PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bill Belichick, Stand Up Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pape

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Don't ever say BB isn't a players coach ... he may be a hard ass at the negotiating table or on the sideline, but he does his players solid when they have earned it... best kind of "players coach" there is in this league... little wonder why guys come to New England knowing they will be put through the grinder and held to a level of accountability not found on most NFL teams...

This Story of Bill Belichick Carrying an Injured Donte Stallworth on His Roster Just to Boost His Pension Will Be the Best 3 Minutes of Your Week

By way of background, this story Donte Stallworth told on Michael Silver’s podcast is from December 2012. The infamous “Letterman Jacket Game.” when the Texans came to Foxboro 11-1, and left with their *****in’ new jackets shoved all the way up their butts after losing 42-14. The loss sent them into a humiliating tailspin it took the franchise years to recover from.

Put in the eight years since, he’s never told a story. About how Bill Belichick carried his injured, unusable self on the roster for the entire season to make sure he not only got paid, but so that he could accrue an extra year of time toward his pension. Something he was under no obligation to do. And served no purpose other than to do right by a true pro who had played hard for him in the past.
Just bear that in mind next time someone is telling you that Belichick doesn’t have a heart. That it’s all about business. When the reality is, nderneath that gruff, crusty exterior, beats a warm, caramel and nougat-filled gooey center of pure sweetness. That man in the tattered battle flag-looking sweatshirt is a sentimental softie who gets all sentimental about people who have helped him build an empire. The world thinks he’s Mr. Potter. And the truth is, he’s a real life George Bailey who takes care of his friends. Thanks, Stallworth. This story made my week.

Last edited:
Never publicly insults his players, puts in time to teach all players on the roster, always puts the blame on himself while giving the players all the credit.

Exceptional at roster management. Not just acquiring and teaching, but also motivating.

Never publicly insults his players, puts in time to teach all players on the roster, always puts the blame on himself while giving the players all the credit.

Exceptional at roster management. Not just acquiring and teaching, but also motivating.

sounds like Bill Belichick to me.

Great story. Love hearing about stuff like this.

For every Donte Stallworth story, there's a Malcolm Butler story.

That's right, I went there. I'll see you once this thread reaches 200 pages. ;)

Also multiple stories of Belichick anonymously stopping on highways to save cars overturned or to check on people in car accidents.

And spending a ton of time with Jim Brown and Cleveland inmates. All anonymously, we only know bc Jim Brown told others.

For every Donte Stallworth story, there's a Malcolm Butler story.

That's right, I went there. I'll see you once this thread reaches 200 pages. ;)

What do you mean, the story of finding and allowing an undrafted kid to make his roster, give him meaningful playoff snaps, give him an opportunity in the biggest play of a Superbowl, and start him for an entire Pro Bowl-earning season, en route to a large multi million dollar contract ?

Also multiple stories of Belichick anonymously stopping on highways to save cars overturned or to check on people in car accidents.

And spending a ton of time with Jim Brown and Cleveland inmates. All anonymously, we only know bc Jim Brown told others.

And slipping $100 bills to assistants and scouts.

Here's the thing I love about Bellichick. While he is a football perfectionist, he doesn't ever let his ego get in the way of doing what's best for the football team. It's one of the reasons why whenever he's made the inevitable draft or FA mistakes, he doesn't dwell on them just to save face, he admits them and moves on.

In the end he's a teacher, and he does THAT better than any NFL coach coach in my life time. When the day comes that we will be allowed back to watch preseason practices, take the time to look at all the teaching Bill does at an age where he COULD sit and just "supervise". And what's more amazing is that he can go to ANY position group on the field and teach something of value to a rookie or a vet, to a high pick or an UDFA. There is no coach in the league that can do that. Even the best of young coaches just stick to their own areas of expertise.

Bill is often labelled a defensive genius, but do you know who Tom Brady's first QB coach was. Yeah, that's right. Bill Bellichick. Even while Scar was on the staff, you couldn't go to a practice without seeing Bill working with some OLman on something, or working with some WR, TE or RB. Bill does it all and does it better.

And Bill the GM, 20 years of competitive teams proves he can CONSISTENTLY build teams that can compete for championships and win in the post season. Even the 2 seasons we missed the playoffs we had winning records and missed the playoffs in tie breakers on the last day of the season. Think about this, since 2000, no team in the AFCE has ever had more wins the the Pats. Sure there are years where some GM pull off a better draft than us or has better FA pick ups. But none have done it for 20 years without a few years out of the playoffs.

BB is STILL the GOAT at 70 and not living off his laurels like that fraud Shula did in Miami (BTW- it is a gross hyperbole to call Don Shula a fraud because he WAS a great football coach just not as great a Bill and certainly not as good as Bill is at his age and Bill will never be the hypocrite that Shula turned out to be.)

I was at an Amer-I-Can in 2000 event when Jim Brown praised BB, unfortunately I thought BB was a jag... had my pix taken with Brown, but not BB.. kick myself often for that. The words of Jim Brown:

"Let me tell you about someone I do admire. Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots has contributed more to the work I surround myself with than any black athlete in modern times--financially, intellectually, every way. He's been in the prisons with me. He's met gang members in my home; he's met gang members in Cleveland [where Belichick coached the Browns from 1991 to '95]. He's put up money. He's opened up areas of education for us very quietly and very strongly. Imagine what would happen if Michael Jordan did the same thing."

Here's the thing I love about Bellichick. While he is a football perfectionist, he doesn't ever let his ego get in the way of doing what's best for the football team. It's one of the reasons why whenever he's made the inevitable draft or FA mistakes, he doesn't dwell on them just to save face, he admits them and moves on.

In the end he's a teacher, and he does THAT better than any NFL coach coach in my life time. When the day comes that we will be allowed back to watch preseason practices, take the time to look at all the teaching Bill does at an age where he COULD sit and just "supervise". And what's more amazing is that he can go to ANY position group on the field and teach something of value to a rookie or a vet, to a high pick or an UDFA. There is no coach in the league that can do that. Even the best of young coaches just stick to their own areas of expertise.

Bill is often labelled a defensive genius, but do you know who Tom Brady's first QB coach was. Yeah, that's right. Bill Bellichick. Even while Scar was on the staff, you couldn't go to a practice without seeing Bill working with some OLman on something, or working with some WR, TE or RB. Bill does it all and does it better.

And Bill the GM, 20 years of competitive teams proves he can CONSISTENTLY build teams that can compete for championships and win in the post season. Even the 2 seasons we missed the playoffs we had winning records and missed the playoffs in tie breakers on the last day of the season. Think about this, since 2000, no team in the AFCE has ever had more wins the the Pats. Sure there are years where some GM pull off a better draft than us or has better FA pick ups. But none have done it for 20 years without a few years out of the playoffs.

BB is STILL the GOAT at 70 and not living off his laurels like that fraud Shula did in Miami (BTW- it is a gross hyperbole to call Don Shula a fraud because he WAS a great football coach just not as great a Bill and certainly not as good as Bill is at his age and Bill will never be the hypocrite that Shula turned out to be.)
Wish we still had the love emoji

Could one of you young people with internets capability put up a web site that documents all these types of stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back