PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BJGE back in the fold assuming he is cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, absolutely. I'm not suggesting that Bolden's 4.9 ypc would hold up if he were a lead back. (If so, I wouldn't be looking for an upgrade!)

My point was just that it's easy to see why you'd opt to take your chances with Bolden rather than the proven mediocrity of Green-Ellis. Frankly, if Lawfirm weren't an ex-Patriot nobody here would give him a thought as a potential acquisition.

I just love how you insist on BJGE's mediocrity when he's only one of 4 rushers during the BB era to have ran up 1,000+ yards a season, and only 1 of 3 to add double-digits TD's on top of that.

Not suggesting he was the savior of the franchise- far from it; but for a UDFA, he didn't do too badly.

Lawfirm is a bad ass, I remember his elbows and forearms were always bleeding he didn't use a single band-aid.

I just love how you insist on BJGE's mediocrity when he's only one of 4 rushers during the BB era to have ran up 1,000+ yards a season, and only 1 of 3 to add double-digits TD's on top of that.

Not suggesting he was the savior of the franchise- far from it; but for a UDFA, he didn't do too badly.
He was a good in between the tackles runner. He was an undrafted free agent for a reason though, and that is because he had average talent for a NFL RB. At age 29 having lost some of that talent with age I do not think he is worth bringing in. No position in the NFL is a young man’s position like the RB position, even the best RBs like Chris Johnson lose their value at 28-30.

He was a good in between the tackles runner. He was an undrafted free agent for a reason though, and that is because he had average talent for a NFL RB. At age 29 having lost some of that talent with age I do not think he is worth bringing in. No position in the NFL is a young man’s position like the RB position, even the best RBs like Chris Johnson lose their value at 28-30.

Not advocating bringing him in. We already have Bolden who, at 24, is just entering his prime.

Of course he was successful for a UDFA, but I don't see what his draft status has to do with what he brings to the table now.

The reality is that the 1,000-yard season was BJGE's only impressive season in a six-year career. Over the three seasons since then he's averaged only 3.7 yards per carry while being a non-factor in the passing game. Doesn't that fulfill your definition of mediocrity?
smiley-confused004.gif

Not advocating bringing him in. We already have Bolden who, at 24, is just entering his prime.
I like Stephen Houston a lot, he reminds me of Arian Foster.

Right now the locks are –

-Stevan Ridley
-Shane Vereen
-James White

These players will be battling it out of 2-3 roster spots –

-Brandon Bolden
-James Develin
-Stephen Houston
-Jonas Gray
-Roy Finch

You could also probably group Develin with the TEs.

I don't see why they should. BJGE was decent here and his ball security issues in Cincy have been documented.
Not only that, but he keeps getting slower.

Of course he was successful for a UDFA, but I don't see what his draft status has to do with what he brings to the table now.

The reality is that the 1,000-yard season was BJGE's only impressive season in a six-year career. Over the three seasons since then he's averaged only 3.7 yards per carry while being a non-factor in the passing game. Doesn't that fulfill your definition of mediocrity?
smiley-confused004.gif

The way I look at it is that the one season we really needed him to contribute (due to injuries), he stepped up to the plate; IIRC, a 14-2 season, so he certainly didn't hurt us. Hard worker, soft-spoken, team-first kind of player, who helped us. Not bad for a UDFA, and that's all there is to it for me. Not sure why he takes such a bad beating on this forum.

I understand you're looking at this in the context of bringing him back, but I'm not. We already have Bolden, and I hope we take a kid plus one on the PS. No more RB's near the end of their careers.. that usually backfires.

So, you think that Develin is a LOCK?

Develin's not a running back, he's a special teamer who does some occasional lead blocking. He's more likely to lose his roster spot to Patrick Chung than to BenJarvus. But I have Develin on my very initial 53, he was on the active roster for all 16 games last season and his blocking is something that no one else on the roster does.

Develin's not a running back, he's a special teamer who does some occasional lead blocking. He's more likely to lose his roster spot to Patrick Chung than to BenJarvus. But I have Develin on my very initial 53, he was on the active roster for all 16 games last season and his blocking is something that no one else on the roster does.
As you say, he was on the active roster in all games, and was used as a blocker. Last I heard Chung wasn't a lead blocker.

Why anyone wouldn't prefer him to Bolden is mind boggling.

That said I hope he would be 4 at best bellow vareen, Ridley, and White and not sure you need to spend money there.
Bolden seems to have better receiving skills.

Its make or break for Bolden. I like him, but he has to step up or be gone.

Not sure why we would bring BJGE back when we already have his skill sets in Bolden. Bolden also excels in ball security; he has zero fumbles.

It has always puzzled me why Bolden is low on the depth chart. It has to be an attitude/motivation issue.
He has had injury issues.

IIRC, the Pats gave him a high tender last off season so Id like to believe they think he has some talent. Although, they may have also been trying to keep him from the Jets.

As you say, he was on the active roster in all games, and was used as a blocker. Last I heard Chung wasn't a lead blocker.

He's a special teamer, though. Anything else is a bonus.

I'd bring him back for TC. But, I don't think he'd make the roster.

Develin only took 43 snaps on special teams last season. He does not contribute much on special teams. He made the team as a lead blocker, McDaniels likes to run out the I-formation. I think Develin has a good chance at making the squad, he showed a lot of improvement as the season progressed as a lead blocker.

Although I could see a roster spot being lost by Devlin , I would tend to agree that with the way the draft went we would potentially being going back to a power running scheme and smash mouth like we saw at the end of the season and with better personel it should improve(Size and weight of draftees) and with that in mind Devlin would be vital to that as he seemed to do well enough as a lead blocker and who could forget that TD Run:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST