this a possibility & even more likely in 2023. They have alot of fas & the team is going to take a step back especially on offense.

Side note: I Google image searched "Tom Brady" for Yukon Cornelius's favorite Patriot thread and the first 20 or so images were TB12 in a Bucs uniform. It made me sad.

Win or lose TFB stays with Tamper one more year. Shorting his recent contract would leave a nasty taste on the TFB brand.
He was lobbying for 2 year contracts in NE and then to walk away short on a 2 year would not look good. Fan fallout.
Gronk stays one more year with Tom then it's Adios Muchachos (can we say that here?) for both before cap implosion.

Win or lose TFB stays with Tamper one more year. Shorting his recent contract would leave a nasty taste on the TFB brand.
He was lobbying for 2 year contracts in NE and then to walk away short on a 2 year would not look good. Fan fallout.
Gronk stays one more year with Tom then it's Adios Muchachos (can we say that here?) for both before cap implosion.
Yup. I think much of this WEEI discussion comes from Seth Wickersham who said last week he “has a hunch” Brady will retire after this season, but emphasized it’s his opinion based on what he learned through the book writing process and not based on someone telling him.

Brady kept saying for years he would play until 45. He structured his contract to play through age 45. He’s proven his point, that he can do it. The only things stopping him from playing now is if he has the mental desire to go through the grind, and if the time away from his family as his kids start to get older really starts wearing him down. I’m assuming what he saw on that front is what Wickersham is basing his prediction on,

My personal suspicion - he’s back for 2022 to reach his goal of playing at 45, but that’s it, and he’ll step away after that still playing at a high level and knowing he could continue to go on, but not wanting to do so anymore.

Zolak was asked point blank if Brady was retiring today right before his show ended and said “no. Hard no” and the guy literally texts Brady directly so take that for what you will.

He thinks Arians might be gone though.

The chance of Brady retiring is ~0.1%. And its only that high because he could suffer some freak accident that keeps him from playing next year.

He said he would play until he is 45. Why would he retire the season before reaching his goal while he is still playing at a high level?:confused:

I think he's on record saying he made a promise to give Tampa 3 years.

If he does, then Tampa Bay missed a big opportunity by not cashing in every draft pick to load up. I think he’ll continue playing.

I don't think they win this year, they may go out this week. But losing AB and Godwin may actually be good for them because the team is finally playing Brady-ball and taking what they're given. They have a whole slew of #3 and #4 WRs in Perriman, Johnson, Miller and Grayson. I think they'll be fine--the key is signing Evans and keeping the OL intact.

And with all their injuries on defense, it also looks like they can stand to lose a few there and still be good. I'm not saying they will ever win anther SB with Brady, but with Brady you always have a chance.

He's playing well, he's moving well, he's throwing well, so he stays. Even if they win the SB. Who was the last guy to win 3 in a row? No one? Oh--reason enough to stay.

I don't think they win this year, they may go out this week. But losing AB and Godwin may actually be good for them because the team is finally playing Brady-ball and taking what they're given. They have a whole slew of #3 and #4 WRs in Perriman, Johnson, Miller and Grayson. I think they'll be fine--the key is signing Evans and keeping the OL intact.

And with all their injuries on defense, it also looks like they can stand to lose a few there and still be good. I'm not saying they will ever win anther SB with Brady, but with Brady you always have a chance.

He's playing well, he's moving well, he's throwing well, so he stays. Even if they win the SB. Who was the last guy to win 3 in a row? No one? Oh--reason enough to stay.

Brady loves Godwin. But there is a real chance that AB being gone is a load off Brady’s mind and mental strain.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back